Superdish to Many Last Month's Rumor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
A month ago a rumor was posted that many folks would need to be getting a Superdish for locals and/or HD. After the Tech Chat, the Earnings Conference Call and the Dish Insider's reply to questions from this forum, is there any reason to believe that any part of this rumor was true. Are retailers/installers getting stocked up with Superdishes for installation and if so, any particular geographical areas. For us HD folks, should we start checking out lines of sight for 105 or 61.5/148 or perhaps 85?

My advice: Never try to plan ahead with Dish.

SuperDish was going to be for HD and locals on 105, and Internationals on 121.

Then it became no HD on 105, and locals on both.

Now the HD on SuperDish is just speculation, so do not act on it.

The rumor is dependant on a bill that is currently in the Senate right now. Lame duck session. Don't expect much until January.

The main part of that rumor is not for HD but for locals all being part of the 1 dish solution. All the people who have dish's pointed at 61.5 or 148 for some of their locals would need to upgrade to superdish to get their missing locals, and thus have a 1 dish solution.

If you are in a market where two dishes are required just don't do anything when its time to upgrade you will be notified.

Funny Scott, I argued for quite some time that Dish would do that very thing and add the lesser viewed locals to the 105 Superdish in order to have a "one Dish solution" , and everyone and his brother said NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! "That can't be, the FCC is requiring all the locals on one satellite and then you would need one dish to see them all. " I knew that Dish would do this in order to escape all that shuffeling around of the existing locals in the 36 markets they are now. IN fact since Dish doesn't plan to add any hd to the 105 satellite in the next year, this confirms my suspicions that they will use the 105 sat for locals and only locals for now. I figure if they do the new MPEG4 compression in the next 2 years , they might still use the 105 sat for hd and locals as well. I still say that Dish won't bother to upgrade the people that Don't want that large superdish. Those people will still see the most viewed channels and Dish can still thumb their nose at the FCC and the Broadcasters out there. I just wonder what Dish will use the side satellites for at 61.5 /148 , if not for locals or new hd channels, can you say Buy Voom!! :cool:

A lot probably depends on what Echostar and VOOM do, I can see them moving all the wing locals to 105 if VOOM was to be aquired by Echostar and E* could then do HD from 61.5 and 148. But, if E* does not aquire VOOM they are very limited on HD from the wings.

The other issue is how long it would take E* to buy VOOM if they wanted to... I think it would require the full FCC/SEC comment periods and such that it could take quite a while before the 61.5 licenses VOOM holds could be transferred to Dish.

MikeD-CO5 said:
I still say that Dish won't bother to upgrade the people that Don't want that large superdish. Those people will still see the most viewed channels and Dish can still thumb their nose at the FCC and the Broadcasters out there.
Mike, this is your continual error. Let's take Los Angeles, for example:

If there is one local channel at 148 currently, and it is moved to 105, then Dish Network must provide a SuperDish upgrade to every Los Angeles customer receiving locals, or Dish Network must turn off the locals for customers without the SuperDish.

Greg Bimson said:
Mike, this is your continual error. Let's take Los Angeles, for example:

If there is one local channel at 148 currently, and it is moved to 105, then Dish Network must provide a SuperDish upgrade to every Los Angeles customer receiving locals, or Dish Network must turn off the locals for customers without the SuperDish.

Why would they have to turn off those who don't want a SuperDISH? Does the FCC rule state that a customer MUST accept (without right to refuse) any equipment upgrades to make it possible or just that the locals must be available with a single dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)