Super-DMA is being released!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
VOOM has started the rollout of the Super-DMA OTA mapping! Hartford, CT map has been released last week. Other DMAs will be released starting today.

EDIT 03/30/05: The rollout is expected to complete by 03/31/05!

Please use this thread for all discussions related to the Super-DMA. Feel free to post any questions. In addition, I am going to start two new threads:

Super-DMA rollout schedule – this thread will have the latest information about the schedule of Super-DMA map updates.

Report channels missing from the Super-DMA – post here only if you have already received a Super-DMA map, but some important channels are missing.

Super-DMA FAQ

What is DMA?

DMA stands for Designated Market Area. Each DMA has its own channel map which specifies which OTA channels you get program listings for, based on which DMA your zip-code belongs to. The way it was originally implemented, DMA maps did not overlap, so if you were in Hartford, CT, you were not able to see PG listings for NYC stations and vice versa.

What is Super-DMA?

The new Super-DMA maps overlap. In addition to channels in their home DMAs, they include some (but not all) channels from the neighboring DMAs. For example, the new Hartford Super-DMA map includes NYC stations.

What are the benefits of the Super-DMA?

1. You will be able to see PG listings for some of the stations outside your DMA.

2. In certain cases, you might be able to tune to stations outside your home DMA that do not send PSIP data. (Prior to Super-DMA such stations were skipped during channel scanning.)

Which channels are included in Super-DMA maps?

For the initial Super-DMA rollout VOOM goes by FCC's digital contour maps. Stations that are projected to be receivable in more than 10% of zip-codes are included. These maps are not always accurate, so VOOM will be adding new stations to each map on as needed basis.

What do I need to do to receive a new Super-DMA map?

Nothing. The map will be updated automatically. New program listings will start appearing next day after the update, or after a reboot.

I’ve lost all/some of my OTA channels! What should I do?

Your channels are most likely hidden. In certain cases (e.g. if you haven’t done any channel scans before) your OTA channels will be automatically hidden after the map update. This is done intentionally, because Super-DMA maps can be very big and many of the channels in the map may not be receivable from where you are. Make sure to do a channel scan after receiving a Super-DMA map. After that you can hide/unhide channels manually if necessary.

Super DMA in Los Angeles?

Hello, glad to hear about this Super DMA. :D I have a question, I saw on the rollout schedule that Los Angeles will be getting the Super DMA, is the neighboring counties of Los Angeles will be affected too? Like for example here in San Diego, CA where I live? :confused: Should I try and re-scan all my local channels after Super DMA is released in Los Angeles? Your help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Ilya - if we do a re-scan after we receive the Super DMA for our area, will the channels already scanned in be preserved (as I believe is the normal case)?

Thanks for the update and all the hard work on this.

Doug

edtorious said:
Hello, glad to hear about this Super DMA. :D I have a question, I saw on the rollout schedule that Los Angeles will be getting the Super DMA, is the neighboring counties of Los Angeles will be affected too? Like for example here in San Diego, CA where I live? :confused: Should I try and re-scan all my local channels after Super DMA is released in Los Angeles? Your help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)
No, San Diego is a different DMA, as far as I know. Wait until your DMA is announced.

dougmcbride said:
Ilya - if we do a re-scan after we receive the Super DMA for our area, will the channels already scanned in be preserved (as I believe is the normal case)?

Thanks for the update and all the hard work on this.

Dog
I am not positive, but my understanding is that if channels were previously scanned in, they will not be hidden during the map update. However, I do recommend a new channel scan, just to see if you can get any new channels.

clapple said:
I am confused. I thought Voom did not offer locals. What does this DMA have to do with anything?
VOOM "offers" locals via the OTA antenna provided as part of the installation. Your ability to tune to certain local stations and receive program guide listings for local stations depends on the OTA map. OTA map itself and all program listings are delivered by VOOM via satellite.

clapple said:
I am confused. I thought Voom did not offer locals. What does this DMA have to do with anything?

They do as long as it is OTA. Read second post. It should answer your question.

abendx said:
Would Ventura County be considered part of the Los Angeles DMA rollout? (LA channels are our locals).
Welcome to the forum!

You can check which OTA map you have. On your VOOM remote press HELP, INFO, OK, Down, Down, Down. Look for OTA map #. LA map is 0002 if I am not mistaken.

Wow, Ilya thanks. I'm in 21-Pittsburgh, and just rebooted. How do I know if I got the new guide? The channels after the reboot look like the ones before the reboot. Do you have a channel list you can post to make sure?

bryan27, do you have any distant OTA channels with missing PG info?

No, I don't have any new channel lists except for Hartford, CT that I posted last week.

I had to wait for the guide data to return. Currently 2 stations have no guide data. On the Hide/Show channel menu no new channels have shown up there.

bryan27 said:
Currently 2 stations have no guide data.
Wait for those new channels to start showing PG data. I don't know when the update is supposed to occur. I was only told that it is scheduled for today, but it could be late at night. No specifics. I am sure we will hear from NY people when it happens!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)