SuperDish Repoint Cost?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ERSanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Fairport, NY
My SuperDish is mounted on my garage roof. My HOA will be reroofing this summer and I will have to bear the cost/effort of a repoint per the Rules & Regulations.

My plan is to remove the dish at the last moment and use a 1/8" pilot drill to drill thru the lag bolt holes to mark the location of the mounting holes on the underside of the roof. The 1/2" support leg holes are already drilled thru and mounted with bolts & fender washers.

When it comes time to remount the dish after the new roof is on I will reverse drill the 1/8" pilot holes to find the baseplate location and reverse drill the 1/2" holes to find the support holes.

My question is "What is a fair price to have a dealer come out (assume a 5-10 mile drive) and remount the dish and perform a repoint?"

Last edited:
If you have DHA/DHPP then it would be as cheap as $29. If you have Dish Network come out then it would be $100. A local retailer may do it for cheaper. Around here they typically charge around $40-50.

This is also a good opportunity to try it out for yourself. It really isn't that hard (and is kinda fun when you actually get it to work).

Try to peak 119 on transponder 11. Once you do that try to find 105/121. Do you still have 105 or 121, 110, and 119 in your check switch summary screen?

Stargazer said:
Try to peak 119 on transponder 11. Once you do that try to find 105/121. Do you still have 105 or 121, 110, and 119 in your check switch summary screen?

Yup, its for locals....121 plus the obligatory 110 & 119. I probably won't try it myself since my knee is giving me problems with a probable operation pending in the Fall...no sense aggravating it! I figure I can go up long enough to get it down and leave the erection (did I say that?) and alignment going to the best low bidder.

ERSanders said:
My SuperDish is mounted on my garage roof. My HOA will be reroofing this summer and I will have to bear the cost/effort of a repoint per the Rules & Regulations.

My plan is to remove the dish at the last moment and use a 1/8" pilot drill to drill thru the lag bolt holes to mark the location of the mounting holes on the underside of the roof. The 1/2" support leg holes are already drilled thru and mounted with bolts & fender washers.

When it comes time to remount the dish after the new roof is on I will reverse drill the 1/8" pilot holes to find the baseplate location and reverse drill the 1/2" holes to find the support holes.

My question is "What is a fair price to have a dealer come out (assume a 5-10 mile drive) and remount the dish and perform a repoint?"
we are in NC..We just raised our service call rate to $69/hr up from $60 with a one hour minimum plus a $49 trip fee. Materials/parts not included...They did this to match what other retailers were getting..My personal rate is $50 hr with a one hour min..then 12.50 each 1/4 hr there after.. I don't charge extra for cable unless it's a ridiculous amount of footage.....
those are some examples....
Now ..you are complicating the heck out of your situation....Now..if they are just replacing the shingles and felt just reverse drill from the underside of the garage roof..The bolt holes should still be there..This will mark where the mast and struts are.....When you remove the dish and mast just remember to put a scratch mark on the clamp and mast so if you happen to move the dish on the mast you have a match line.....just to make sure, when you replace the dish, crank the volume on your tv and open a window..Put the point dish screen on you tv and the the tone should be audible.....you should not have any probs tuning the dish in...

Had to remove my dish for same reason. I took a black sharpie and made a vertical mark on the mounting bracket of the dish and the support pole. I did not change any of the angles on the dish. I put the dish back up in the same location and just lined up the marks and had a signal. Had to tweak it just a little.

Stargazer the waiting is not under my control. The roof will be replaced by the HOA at their time of choosing, not mine. But I get your point.

Get the DHPP (Digital Home Protection Plan) it is $5.99 per month. Tell them that you need a dish repoint. Then you may be able to get them to come out for $29. After you have that done cancel the DHPP. Before you have them sent out make sure that dish will do this for the $29 before getting the warranty.

ERSanders said:

You might want to get rid of the Stupid Dish. By mid May, all of the markets using Super Dish for locals will be history. They will have migrated to 110.

A Dish500 is really cheap, now. And, the DP34, which you probably have, will work just fine with a cheap Dish500 and a DP twin.

A Dish500 would be easily installed, anew. Why in the world would you want to reinstall that monstrosity. By reshingling, you have moved the plane of the mounting foot. Using the same holes, you will not probably be able to plumb the pole.

Good point Mike, but I'm not sure that I will get off 121 quite as soon as most. I believe that "my" spotbeam is one of the handfull that DirecTV is protesting regarding possible cross-channel interference. Also, I sold my D500...duh! As far as the thickness of the roof I don't think that will cause a "verticle post problem" since the whole plane of the foot and supports will rise by the same amount. Besides there would be a little wiggle room with the support/mast interface adjustment.

Relative to other comment (sorry didn't get the name before I started the reply) I already have the $1.99 coverage and do not want to upgrade (really an economic downgrade!) to get the lower cost install. Besides I believe that one must sign up for 12 months minimum. That would blow out the cost of the remount/repoint.

Thanks for all of the other replies too. At least I know what is a fiar price now.

Last edited:
Some markets went to 129 already while the rest are going to 110.

If you already have the $1.99 warranty then you do not want to sacrifice that in order to get the cheaper service call done. Once you get rid of the $1.99 warranty it is gone for good as they would make you get the $5.99 warranty in order to keep it. In order to get the $5.99 warranty you do not need to sign up for 12 months but I'd pay for a service call (or wait until the locals go to Dish500) before I'd sign up on the higher priced warranty just to get a discounted service call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)