Superdish pointing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Britinpa

Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Hi guys
I recently acquired a superdish 105 with a DP34 switch and a 322 receiver. The pointing menu tells me that for my zipcode the azimuth for 105 is 232 and for 121 is 249. I left the elevation (34) and skew (119) of the dish untouched because its last home was set up within the same zipcode area. I`ve been panning it around from 220 to 250ish degrees with no results. I have the dish manual and am following the dish aiming instructions but no sign of a green signal bar :mad: . All it says is "not locked - name not acquired"...So now i`m wondering if the azimuth figures are the same as on my compass (magnetic north) or am I overlooking something else. Any input more than appreciated.

Make sure that the mast/pole is perfectly plumb on all sides in which will make your elevation and skew numbers true. Otherwise when you get one satellite peaked the other ones will not be peaked to their full potential. What does the check switch screen say? Was the 322 receiver hooked up to a SuperDish previously? Do another check switch if it does not show that a SuperDish was connected previously and put it on an odd transponder on 119. If it does show that a 105 SuperDish was connected previously then make sure that the wires are connected the same way that it shows in the switch matrix in the same order.

Are you using a DPP seperator or are you running two lines from the Dp34. My guess is you are running two lines. I could be wrong but if you are. Unhook any coax from dish and run a check switch. This will take a few mins, but this is because the dish is not hooked to the receiver. Once it says problem detected or no switch box detected. Hook up the wires to the receiver and on the other end instead of hooking up to the DP34 hook the two wire to the two outputs on the 119 LNB on the superdish 105. That is the LNB out by itself and it has two outputs. Then set the reveiver on the signal screen to 119 sat. Tansponder 11. Put the skew where it should be and don't touch. Make sure mast is plumb and then adjust az and ele until you get a very high signal. Then reconnect everything through the DP34 like it should be, then run a check switch again, everything should fall into place assuming, you don't have something blocking one of the sats or a bad LNB.

Thanks for the replies. I`ll try and answer both your questions. The dish and reciever were being used together but not by me so I never saw it working. The dish was removed from a roof without changing the elevation (34) or skew (119). Both these figures tally with the menu for 105. At its new location the pipe is vertical and the nearest trees are 150 feet away and are about 30 feet tall. The check switch screen ..
dish1.jpg

I did a check switch disconnected from the dish as suggested. It took 45 mins. Then connected the two lines to 119 LNB. Panned the dish around again and still no signal. I`m assuming I can get something from this system even though there is no account with dishnetwork. It`s become something of a challenge just to see if it works. Would a satfinder make it easier to set up?

Thanks for the replies. I`ll try and answer both your questions. The dish and reciever were being used together though I never saw it working. The checkswitch screen..
dish1.jpg

Details...
dish2.jpg

After doing a disconnected check switch I did as suggested. I am running two lines so I connected them both to the 119 LNB, panned the dish around and still no signal. The nearest trees are 150 feet away and about 30 feet tall. I`m assuming I will get something out of this system even though I don`t have an account with dishnetwork. Its become something of a challenge just to get it locked onto a satellite. Would a satfinder make it easier?

Brit in PA (Wilkes-Barre ?)

The SuperDish 105 is for the 119, 110, and 105 satellites. I believe there are only locals for a handful of cities left on 105, and I think those cities are also on 129; and none of them in your neck of the woods/hills. So you probably don't need to worry about peaking on 105. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/105list.htm

With mast plumb - after the weight of the SuperDish 105 installed;
Skew set to 119 - make sure pan is flat against and aligned with the adjustment ring;
Elevation set to 34 - using end of metal guide;
Azimuth set to approximately 232 - SW (225) to WSW (248);
Cables from the Outer-most LNBF (sat 119) to the Sat-1 and Sat-2 inputs on the receiver;
Go to the Point Dish screen; Select Tuner 1; Select Sat 119, Select Transponder 11;
The bolts should be slightly loose on the Mast Bracket so that you can easily turn the SuperDish, but not let it wobble.

Before you adjust the Azimuth very slightly to the left and right, remember this....
- The receiver could take up to 8 seconds to respond to receiving a satellite signal.
- If you had a single LNBF and peaked it on 119 and then on 110, you would probably only twist the Mast bracket about 1/8" of an inch on the Mast.

Now you're ready to move the SuperDish left and right in less than 1/8" increments, try for 1/32". Then wait for about 6 - 10 seconds to see if the receiver found a satellite, and to attempt to lock-on to it.

If after several attempts with the Azimuth, you may have to adjust the Elevation a hair or two, and then try again with the Azimuth. Once you get a signal, peak the Azimuth and Elevation, but do not touch the Skew. Then move the cable to the 110 LNBF and peak it, only adjusting the Azimuth and Elevation. Then check the 119 to make sure you did not lose to much signal.

However, if you want the 105 sat, then you will need to adjust the above procedures according to the manual.

Without a subscription, you should be able to pick up a couple of unencrypted channels, such as NASA (213), and I think the TV Guide Channel (102). Maybe not, but the Point Dish screen will still work.

Finally got it! Patience and accuracy of plumb definitely important, and of course all the good advice..Thanks

I made the mistake of having my pole perfectly plumb however my dish was attached was only plumb on one side. After making it perfectly plumb and using a signal meter that can see 2 satellites at the same time. I got a better signal than the installer did. :) plumb, plumb, plumb is the keyword. :)

Without a subscription, you should be able to pick up a couple of unencrypted channels, such as NASA (213), and I think the TV Guide Channel (102). Maybe not, but the Point Dish screen will still work

Yeah NASA is there for sure. I had an issue a few months ago and I got to watch NASA everyday for a week. Nothing else would work. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)