Super Geeks??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
:confused: I do not know if this is another old fart moment or what...

I am getting my basement ready for our New Year's party which is basically a bunch of us staying up all night playing games and high on sugar! In the process some old computers had to be stashed and a few TVs set up for video games. Man those old CRTs TVs and monitors are HEAVY!!!... I had a hard time moving them around! Today's geeks or nerds make up more of the population now since everyone has a cell phone, iPod, computer, video game or whatever. There are now a lot of huge tattooed ape size "nerds" that would have no problem throwing this stuff across the room. Back some years ago the typical electronic nerd or geek was a stereotyped straggly pukey looking character. Computers especially in the eighties were mostly geek candy and the monitors were all heavy CRTs. Early VCRs, reel to reel tape decks, stereo receivers, Ham radio, satellite receivers and TVs were all large heavy items. Satellite dishes were monsters and now a lot have those tiny little pizza pans. Sooo how did these little guys lug all of that heavy stuff around?? Were they "super geeks"?? Soon I might not be able to move my 4DTV receivers myself! The new Geosat pro microHd receiver looks like it should not be a challenge to move for some years to come! Man things sure have changed! ;)

Maybe they took it apart, and moved it piece by piece, part by part(?) just thinkin':confused:

Good point! My stereo system in the early eighties weighed in at 130 pounds! That was without the stand, TV or speakers. This was just a AM/FM receiver, equalizer, 2 cassette decks and a turntable. A couple of years later the CD player and VCR added another 20 pounds. Used to tear down that system to move and for cleaning dust bunnies! ;)

The average geek never had anything bigger than a 14" monitor until the mid 90s because it was do damn expensive. If you could afford a large CRT then you could afford the hand truck to move it plus the $10 to a friend to help lift it into place. A 21" CRT monitor was $1500 just 10 - 12 years ago.

Funny thread Dishman ;) ...

So true about the CRT PC monitors, especially those equipped with flat tube Trinitron tubes. These were incredibly front-heavy, and could break your back if you didn't use proper form in lifting them.

After I got a 17" Trinitron monitor for my computer, I couldn't stand watching TV on a curved tube anymore, so I paid $700 for a 27" Trinitron TV. Me and my dad could barely carry the thing because it was so off-balance, and the overpriced stand that we bought for it that was rated for 32" sets warped within a year.

........Man things sure have changed! ;)
You got that right! I look back at what we had for electronics 45 years ago and what is out there now and the change is really something. If it wasn't for the Country going down hill (the rich getting richer, the middle class and the poor getting poorer) I would sure like to see what changes there may be in the next 45 years.

Sooo how did these little guys lug all of that heavy stuff around?? Were they "super geeks"??

I think it was just because they were younger. ;)

I carry stuff around that makes my father's jaw drop. Most recently I carried 20 bundles of frozen fibreglass roof shingles up a 24 foot ladder in a bit over an hour doing my father's roof. I likely won't be able to do that when I'm his age.

Heh, my 47" LCD set is heavy and took 2 of us to put it on the mount. At work, I installed a 32" LED and I was surprised at how light they are - based on that, I could probably put a 47" LED up by myself (in comparison to a 47" LCD). Wish I had waited for the LED's since the picture quality is better than a LCD. But, one would go broke trying to keep up with technology.

:confused: I do not know if this is another old fart moment or what...

I am getting my basement ready for our New Year's party which is basically a bunch of us staying up all night playing games and high on sugar!

Old fart my Butt!!! At the New Year's bash all the young whipper snappers petered out early! There was no one under 40 left at five in the morning and most were gone by 1AM! :eek:

Watching the younger gen was kind of pathetic! When a couple of youngins attempted to move some furniture they just could not do it! Ole "Fartman Dan" was there to the rescue!!! :D

Heh, my 47" LCD set is heavy and took 2 of us to put it on the mount. At work, I installed a 32" LED and I was surprised at how light they are - based on that, I could probably put a 47" LED up by myself (in comparison to a 47" LCD). Wish I had waited for the LED's since the picture quality is better than a LCD. But, one would go broke trying to keep up with technology.

I just purchased a 55" passive 3D LED-backlit LCD HDTV to replace an older 46" cold cathode-backlit LCD HDTV. The 55" LED-backlit set is much easier to lift and carry than the smaller 46" cold cathode-backlit set.

Jim S. said:
After I got a 17" Trinitron monitor for my computer, I couldn't stand watching TV on a curved tube anymore, so I paid $700 for a 27" Trinitron TV.

Glad it wasn't just me. The 27" wega is still going strong! Still has a fantastic picture. that one was given to the parents,but it and its 36" big brother at home get used daily.

Glad it wasn't just me. The 27" wega is still going strong! Still has a fantastic picture. that one was given to the parents,but it and its 36" big brother at home get used daily.
My Sony 36" Vega with P-in-P weighed in at about 125 lbs bought in Year 2000 was best TV I ever owned. I couldn't give it away in 2009 when we moved. It's officially still in storage at a friend's, but I think he has now earned himself that TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts