SUPERSTATIONS HD/ ENCORE CHANNELS HD???

The major appeal is the time difference. My wife takes up so much DVR space for her CW shows. She thinks she is still 16. So I picked up KTLA. Problem solved, I can DVR my and our stuff on Eastern Time, and her crap on Pacific Time. She doesn't care about HD. For those of is with these networks in our home DMAs, then no need for HD on Superstations. And this is coming from a guy who only gets the big four in HD. I'd still get WLVI in HD on my spotbeam before KTLA on Conus.

I think that the bottom line is that there is no reason to assume that DISH plans to offer these in HD. They night tell us about the Encore channels but they are notoriously silent about the supers. At the time of the digital transition i spoke to several people at DISH about whether the supers would end then (several on this board insisted that they would and a few calimed that DISH had told them this). I did get some replies all indicating that the digital transition would not effect the supers and that tey had no plans to drop them but that they did not want their remarks quoted.

i guess they just want us to wonder. I would like it if these stations were offerend in HD but it isw no big deal to eme---though I can see why a sub in an area with no CW thinks it is more importanf than I do.

Has anyone heard anymore info on the SUPERSTATIONS becoming available in HD as part of the SUPERstation PACKAGE?Last year I remember ENCORE announced they were planning to launch some more additional HD CHANNELS in their encore package.If I remember correctly I believe 2 of them were ENCORE-DRAMA and ENCORE ACTION.I was wondering if anyone has heard any info on any of these channels? Thanks..

I remember this also about the Encore channels,guess it was just one of those wild rumors.;)

But I do know the addition of any HD channels(hint:hint) is always appreciated because the more HD the better!.:D

I've never seen any reliable figures on how many DISH subs have either the supers or Encore. I suspect not many but I can't back that up. I suppose an argument could be made that if these were in HD there would be more subs although at least in the case of the superstations that might be offset by additional syndex problems.

DISH seldom provides much detail about what they choose NOT to carry so I suspect they will be largely silent on both of these issues. I know that I corresponded with several at DISH when the rumors were flying about the digital transition spelling the doom of the supersatations but I do not receive responses to more recent emails about the supers.

If DISH did offer HD superstations I would take one and "move" home. The main reason why we did "move"in the first palce was to get Cw in hd.

I get WPIX during baseball season for Mets games. (I'm still not used to watching the Mets on the Yankees channel.) But, it's almost unwatchable with the over-compressed low-bitrate signal that Dish broadcasts it with. It's just horrible. (Or, at least it was last year.)

If the Superstations were in HD I would get at least 1 of them and probably more, especially a CW channel as I have no CW anymore, it became FOX, and I like Supernatural on CW. I watch it on my computer.
I do not like to watch SD programming on any channel.

I get WPIX during baseball season for Mets games. (I'm still not used to watching the Mets on the Yankees channel.) But, it's almost unwatchable with the over-compressed low-bitrate signal that Dish broadcasts it with. It's just horrible. (Or, at least it was last year.)
Isn't that kind of like the way they play. :eek::rolleyes::p

Have to agree with you. And to add that CW is the only local we can't get OTA. CW station owners don't want to put any money into getting their signal out from the transmitter. They put a translator near me and it broke after a few weeks. It's been dead for 3 months now and doesn't look like they're going to fix. If PIX were available HD I could take the antenna down for sure. That or if DISH put my local CW on in HD would be the same as wife likes some shows on CW.

I'm sorry, but that is not true. If we went with YOUR logic, then WHY were there laws that DO allow LIL, distant nets (in SD & HD), etc.
Just because a law does NOT forbid something...does NOT (necessarily) mean you are allowed TO do it...

Those things exist because there are laws that allow it. That part we agree on. There is also a law that specifically allows superstations to be shown. True it does not specify HD but why would it? It does not mention SD either. It simply says that the stations can be rebroasdcast on satellite------and the original signal is certainly HD. There are certainly other reasons that discourage DISH from providing them in HD (Syndex) and there is the situation with WOR. It is broadcast in HD outside the DMA and while this may be a "Mistake" we know of no fines or other penalties for violating any provision of STELA or other law or regulation.

I think Dish should just try going HD. Most every thing else in the world today is HD. If the stations complain, take it down. Call it a beta test. What do they have to loose. Maybe thats what there doing with WWOR?

I think Dish should just try going HD. Most every thing else in the world today is HD. If the stations complain, take it down. Call it a beta test. What do they have to loose. Maybe thats what there doing with WWOR?

Yes, let's encourage Dish to act recklessly and provoke a lawsuit or government action.

There are certainly other reasons that discourage DISH from providing them in HD (Syndex) and there is the situation with WOR. It is broadcast in HD outside the DMA and while this may be a "Mistake" we know of no fines or other penalties for violating any provision of STELA or other law or regulation.
I'll bet a dollar it's more about bandwidth than concern with violating any laws, as the laws do not specify HD or SD.

As for WWOR, it's on a spotbeam to conserve bandwidth. And, Dish allows those who sub to it as a Superstation outside of the DMA to receive it in HD. I'm sure they would do the same if it were CONUS. But, it seems obviously, they don't want to devote those limited CONUS resources to Supers. Many folks would love it if they did. But, I guess they don't feel it would be enough to justify the cost.

I doubt very much they care about making waves with the networks and affiliates, as that never stopped them before. Nor, fear getting in dutch with the gov't, as no laws seem to forbid it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)