Superdish install problems

mszumins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Connecticut
Hello
I am trying to install a superdish 121 myself, but I am so confused my head is spinning.

I looked up some threads on here and also got the manual for the install.
My first problem is that the dual lnbf on that dish is supposed to be 110 (right?) but I keep getting 119 dish signal from it. The signal is very weak (66 on transponder/spotbeam 1 and 44 on transponder 19) but I dont feel like adjusting everything today all over again, and frankly I am losing patience here so I am hoping to get some info from more knowledgable people on here and continue working on it tomorrow.
what blows my mind is that I keep getting some of the channels with no problems (HBO-W, Nick) but when I change the channel it tells me that the signal has been lost. How can it be "found" on one channel and "lost" on the other if they are both coming in from the same satellite?

Please, any word of advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

You have your dish elevation incorrect. If you are getting 119 from the 110 lnbf then you have your dish up too high and need to lower it and move it towards the right. Make sure your mast is plumb all the way around and that you have your skew adjusted correctly and do NOT adjust the skew after you set it. That is VERY important along with the plumbness of your dish. If you do not do this it would be VERY difficult to get all of the signals at least with a good signal strength if at all.

thank you
I thought followed instructions to the tee but who knows, I will try that tomorrow and let you know
I appreciate your help

You probaly never do the switch test, this switch test not only confirm to you the satellite signal is there, once confirm, program guide is download to the receiver, once downloaded, you will not be missing or lost satellite signal.

YOu need switch test, this confirm to you the all satellites signal are there if you did it right. Once switch test done, then program guide is download to your receiver and you will not face changing channel and loss other channel..

You will want to try to find 119 first from the 119 lnbf by hooking the wire from the 119 lnbf to port 1 satellite in on the left side of the DP-34 switch. After you get it peaked then you do a check switch then you hookup the wire coming from the 105/121 lnbf to port 1 satellite in on the left side of the DP-34 switch and fine tune it in. You should not have to move the dish very much at all to get the 105/121 signal. Once you get the signal connect 110 to port 2 and 119 to port 3 and do another check switch. Whenever you do this check switch make sure you check mark the SuperDish box or it will not look for the transponders for the 105/121 satellite.

thank you all for your replies
I did do the check switch but it was finding the dual lnbf and 119 satellite signal on it.
now that I got your tips i know what to do.

another question, do I have to search for the signal on any specific transponder or just find the one with the strongest signal. I have been getting best results with Spotbeam 1, and by best I mean 66 :)

Guys, please help me!!

I am trying to make the adjustments that you mentioned. I still keep getting the 119 signal (very strong - 120+) on the dual lnbf that is supposed to be a 110. I tried finding the 119 by hooking up the 119 (middle) lnbf but get NOTHING.

What am I doing wrong here?

You do not want to look on the spotbeam, use transponder 11. You have your dish elevation up too high. What zip code are you at? We can tell you what your elevation and skew should be for your area for the 121 SuperDish. These numbers will only be true if your mast is perfectly plumb on all sides. Only hookup the 119 lnbf. If you found it using the 110 lnbf then you should find it on the 119 lnbf. Make sure your not hooking it up to the 121 FSS lnbf. Looking at the face of the dish 110 is on the left, 119 in the middle, and 121 on the right.

I know the numbers 253 az, 129 skew, 22 elevation. I am afraid that the post is not in the perfect position. I am getting that perfect signal on Spotbeam 1 with the elevation set on 19.
how do i move that dish, which way and by how much? I am a total newbie at this.

I just tried it on transponder 11 and it is around 115 strength.

The LNB on your super dish more likely is a DP Twin for 110/119 satellite plus the 121 LNBF, which all go to a switch. If you all get is 110 satellite from 119 LNB, then your elevation is too high, try to lower the dish by about 3 degree, and move the dish to the east a bit if from behind the dish. ONce you get the 110/119 sats correct, the 121 sat will automatic fall into.

THe best is bring your TV and receiver close to you while you do the adjustment, or bring the TV out door if you has cable long enough from indoor receiver to your outside TV, this will save you lots of time and trouble, put the meter in between the dish and receiver while do the adjustment on out door. set the installation menu to sat 119 or 110 and look at the signal bar., if your receiver at outside too, you can switch the satellite and see the color bar to make sure you are getting all the satellites into
the receiver. YOu also can do the determination to move dish up or down or east or west to get maximum signal on all satellites.

Since you don't has the right meter, this is the only way I can tell to DIY.

sksatellite,
I am getting the 119 sat on the 110 lnbf not the other way around as you are describing it. does it mean I have to raise the dish instead of lowering?

as far as lnbf, what I have is a regular one where two cables can be connected on the left (as I am facing the dish) and then a weird looking one with one dbs and one fss symbol on it. middle one should be a 119 and far right 121 right? at least thats what I was told on here.

I am sorry if I am not using correct terms.

NOt work, I try again to download the file.

Attachments

• bad install on SD 005.jpg
    bad install on SD 005.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 173
this is the switch that I am using
I will try to take photos (raining like crazy today) and post them here when I get a chance.

Try hooking up to the middle LNB port and alligning the Dish on Sat 110. As mentioned on a previous post, the mast has to be plum front and back and side to side. Use a decent level to check for that.

mszumins said:
I thought middle lnbf was 119 not 110
You are correct.

To correct much bad info in this thread:
  • 121 StupiDishes have 119 on the middle LNB
  • StupiDishes do NOT have DP Twins.
  • When you do the final hookup, remove the 105/121 feed from Port #1 and put it in Port #3 - put 119 into Port #1, just like the manual says to (sorry, Stargazer).
  • When getting the wrong bird on a given LNB, the amount of adjustment varies by location. Use the Dish300 numbers for 110 & 119 (available on your Point Dish screen) to get a feel for things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts