Super Joey info needed

htrmommy

Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
NH
Looking to switch to dish, prefer to have the new super joeys, any ideas when they are slated to start hitting the homes?

Also, anyone know if they will run off your home wifi hence slowing down your internet?

You are aware of the fact that the SJ requires a Hopper... It's not a standalone device.

Join the club of people who want more info on the new Joeys. When there is any new info you can be sure you'll see it on this site first, that's for sure.

These are the feature I know it includes so far:
- AutoHop
- VOD
- Blockbuster @Home
- PTAT
- Locate Remote
- Complete DVR integration

Right now I have 2 hoppers and three joeys. Can I switch out one of my hoppers for a Super Joey or do I still need to have one hopper for every 3 joeys? Are the super joeys the same in that respect?

Right now I have 2 hoppers and three joeys. Can I switch out one of my hoppers for a Super Joey or do I still need to have one hopper for every 3 joeys? Are the super joeys the same in that respect?

So far it's been said that you will not be able to do that. The Super Joey is only meant to work with one Hopper according to Dish. We won't technically know for sure until we get some more details on it. Many here believe it will be possible but not supported by Dish.

I have one hopper and one Joey.Will I be able to trade in my current Joey for a Super Joey? Will this upgrade require another commitment and how much will it cost to make the change?

I have one hopper and one Joey.Will I be able to trade in my current Joey for a Super Joey? Will this upgrade require another commitment and how much will it cost to make the change?

There are no details about any of this yet. Very good chance that it will be treated like any other kind of equipment changing and will require the Dish'N It Up promotion with a renewal of a 24 month agreement. If you want to avoid a contract then I'm sure they will be available to purchase.

There are no details about any of this yet. Very good chance that it will be treated like any other kind of equipment changing and will require the Dish'N It Up promotion with a renewal of a 24 month agreement. If you want to avoid a contract then I'm sure they will be available to purchase.

You can have a sj for the small price of your soul......

Buahahaha!

Buahahaha!

I'm curious as to what the actual cost will be on these, especially the wireless Joey. I'm surprise there haven't been many questions on the wireless Joey since it could really solve a lot of install issues for people. I would think it's a fairly expensive device. I have an HD wireless transmitter now to send the Hopper signal from the basement to my TV on the second floor and that cost over $200.

While we're pulling SJ info out of thin air, how about pulling out some winning lottery numbers and sending them to me?

:rolleyes:

These are the feature I know it includes so far:
- AutoHop
- VOD
- Blockbuster @Home
- PTAT
- Locate Remote
- Complete DVR integration

I wonder what "complete" mean. We saw Vivek showing the integration on... Something! But was that a SJ (I think yes), or a Hopper, or another old-school Joey? What if you're on the Hopper. Can you see 5 tuners there?

Or, as Charlie once endearingly said, "Just send us your paychecks!" God I miss those Charlie Chats.

I'm curious as to what the actual cost will be on these, especially the wireless Joey...

Me too. If it comes with the 802.11ac access point, the price may be eye-popping. :eek:

So far it's been said that you will not be able to do that. The Super Joey is only meant to work with one Hopper according to Dish. We won't technically know for sure until we get some more details on it. Many here believe it will be possible but not supported by Dish.

I think you might have misunderstood his question. He wants to swap a Hopper for a SuperJoey, leaving him with 1 Hopper, 1 SuperJoey, and three Joeys. I would say that setup should be supported, as you will have a tuner for each viewing location (based on the old setup of 1 Hopper to 3 Joeys, you should be allowed to have 1 Hopper, 1 SJ, and 4 Js - number of tuners = number of clients).

Has anyone been successful in linking more than three Joeys to a single Hopper? I realize you would quickly run out of live tuners, but the extra clients should still be able to connect to the Hopper for viewing DVR content, or 'Hopping On' other used tuners.

I think you might have misunderstood his question. He wants to swap a Hopper for a SuperJoey, leaving him with 1 Hopper, 1 SuperJoey, and three Joeys. I would say that setup should be supported, as you will have a tuner for each viewing location (based on the old setup of 1 Hopper to 3 Joeys, you should be allowed to have 1 Hopper, 1 SJ, and 4 Js - number of tuners = number of clients).

Has anyone been successful in linking more than three Joeys to a single Hopper? I realize you would quickly run out of live tuners, but the extra clients should still be able to connect to the Hopper for viewing DVR content, or 'Hopping On' other used tuners.

Ok, I got it now. I'm not sure how they will do that. I'm not sure where the Super Joey will fall in line with the hierarchy of receivers. There is no program for downgrading equipment, they can make exceptions though. I assume the Super Joey falls right below a Hopper so swapping out a Hopper for a Super Joey would be considered a downgrade.

I wonder what "complete" mean. We saw Vivek showing the integration on... Something! But was that a SJ (I think yes), or a Hopper, or another old-school Joey? What if you're on the Hopper. Can you see 5 tuners there?

Complete integration between SJ and Hopper. All receivers can see all tuners. It will be the same as having a 5-tuner Hopper. Hopper-to-Hopper integration seems to be out of the picture now, and it's looking like it will never be. They will have some conflict resolution integration of some sort in a future software release.

Personally I'm fine with that. I will be keeping my 4 Hoppers and maybe swap out my Joey 1.0 for the Joey 2.0. Super Joey isn't very intriguing when you already have 4 Hoppers. I may look into a Virtual Joey, and that will allow me to set timers from any Hopper, just like the Joey hardware. Being able to access all Hopper recordings from any Hopper at any location was the main thing. Since that's already there and will only get better, no real urges for more integration here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)