Super Dish Installation Questions

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I just found out from the message that the super dish I'm getting tommorrow is too big to mount on the eve of the roof. Just how big is it? They said it has to be mounted on a pole that they supply. Do they put the pole up? How far from the house will they put it and will they bury the lines? Also what direction, south or east must it point and approx. what point in the sky, 12 oclock, 1 oclock, etc. or if a 90 degree angle what angle would it be?

Have other people mounted the super dish to their roofs? I wish it could go on the roof, I didn't want it in the yard.

Without knowing exactly what type of SD you're getting or your area, I can only give some generalizations. The SD is 36" across and is normally mounted on a pole. I usually will have the dish about 3' foot from the ground. As a last resort, I do mount them on roofs. But even then it's only above a "non-living" area of a house, such as a back porch roof.

Just like a 500, it points in a SW direction. It usually points a bit higher than the 500. That's to pull in the 121 or 105. I hope this helps somewhat

unless you have a 2x6 for a gable or eave fascia or if you have a tile roof , then yes you need a pole mount. if you dont want to have a 3meter dish on your lawn then you should rethink the super dish. get a dish 500 and a must carry dish.

2x6

Well under the 1 x 6 facial board is a 2x 6 roof rafter. Would that hold with some 3 in. lag bolts?

Wrong. SuperDish and "must carry" (wing) dish are two different things for different markets.

Kirk: You STILL have not told us where you are. Makes it difficult to help you.

And NO, you can NOT mount a StupiDish to a 2x6.

You don't say if it is being installed or you are installing it. Either way pole is the only way to go, buy pole at homedepot, dig hole, quick drying cement and paint pole, then mount. The dish <121W Dish is heavy, metal support arm bracket> will be alot easy to aim, then on the side or roof of a house, easy access for future!

SimpleSimon said:
And NO, you can NOT mount a StupiDish to a 2x6.

If you position the foot of the mast correctly on the roof you can get lag bolts into the 2x6 and the header over the exterior wall. That's three of four lags. Include struts and that dish isn't going anywhere.

I agree with mudder if done correctly you should have absolutley no problem with the dish on the roof, just dont forget to seal it up

I have not seen one SD mounted on a pole in this area. Probably are some, but on the 8 miles of streets I travel daily, every SD I see is roof mounted. And in my travels over central PA and NEPA I see many SD's, and the closest I've seen to a non-roof mount is a garage roof mount. And that is more for look angle than anything. I put a pole in when the first installer said I needed one, but it now holds a bird feeder as the second and final installer did not want to use it.

mudder1310 said:
If you position the foot of the mast correctly on the roof you can get lag bolts into the 2x6 and the header over the exterior wall. That's three of four lags. Include struts and that dish isn't going anywhere.
I misstated - do not mount the SD into the END of a 2x6 (the eave end). The bolts do not hold as well going into the end grain.