SuperDish and SW21

ulive1ce

Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
Hi,

Am a newbie and need a little help.

I have a 4500, 5000 and a DVR 522. E* says I need a SuperDish to get local channels on the 522. Ok, fine. They are coming tomorrow to install. Here's my problem.

I only have 2 cables running from the Dish location to the room with the receivers. My understanding is that the SuperDish has 3 outputs and needs 3 cables to the receivers. I think running a third cable will be difficult given the location of the room with the receivers. Can I use a SW21 to "join" 2 of the SuperDish outputs onto a single cable? That way I can use 2 cables instead of pulling a third.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

nope. You cannot mix Legacy (SW21) and Dish Pro

The Superdish will have a DP34 switch that they will use. All 3 ports from the dish will go into the switch and they'll hook your 4 lines to the receivers.

They'll probably run a 3rd line to the spot where your existing switch is.

The 5000 won't recognize the locals (it doesnt have capability to see 121 or 105)

Hopefully they bring 2 DishPro adapters, as the 4500 & the 5000 will need them :)

Thanks. Is there any way to do this without pulling the third cable?

They are bringing the adapters and I'm ok with the 4500 and 5000 not seeing the locals. All I want is the DVR to see them so it can record from them.

Thanks again!

unfortunatelly not..they will need 3 lines.

The 4500 might be able to see it...check the system install screen to see if 105 & 121 are options. I know the 5K isnt (I have one of those) :)

Ok, thanks very much. This is disappointing news to be sure. Of course, it was disappointing to find out that the 522 didn't have the same feature that the old 5000 does in that it can take local channels of the air antenna.

Again, thanks for the help.

yep. Had a 5000 that worked great for that (I could get locals from 2 different areas at the time) but it went POOF!

USe the 508 and love it :)

I think something is being misunderstood here - by me, or by others. So far as I can tell, no new receivers are being added, just a new satellite.

The OP has not told us what his current configuration is. :(

BUT, he says he only has 2 cables from the dish to the room with four receivers. By logic, therefore, the switch must be in that room, and it's a DP34 with an unused input.

Now that he's adding a new bird, he needs an additional cable. No way around it.

Thanks for all the input. He finally did the install over the weekend. He was quite the bozo. Showed up on Saturday and didn't have a pole to mount it, so he said he'd come back on Sunday at Noon. Didn't show up until 2 pm. I have two legacy receivers that DN said I would get free Dishpro adapters for and he was adament that they weren't included. I called DN and while I was waiting on hold, he came by and said he needed to run back to the office to pick up some paperwork (even though he showed me the workorder already). When he returned, he had the Dishpro adapters...he knew.

Anyway, on the set up. You are correct. The switch is in the room with the receivers. We used the Cable TV wire from outside the house to get the third input to the distribution closet. From there, I used the last cable I had to the receiver room to send the sat signal upto the switch and the receivers. That was the cable I was using to broadcast back to the distribution closet. What I did was diplex the broadcast line and one of the satellite inputs on the same line. Did the same for the OTA on another satellite input. It all seems to work fine, although the pictures in the other rooms are a bit noisy. I think that is more related to a splitter or the IR distribution than anything else. Will troubleshoot that this weekend.

Oh, the other thing the bozo said was that my 5000 and 4500 wouldn't work with the SuperDish and the DishPro adapters (I think he was trying to talk me into a new receiver). I pointed him to the installation manual that says all receivers will work with the DPA's. The only thing is that the 5000 and 4500 don't see the 121 bird so don't get local channels...which is ok - don't need them on those receivers (actually, the 5000 is good enough to pick them up from the OTA). But they work fine otherwise.

Again, thanks for the help and guidance. It's all working now.

Some receivers don't work well with the DishPro Adapter and you are right. The 5000 and 4500 don't see 121 or 105

Glad you got it working :)

With those legacy receivers you'd have to do a check switch sat3 to see the FSS satellite. Keep a close eye on your legacy boxes. Dish Pro adapters don't always work for long.

Just when I thought I had it covered...well, I do have two of them now and only really need the 5000. I'll keep my fingers crossed...thanks for the bright outlook! :^)

ulive1ce said:
Just when I thought I had it covered...well, I do have two of them now and only really need the 5000. I'll keep my fingers crossed...thanks for the bright outlook! :^)
It is DISH products they have slipped in quality over the last couple of years. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts