SUPER-DMA is ready! Hartford, CT is the first to get it!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
VOOM is getting ready to roll out the long awaited Super-DMA OTA mapping! I am waiting for official confirmation on this, but from what I was told by reliable sources, the roll-out may begin as early as today.

Unlike the current OTA mapping that only includes your local OTA stations (that are assigned to your DMA), the Super-DMA will include stations from surrounding DMAs. This will give you two benefits:

1. You will be able to see PG listings for stations outside your DMA.

2. In certain cases, you might be able to tune to stations outside your home DMA that do not send PSIP data. (Currently such stations are skipped when you do scanning.)​
The first area selected for the roll-out is Hartford, CT since there are many signals from surrounding DMAs. Super-DMA maps for other areas are ready too. If Harford goes smoothly, other areas will follow soon.

IMPORTANT: When the Super-DMA map comes in - the additional channels might be hidden by default, so you will need to re-scan!

Here is a peek at how the Super-DMA maps are arranged (see attached files). You will see 15 digitals that come from outside the Hartford DMA, but are projected to be receivable in more than 10% of the Hartford zip codes per the FCCs digital contour maps.

(The 27 original file displays the 14 channels currently in the Hartford map).

FYI: Last January VOOM was supplying listings for just under 1,300 digital channels. As of today that is up to 2,187, or about a 60% increase.

UPDATE: The first Super-DMA map has been just released!

Attachments

• 27 original.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 444
  • VooM_ListSuperDMA_Map27.xls
    16 KB · Views: 927
How will this be implimented ? Is it a software upgrade or do you have to reset your box, etc. ? How do you get the Super DMA if you are in that area ?

My VOOM dish gets put back on my roof tommorow. (I just had my roof redone on my house) and can't wait. :D

I will report how it works as soon as I can.

Lucky said:
How will this be implimented ? Is it a software upgrade or do you have to reset your box, etc. ? How do you get the Super DMA if you are in that area ?

Not sure whether it may be a software upgrade or just code that is pushed with the PGI. I remember that when we were getting mapped local stations for current DMA, it was just code that came with the PGI or a the same time and it did not need a software upgrade. This may be different. Let's wait to see if Ilya can give us some details.

Sean, you think this is the rumor news you were talking about earlier? I see this as Voom is setting itself up for the future and where that may lead I have no idea but could speculate until I'm blue in the face. :confused:

joverstr2 said:
Sean, you think this is the rumor news you were talking about earlier? I see this as Voom is setting itself up for the future and where that may lead I have no idea but could speculate until I'm blue in the face. :confused:

Nope. This is no rumor. This was known for a while that was coming. The question was "when" rather than "if".

So if I live in the Albany, NY DMA (which borders the Hartford, CT DMA) should I expect to see Hartford stations hidden in my OTA listing? Or is it the other way around? (Hartford customers will see Albany channels listed.)

MasterFX1 said:
So if I live in the Albany, NY DMA (which borders the Hartford, CT DMA) should I expect to see Hartford stations hidden in my OTA listing?
Not yet.
Or is it the other way around? (Hartford customers will see Albany channels listed.)
Correct.

The First Super-DMA has been released!

UPDATE: I was just told that the first Super-DMA map has been just released!

If you live in Hartford, you will see the listing for the out-of-the-DMA channels tomorrow morning. If you are anxious, you can try rebooting now. Again, if you haven't scanned in stations before, the new "added" channels will be hidden. You will need to do a channel scan, or unhide them manually.

FYI: the old Hartford DMA map was 0027. The new Super-DMA map is 0270. You can check which OTA map you have by pressing help/info/OK/down/down/down.

CORRECTION: As I was told this morning, the production Super-DMA map will have the same number as the old map: "0027". "0270" was only used for testing!

So, anyone in Hartford to give it a try?

come on hartford let us know something!!!this is a great new feature let us no how it works

Still have 0027 map. Trying reboot. Will update in a little while how I make out. This is great as I receive NYC stations as well as Hartford stations.

Ok after further checking. New channels are added, Springfield, Providence and I assume NYC. They were hidden. You have to look for them. Program info hasn't finished downloading yet so I don't know if that is there or not.

And make sure to do a new channel scan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)