Super joey install problem

The tech did every thing he could think of not to have to replace the SJ. In the end that was the culprit. As soon as the new one was connected bam all was good. Software is up to date. I was lucky he had one on the truck. He said only some of them were allowed a spare SJ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

On a unrelated note I love being able to use prime time anytime now it is awesome and now all my recorded shows that are eligible are showing the kangaroo signal even though PTAT wasn't active when I recorded them. No conflicts with it on now. It is a perfect system for me now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Amazing how that works isn't it. When I enabled PTAT on my family room Hopper, I enabled only for one network on one night and before anything had recorded in the PTAT folder I had the AH Kangaroos on all my PT recordings. I think it's magic!!

Super Joey Wiring Question

I am scheduled for my install of a HWS and Super Joey on Sunday. I have an existing DPP 1000.2 dish with two coax routed through my attic to the receiver drops. I used a DPP separator in my old install so one wire from the dish handled both tuners on a 722. Here's the question. Could a DPP separator be used on one coax from the dish to split the signal to the integrator for the SJ and the solo node instead of running another wire down from the dish to connect to the integrator. Has anyone tried this? Just trying to save some time and crawling in the attic running new cables.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. Since we are dealing with 5 total tuners, that makes sense. Time for the coveralls and dust mask for crawling around in the fiberglass.:(

At least you have an attic. None here and no basement and stucco everywhere.
Won't the installer be able to do the new run?

I have decided to bring in all new cable through the basement. The requirement for 3Ghz coax for the host line hoses my idea of using my old wiring for the new install. Old coax is all 2150Mhz. Bad part is drilling another hole through the foundation wall. Installers are mostly observers on my jobs as I generally have more knowledge than they do about what is going on. With a SJ involved my guess is they won't have a clue.
I just double checked the old wiring and it is indeed 3Ghz cable. Here's the catch. There is a grounding block and a barrel connector splice that would be between the solo node/integrator and the boxes. Is this a problem? Also, can the node and integrator be mounted outdoors under the soffit overhang of the roof? If it can, this install would be a 30min. job. Sure would be nice if this scenario would work.

Last edited:
That's what I thought because I have seen DPP 34 & 44 switches installed outside fully exposed to all the elements without any problems. Should be no issues with the solo node and integrator up under the roof overhang then. Hopefully this install will be a snap and they show up on time as I don't want to miss my F1 racing. :)

Dish equipment is rock solid, like it's made for space travel. I still brought everything in since I'm in Vegas and the sun would be beating on it most of the day, already have a wiring panel in the garage, and so I can gawk at its awesomeness in the garage with the majestic dpp44 hooked up to it all. :D

If only their software were rock solid...
I wanted to report on my install. Everything went great. The tech who showed up was on time and very professional. He actually appreciated that I was all ready for him and able to converse on his level. Although he had only installed a few SJ's he was well trained and prepared. This was a Dish corporate tech and repeatedly stated that he loved his job.
The HWS and SJ took the downloads without problems and connected to my wireless net on the first try. Things started out a little shaky as they were sluggish and search was not working. I remembered back to the old days with the 921&922 and realized these issues were minor. After their overnight standby, things are much better this morning. Search is working and response to remote commands are a lot snappier. So far, I am very pleased and the whole home functions are as good or better that D*. Playback of recorded shows is much smoother over the MOCA net than D*'s DECA. Sling is performing fairly well over the LAN. Haven't been away yet to try it on LTE or other wireless nets. Thanks to everyone here for the help and education on the wiring issues.

Here is my scenario, I had dish installed last Saturday after 4 years with Directv, got tied of paying full price and being a existing costumer "that is nothing they can do for you"!!!
1000.4 dish, (slightly larger, better signal) Hopper, SJ an a J, three wires from dish, solo node, integrator and splitter, wired just like the diagram. After the tech left the SJ and J start displaying problems, I got tired of the daughter and the wife complaining so I went to the attic and replace both the integrator and the splitter with the swim splitter leftover from the Directv install. Third wire from sat to swim in, SJ to DC bypass out, j to out and a jumper from another out to the solo, reset the Hopper and SJ, did a check switch on the hopper and all is good, green MoCA and no more errors.
By the way, the internet is wired to the Hopper and when doing a check switch on the Hopper you need to disconnect the SJ, the Hopper displays the 5 tuners but it hangs after checking the first three.

If I were you I would connect it back the way it was. There may be problems with the boxes or the installation. I doubt that the D* splitter can be substituted for the integrator and splitter that Dish installed without damaging the system. Be patient! The boxes take a couple days to stabilize. Put them in standby over night and wait a day or two. If they are still giving you problems, call Dish and they will roll another truck to fix them. Make sure all components (dish, node, integrator) are properly grounded with a home run 10ga. wire back to the house electrical service entry point ground rod. These systems are very sensitive to grounding issues. "Ground loops" from improper grounding can wreak havoc.

Last edited:
Check network details in the broadband menu. Are you getting green OKs from both the ethernet drop down as well as wifi? If so, that's most likely the issue. But I would also recommend wiring it back up the way it was.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts