Superstation package - QUESTION

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
In the Houston market we only get KTLA, WPIX and KWGN but not WSBK nor WWOR. I think I may know the answer possibly, a compete clause or something but then why wouldn't the other affiliate CW do the same as MyTV. Can someone clarify?

Thank you

Any station in a market can claim syndicated exclusivity and get a particular program blacked out on the superstations. Even though they could simply black out an individual show DISH generally just does not sell the affected superstation in that market. Even though the CW and My Network TV is not technically syndicated it works the same way. In addition a local station can claim it for the non prime time programming (e.g. Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune).

Surprisingly very few local stations demand this. But one or more in Houston may have.

Any station in a market can claim syndicated exclusivity and get a particular program blacked out on the superstations. Even though they could simply black out an individual show DISH generally just does not sell the affected superstation in that market. Even though the CW and My Network TV is not technically syndicated it works the same way. In addition a local station can claim it for the non prime time programming (e.g. Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune).

Surprisingly very few local stations demand this. But one or more in Houston may have.

DISH also won't sell WWOR or WSBK in the Los Angeles market, presumably for the syndication exclusivity issue. If you are far enough away from the local stations' transmitters, like in Barstow or Death Valley, you can get WWOR and WSBK, though. (Yes, those far-off places are in the L.A. market.)

That's surprising given the hullaballoo over distant nets
I take the Supers just to get WPIX for the 30 Mets' games and to occasionally watch the news from my home town..
I'd be pretty bummed if thre Supers went away. BTW I get all of them here.

The Superstations are part of a different section of the law which in itself is a remnant of the salad days of cable when everyone was essentially sticking up an OTA antenna, picking up a local channels and redistributing the channel for a profit on cable TV.

A reminder that the this section of the law that prevents the stations or syndicators or otherwise rightful copyright owners of the programs from putting an end to this practice is set to expire at the end of 2009 if it isn't renewed again.

See ya
Tony

As always Tony makes agood point. I have mentioned it myself in other discussions on this point and should ahve done so here. Bottom line is that we will see in Feb 2009.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts