SuperDish and the new HD Packs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

abh420

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Hi,

So I've noticed that the new HD channels are not on satellites
at the locations reached by my superdish, i.e. 110, 119, or 121.

I can only get my locals from 121 (Lansing, MI), and subscribe to an ala carte
international channel (SPT channel 817) that is offered on both 121 and 61.5.
I get it at 121, obviously.

I currently subscribe to the HD Pack which is offered on 110.

Is it true that I will need to get a second dish in order to both get the new
HD channels and continue to receive my locals?

Can I sign a waiver and get locals from somewhere else yet still receive
the ala carte channel?

I guess the biggest issue is that I live in an apartment and my dish is
on the balcony, so it's not exactly the most practical solution to get a
second dish.

I guess what I'm asking is:
Is it possible for me to receive locals (from anywhere), continue to get the
SPT international channel, and subscribe to one of the new HD Packs, all
with one dish?

If not, does Dish have any plans to mirror the new HD channels on any of
the satellites that I can currently reach?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in the Flint DMA and get 129 through a extra lnb zip tied on the 121 side of the superdish. I learned about it in a thread here about six months ago. I can't remember where it is, but search for 'mad scientist'. The only catch other than buying an LNB ($20 or so) is needing a DP44 switch to feed all four sats to receivers ($150+). I think you could do it with a DP21 switch ($20) but you would need one for each receiver and it is messier.

Than you can get the metalic HD with the new receivers. BTW, if upgrading through Dish I am sure this method is not an approved installation.

ok

so the answer is pretty much that I need to do that or
get a second dish for 61.5?

I am a total satellite idiot, so I'm a little bit skeptical
about my chance to succeed.

What's the deal with this echostar 10, is this going to
be SuperDish receivable, anyone have an idea?

abh420 said:
so the answer is pretty much that I need to do that or
get a second dish for 61.5?

I am a total satellite idiot, so I'm a little bit skeptical
about my chance to succeed.

What's the deal with this echostar 10, is this going to
be SuperDish receivable, anyone have an idea?

E*10 is a spotbeam satellite going to the 110 location, it is a much more officiant design, it appears this will allow E* to move all locals currently on the 105 and 121 Superdish to be relocated to 110. This means you will not likely need a SuperDish any longer in the near future, however if you have one already it will still work with 110 with no problem, you would not have to replace it unless you wanted to. All new subs in the near future in these markets will be able to go with a standard Dish500 for their locals or a Dish1000 for 110/119/129 or a Dish500 for 110/119 and 2nd 300/500 Dish at 61.5 for HD.

I've only been asking this for months. Why don't they have an LNB assembly replacement for the 121 superdish that would add on the 129?

they are working on phasing out the superdish to solve these problems. That's what the dish1000, echo 10 spot beams at 110 and the extra space at 61.5 are for. All that money spent on super dishes and they wont even be needed any more...

See that doesn't make sense to me. Bandwidth to me is like money(you can never have too much). Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the LNBF assembly on the SD121 than it would be to replace the whole thing? Plus, you'd have 4 satellites of bandwidth. I don't see why they had to waste the 121 satellite. It all made perfect sense.

Superdish is CRAP

I know the 121 seems like a waste, but it can be moved to a diff loc to still use the sat. The SuperDish was a BAD BAD BAD IDEA!! It is a total peice of S#!T! It tears up people's house, it is USELESS in apartments, (which is where alot of immigrants live that want their int channels), it is not DPP compatible(unless DPP44, which Charlie doesn't want to pay for) so you have to run dual cables all over the house. You have to bury cable from the pole mount(since you cant put it on the house) cable soaks up water... It was a piece of crap, they should've done the E*10 and 129 orbital slot LONG AGO and never even produced the SuperCrap.

ridethalightning said:
I know the 121 seems like a waste, but it can be moved to a diff loc to still use the sat. The SuperDish was a BAD BAD BAD IDEA!! It is a total peice of S#!T! It tears up people's house, it is USELESS in apartments, (which is where alot of immigrants live that want their int channels), it is not DPP compatible(unless DPP44, which Charlie doesn't want to pay for) so you have to run dual cables all over the house. You have to bury cable from the pole mount(since you cant put it on the house) cable soaks up water... It was a piece of crap, they should've done the E*10 and 129 orbital slot LONG AGO and never even produced the SuperCrap.

Welcome to sat guys ridethalightning, but please tell us how you really feel:D
:welcome

ridethalightning said:

yikes.....sounds excessive.....but not according to the tech I had recently...He basically said the same thing...!!!

Anyways - yes, you will have to have a 2nd dish until Lansing locals get relocated to 110.

What about 119. Does anyone know when they'll be moving HD programing to that satellite? I was told that all satellites including the 119 need to to switch over the HD before end of this year.

masterdeals said:
I'm in the Flint DMA and get 129 through a extra lnb zip tied on the 121 side of the superdish. I learned about it in a thread here about six months ago. I can't remember where it is, but search for 'mad scientist'. The only catch other than buying an LNB ($20 or so) is needing a DP44 switch to feed all four sats to receivers ($150+). I think you could do it with a DP21 switch ($20) but you would need one for each receiver and it is messier.

Than you can get the metalic HD with the new receivers. BTW, if upgrading through Dish I am sure this method is not an approved installation.

Im just below the Jackson mich area ( Toledo DMA ) and am going to do the same thing ditch 121 and turn it into 129 and dump the Dish 500 on 129 have had great luck and noproblems with my 121 SuperDish and got great signals.

110 has 123 signal

119 has 117 signal

121 has 98 signal

129 has 101 signal on a Dish 500

With 121 going away in a few weeks you could just zip tie a second DP LNB next to the 121 side of the superdish LNB and get 129. Plug the new LNB into the DP34 instead of the 121 feed and have the equivilent of a dish 1000.

Myself, I just sold off the superdish and bought a dish 1000, came out a little ahead in the end, even after shipping the monster thing. That may not happen much longer now though, the market will saturate and dry up with 121 going to just internationals, or going away all together...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)