Superstation package - will it go HD in June?

Yup, Super Stations were originally plucked off the air because of the sports they had for their local markets.
All Mets away games and some home games on WWOR. Gone
Most Yanks away games and many home games on WPIX, (Not any more),
WGN (when it was a real super station) had every single Cubbies game (home and away) and a substantial number of Bulls games. Now on WGN America Cable Channel you get some cubbies and no bulls.
KTLA had all away Dodgers games and some home games. Now only a few clippers games.
WSBK had most away and some home Red Sox games and many Bruins games. Now, not a single baseball shows up on that channel and the only ice you see is on the local news weather report in January!
WTBS had most Braves games. Now WTBS doesn't exist. There is WPCH which is not a super station and TBS Cable channel has some baseball.

I dropped the superstations when "Enterprise" was canceled (the year before UPN was canceled). :)

See ya
Tony

Channels 232, 234, 235, 236 and 238 (and mirrors in the 8000 block)

KTLA Los Angeles (CW)
WPIX New York (CW)
KWGN Denver (CW)
WSBK Boston (Ind.)
WWOR New York (MyTV)

Super stations became available on Dish Network in December of 1996 (or earlier). KTLA, WSBK and WPIX were included as part of America's Top 50 at its creation. At the time you had a choice of America's Top 40 at $20 and America's Top 50 at $25 a month. WGN was also there but it had already started becoming "WGN Superstation" and was not a true local station as the others are to this day.

In 1998 dish added about 7 or so channels including Bravo and AMC. The three super stations were split off the package that became America's top 60. WWOR was added to the $4.99 "super station package". A couple of months later KWGN was added to the package as announced when forming the Super Station package.

Good find! I knew that they were leaning toward losing all super stations. However I am confused at their rationale for allowing for 1 distant of each network and 1 superstation. If the person is having trouble with the transition and would need the distant stations, wouldn't that person be subscribing to cable/satellite thereby eliminating the need for the distant channel?

But what the heck.

See ya
Tony

I am not sure I follow it either. I guess it goes back to the notion that the "right" to recive any distant station is based not on the lack of availability of local stations from the provider but on the availability of signals OTA. I think that it also shows that there is a constituency for distant nets and supers and at least some in Government seem to care. Though I co not claim a crystal ball on how this will turn out.

I have to say though I don't follow the 1 superstation statement. At this point all but WSBK provide CW or My TV programming-----and WSBK might yet wind up as a CW affilaite. If there is a need for one why not two?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts