SuperDish delayed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
According to the second PDF posted to this thread, the Superdish will be 20x36". If this information is correct, the Superdish is much larger than the 26" reported originally quoted by Echostar in the press.

I don't see many customers willing to accept a dish of this size for their locals. The anticipated 26" size was a non-issue for me, but if it is going to be 36" wide, they had better offer a lot of new HDTV content that I can't get from either DirecTV or Comcast.

Mike500 said:
Echostar had to pay to retrieve a large bad batch of Channel Master DishPro twin lnb's labeled Lot #CCS9601, because they did weird things or died in the summer heat.

Yikes! Is that right? I'll have to check my bad DP twin to see if it's that lot number. I changed it out a few weeks ago because it started dropping transponders, and that behavior WAS associated with time of day.

--- WCS

I wonder what effect these possible delays will have on the rollout of new, additional HD and ED (widescreen) channels? More delays, I'd imagine. Phooey! :evil:

I suppose those ''planned'' cities listed in the latest Dish brochures are going to be delayed until December or next year as a result. The longer they wait to add them the closer they get to waiting for DirecTv to launch their locals. I mentioned before that since DirecTv is having a delay launching their locals that Dish would be more likely to delay their launch of locals as well.

Ken_F said:
I don't see many customers willing to accept a dish of this size for their locals. The anticipated 26" size was a non-issue for me, but if it is going to be 36" wide, they had better offer a lot of new HDTV content that I can't get from either DirecTV or Comcast.

I agree. A 36 inch dish is not acceptable to a lot of people. I remember when PrimeStar was trying to compete against DBS. One of the BIG complaints was the size of their 36 inch dish. I think DISH is going to have the same problem. I can see a dealer telling a customer that they will need a 36 inch SuperDish to get their locals. I think a lot of people will tell the satellite dealer "you aren't going to put that monstrosity on my property; I'm staying with cable".

I can also see having this problem. For those that live out in the country it will not be as big of a problem because they cannot get cable and will have a harder time picking up OTA local channels so they will do almost anything to get their local channels. Those that live in the city or close to the city will not put up with having a dish twice the size of the dish they have up now. They just will NOT tolerate it. It would not have been such a big deal with the 26" deal, only once in a while I would probably get a complaint about that, but a 36" PrimeStar sized dish is going to be a problem.

DirecTv's ParaTodos dish is only 24 or 26 inches wide so I can see a lot of people going with that service instead of Dish Network just for dish size alone not counting the cheaper cost of the dish and being able to install it self. It will also be simpler than what the SuperDish will be.

Also with the delay of the SuperDish this will not help Dish get a head start on some of the local markets before DirecTv gets them. People do NOT like to wait to get their locals. Many will sacrifice having to put up a bigger dish if they get the locals a bit sooner. Waiting until your competition puts up the locals with a smaller dish and cheaper solution is NOT the way to go.

Try living in the islands, two six foot dishes are the order of the day for 119 and 110.

Everything is relative if you want TV and a 36 inch wide dish is really very small, when its on the roof you will hardly notice the difference in size!

I'm just glad that I have my Dish mounted behind a bunch of bushes else the wife would not be happy at all if he had to see that big thing.

Stargazer said:
... Those that live in the city or close to the city will not put up with having a dish twice the size of the dish they have up now. They just will NOT tolerate it....

I disagree. I live in the 4th most populous metro area in the nation, and I will have NO problem with the size of the dish. I will have a problem with no self-install.

If I was living in town I would not have a problem with it and not everyone will, but a lot more in town will have a problem with this, especially since they have smaller yards. People say "I have to have that big ugly thing put up?" around the city while those in the country say "Anything to get my locals".

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have just heard from a good source (but not confirmed) that the SuperDish has been delayed now until December 1st.

Did they mention which year? I would think a dish/LNBF combination would be a simpler engineering job than the 921, but E* has had a long history of not shipping products on time or debugged.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is not good news.....

Massive Understatement

Dish could help out here by publishing info to help the gearheads implement solutions like those being mentioned in the "SuperDish Alternative" thread.

But alternatives are not needed in the short term since there is no programming that needs the superdish yet.

Dish is losing its advantage they have to rolling out those local markets that DirecTv delayed until next year. Dish chose to delay their product (at least in part) instead of getting a head start on those markets before DirecTv gets them.

Anonymous said:
But alternatives are not needed in the short term since there is no programming that needs the superdish yet.

This is a CASCADING problem. I guess have the same content deflates the desire for SuperDish, but wouldn't it be nice to have Superdish + Cinenmax HD + NBC HD _+ Starz HD + TMC HD......

Talk about expectation avoidance, we would like to have content but have no way to deliver (shades of DirecTV limited capacity). What a downer

Anonymous said:

It's the other way around. There is no programming because there is no Superdish (and the means to receive the additional programming). This is just another way of stating what rudolpht was saying.

Seeing that there was an announcement of locals to be launched in November, I would take it that the SuperDish is only delayed until sometime in November instead of December 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts