Superdish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Just pulled a Superdish out of storage and plan to aim it at 123 W using a single 0.3 noise figure bullet type lnbf. Should I keep the skew set at 30 just as it is, or change it somehow? Hope photo is clear enough.

Attachments

• IMG00020.JPG
    IMG00020.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 145
Hi, how are you going to mount the LNB? If you will have rotation available in the mount it might make sense to zero the dish and set all the skew at the LNB by rotating it the correct amount. The dish might also look a little more normal with no Skew.

Hope this helps, DC

- the original LNB will work, and has a feedhorn that matches the elliptical dish.
- in that situation, you should skew the dish.

- installing an LNB with a round feedhorn, will reduce the efficiency of the elliptical dish
- and as a guess, whether you skew the dish or the LNB, won't make much difference.

I'd go with the original LNB if I had it, and could deal with a bandstacked signal.

Let us know how your signals work out, either way. - :cool:

edit:
Also, we've had members use SuperDishes and similar DirecTV dishes in the past.
Give a search, or if that fails, I'll dig out a short list of some past exploits.

Mostly feeds for football and KTWO ABC . Our local over the air ABC will probably show a different game than West ABC stations, since I'm in the East. Oh, yes, Anole, I disassembled the Dish 3 lnb setup and tried to get the stacked FSS lnb to work in centered position, but no luck, even using very helpful info from Iceberg regarding frequencies, L.O., etc. I really tried hard to get that bandstacked unit to produce a signal, but no way. I recovered the dish from a nearby apartment dumpster -- maybe it was just defective.

Last edited:
If you mount the LNB flush on the dish then skew the dish to what it should be

otherwise set the skew on the dish to 90 and skew the LNB

me personally would do option 1. Set the LNB skew to 0 and skew the dish

OK and thanks for recommendations. Will probably work on this tomorrow and see what happens. Will send pictures.

Wooo Cadsulfide, that is a really professional heavy duty mount for the lnb! Guess I may have to rethink using tie-downs and hose clamps!

If I were going to use a Superdish, I would stick with the original LNB configuration and skew the dish. The original feedhorn and LNB combo are optimized for that dish, and you're going to need all the optimization you can get on a somewhat undersized dish. I usually harvest the FSS Ku LNB from the Superdish and bolt it onto the feedhorn of a larger dish.

Whatever LNBF you end up using, I would skew the dish (since this is an elliptical one), instead of the LNBF. That way, you will get maximum performance from this type of dish.

On an oval dish, skew the LNBF, instead.

his computer is possessed

it does that once in a while where it posts the same thing in 5 minute intervals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)