Superstation package ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have to ask this question that's been bugging me for some time:

What criteria is applied that gives these stations their "superstation" status? :confused:

Why is WPIX (CW) in New York a "Superstation" and not WPSG (CW) in Philly? Is it strictly DishNetwork that decides?

And, are they not considered "distant networks" because they are CW, MyTV and/or independent and would that change if they reached a certain higher level of viewership or market share?

Thanks.

Actually there is a law that lists the then six superstations. They were WGB, WWOR,WPIX, KTLA, WSBK and KWGN. OnSubequently WGN lost superstation status because the cable/satellite feed stopped being the same as the OTA version.

There is a provision that states that these stations cannot be affiliated with any networks that existed beore certain date. Neither the Cw or MyNetwork did so affiatiting with those networks does not affect their status.

One interesting thing about the superstations is that for years now we have had all kinds of threads abut their demise after some date certain. All we know for sure is that the authority in the current law that allows for their retransmission expires in 2009---I believe in December but some have argued that the appropriate date for that provision is sometime in feb but I do not see that.

I hope that answers the question.

Is it worth the $5.99 per month ?

if you're sports fan it is

Mets on WPIX (25-30 games)
Yanks on WWOR (20 games)
Clippers on KTLA
Red Sox shows (no games) on WSBK

I wish it was like it use to be
Mets on WWOR
Yanks on WPIX
Dodgers on KTLA
Sox on WSBK
Rockies on KWGN

Probably not any more unless you need the WB feed.

In some markets that don't have a WB (at the time) they gave you WPIX or KTLA as part of the package. My locals (Duluth, MN) has a cable only WB so they gave us WPIX in the package. The CW is on a digital subchannel on CBS but Dish still gives us WPIX

Is it worth the $5.99 per month ?

I have WPIX only as some Mets games are carried on it. I pay $1.99/mo. I cancel after the season and sign back up come spring training.

$1.99? I am getting them for $1.50 each.

Actually there is a law that lists the then six superstations. They were WGB, WWOR,WPIX, KTLA, WSBK and KWGN. OnSubequently WGN lost superstation status because the cable/satellite feed stopped being the same as the OTA version.

How about the original superstation? WTBS.

Folks. Watch out for this if you are a DVR Advantage customer and you are in the one of the DMA's with a superstation. Especially the NYC DMA where there are 2 superstations.

You can get the Superstations package with your locals for $8.99 but once you go DVR Advantage, this special on the supers disappear. If you are in the NYC DMA, you are paying twice for WWOR and WPIX so I pay for KTLA and KWGN at $1.50 each or $3.00 total. I never watched WSBK so I didn't bother with that one.

CSR's will not point this out so you must or you will pay more. I figured this out 1 day after getting DVR Advantage and called them back and adjusted my programming.

1-800-333-3474. You want to add KTLA for $1.50 a month.

Keep in mind that superstations are available in MOST (not all) of the country. It depends on your local CW station.

See ya
Tony

$1.99? I am getting them for $1.50 each.

How about the original superstation? WTBS.

F.

WTBS no longer exists. There is a cable service called TBS and an OTA station WPCH. and it lost its superstation status years ago for the same readon that WGN did--it no longer sent the same programming to satellite and cable that it broadcast OTA.

Again, I am paying $1.50 for each channel.

It must be ordered by phone and not everyone qualifies for all the stations. Go to the Dish network web site and see what locals you would qualify for. If you qualify for superstations, it says that there too.

WTBS no longer exists. There is a cable service called TBS and an OTA station WPCH. and it lost its superstation status years ago for the same readon that WGN did--it no longer sent the same programming to satellite and cable that it broadcast OTA.

I know it doesn't exist anymore but it was worth the mention seeing as you are describing the history of superstations.

Also, didn't WTBS have different call letters when it first turned into a superstation? I can't remember what but that was a very long time ago. In the late 1970's I believe.

Agree with Iceberg...It used to be worth the extra $6 a month when they had a great baseball lineup on there. Now, all the RSN's have the games and the other ones are on the national sports channels. Personnally, I had it until a couple months ago. It's an extra gallon of gas for me a month....

I know it doesn't exist anymore but it was worth the mention seeing as you are describing the history of superstations.

Also, didn't WTBS have different call letters when it first turned into a superstation? I can't remember what but that was a very long time ago. In the late 1970's I believe.

I think it waas actually WTCG fora time. BTW if you want to tell the whole story I believe that aLPTV in atlanta now uses those call letters.

they havent had that special for a long time. Its 5.99 per option

Hmm.. Maybe they grandfathered people who never changed from it? I had it from the time I started with Dish in April 2001 until I went to the DVR Advantage deal in February 2008. It was shown on my bill as DishNet Local Package for $8.99. Again, it included locals and all the SuperStations.

Again, they are charging $1.50 each so if you are in NYC, get KTLA, KWGN and WSBK a-la-carte for a total of $4.50 if you subscribe to locals already. If you sub to locals in NYC, WPIX and WWOR are already part of your locals. Don't let Dish charge you another $1.49 as they will if you don't bring this issue up with the CSR.

Anyway, figuring this out and dropping WSBK (that I didn't watch anyway) I pretty much cancelled out Dish Networks price increase this year. :)

I used to purchase the SuperStations package until they had locals put on in my market for a while then I eventually dropped the SuperStations due to the fact that they included WB (now CW) in the locals package so there was no longer a need for the SuperStations package for me. I do not like the content as much now as I used to when it was WB and UPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)