Super Joey Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Are Super Joeys still available?
Can you connect 2 TVs one by HDMI the other by component?
Can you view HDMI content over the component connection?

Considering budget conscious choices to connect 3 TVs. Currently have one Hopper with Sling.
I would require more tuners if I connected 2 more TVs.

I have been experimenting with TiVo for the past year and my annual fees are now due. I like some features on the TiVo but have not mastered control of recording shows reliably yet.

I am out of contract and have been a Dish customer for over 15 years.

Considering budget conscious choices to connect 3 TVs. Currently have one Hopper with Sling.

I have been experimenting with TiVo for the past year and my annual fees are now due. I like some features on the TiVo but have not mastered control of recording shows reliably yet.

Your Hopper has 3 tuners what is wrong with adding 2 Joeys that will take care of 3TVs?
As simple as Tivo is to use what are you having for problems recording on them?

Won't that only work with a super hopper?

A what?!? :D

The Super Joey works with the original Hopper and the Hopper with Sling. It is not compatible with the Hopper 3.

Your Hopper has 3 tuners what is wrong with adding 2 Joeys that will take care of 3TVs?

Well, if anything is recording, then the some TVs would not be able to watch Live, hence the extra overhead a couple add'l tuners would provide. That said, if the OP connected the two add'l TVs to one Super Joey, they would really only be using ONE add't tuner, since both would have to watch the same thing. There is one main issue that could mess up what the OP is trying to do, and that is the fact the Super Joey doesn't have Component output. It has composite and HDMI, so only one TV would get HD, unless you also bought an HDMI splitter and did it that way.

If the OP wants more tuners and independent viewing at all locations, he's going to need a Super Joey for one of the add'l TVs and a regular or Wireless Joey for the other one...or better yet, upgrade the whole thing to a Hopper 3 and two regular/wireless Joeys. The latter might not fit that "budget conscious" part, though, depending on what sort of upgrade he qualifies for.

Reactions: littlecloud319

I got a super Joey not long ago

Was it labeled as an antique?

Seriously, I didn't know they were still available.

Was it labeled as an antique?

Seriously, I didn't know they were still available.

We installed a Super Joey with a HWS last week. The customer chose to pay $10 a month for the SJ as opposed to $7 a month for a regular Joey because they didn't want to pay $100 up front for a Hopper 3.

Ok, so I ordered the Super Joey. Now I need the HDMI splitter and a 30 foot HDMI cable. How important is RedMere ? What Guage wire is appropriate 36, 18 or? ??

Ok, so I ordered the Super Joey. Now I need the HDMI splitter and a 30 foot HDMI cable. How important is RedMere ? What Guage wire is appropriate 36, 18 or? ??
Why do you need a 30ft. HDMI? You do realize the SJ has 2 tuners but they can only be used through the Hopper, you need a Joey at each TV to give independent tuning.

My wife wanders back and forth between family room and living room watching the same show on both TVs. One Super Joey at $10/month with an HDMI splitter and a 30' cable is cheaper than a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys on the monthly bill. The 30' cable is necessary to reach from LR TV location to FR TV location.

Monoprice has several HDMI cables that claim to work at 4k@60Hz rates to 50'. Some are active, some are optical, others are passive. For HD, a good passive cable is probably your best bet as there's less to go wrong. Do not go by gauge. Cables that support higher bandwidth at longer lengths tend to use heaver wire internally but a heavy gauge does not necessarily make a high bandwidth cable. Blue Jeans Cable has some excellent articles on HDMI cables. Look at the specs for the cable. I've got a very old Blue Jeans Cables 35' cable. It's large but works great at HD rates and "mostly" works at UHD rates (some streaking initially then it calms down). This happened on BBC's UHD channel that brought us Planet Earth 2 in UHD. Right now, I don't have a consistent source of UHD to evaluate a replacement so I'm waiting until that time comes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)