Superdish Signal Strength (121)

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
There has been alot of talk lately about dish 500 signal strength but not superdish signal strength. Up here in Michigan if I get 121 up 70 in some cases that is great. I swear there are design flaws in the dishes because some will recieve 80+ on 121 while others can bearly make 70. I have very rearly seen 119 above 100: usually about 85-95, however 110 is usually always a bit over 100. I always peak for 121, because it is the weakest. This is for more informational purposes than anything...

:)

BSilvertab

sounds about right......some people are so mad at their signal strengths they use 2 dishes
-dish500 for their main programming
-SD aimed at 121 only for their locals or int'l

works better :)

The 121 is a lot better to aim than the 105. The only problem I have with the 121 is LOS issues. The 105 is a different beast of it's own. For some reason it takes me more time to get a good signal on the 105.

The bird at 119 (Echostar 7 240watts) has a little less power than the one at 110 (Echostar 8 250watts). So it's not unusual to see 110 numbers higher.

121 is a totally different animal and runs Ku/FSS frequencies, Ka band frequencies, and C band frequencies. To handle all of this load it appears it isn't able to run the Ku transponders at high power, leaving them at 120 watts. Thus the lower power readings off of that bird. (I couldn't find anything saying they had capability to run high power)

This article nicely highlights the differences as well:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/0002/27newechostars/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts