Superstations in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigdaddyflo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Any news if superstations like wgn, tbs, wpix, ktla etc. being in HD? I know they are in their respected cities so looks like it should be available to a superstation subscriber. Would like to catch the baseball games in hd.

Thanks
Bigdaddyflo

If the "HD" version of those channels didn't turn on when they became available, Dish's carriage agreement obviously didn't include them. That means they'll require separate agreements (for now) or added when the contract comes up for negotiation.

Otherwise, I've read little to nothing about them...

I sent the ceo email address asking about the "superstations" in HD. The comment back was that it was not currently being considered.

I do not agree with this but several others in these forums have told me that the digital versions of the five named superstations are not considered to be superstations because they technically have different call letters than the analog versions and the analo call letter were spelled out in SHVIA and SHVERA.

So, what is Dish and other going to do when the analog signal is cut off, discontinue carrying the super stations.

So, what is Dish and other going to do when the analog signal is cut off, discontinue carrying the super stations.

that is not going to happen from my understanding is that DISH already sells what they consider a Digital Signal.

Just the super stations ?? This applies to almost ALL of the locals that Dish carries today. Who knows what Dish's agreements say in regards to carriage come Feb 2009. Using Dayton OH as an example, Dish only has a contract to carry the analog stations. What will they carry after Feb 2009 ??

that is not going to happen from my understanding is that DISH already sells what they consider a Digital Signal.
What Dish supplies to us and what they pick up from the local stations are two different things. Dish is taking an analog signal and converting it to digital for the majority of the locals in the US.

Just the super stations ?? This applies to almost ALL of the locals that Dish carries today. Who knows what Dish's agreements say in regards to carriage come Feb 2009. Using Dayton OH as an example, Dish only has a contract to carry the analog stations. What will they carry after Feb 2009 ??
I know a couple stations shut off their analog signal already (WLNY and WRNN)..E* still carries both.( I dont think"must carry" applies to digital signals yet) Remember the stations need E* as much (if not more than) E* needs the stations

I know a couple stations shut off their analog signal already (WLNY and WRNN)..E* still carries both.( I dont think"must carry" applies to digital signals yet) Remember the stations need E* as much (if not more than) E* needs the stations
Those stations are hardly typical of most. They're small, independent, and low-power.... As you say, the stations need E* (or D* or cable) as much as E* needs the stations though in this case, I'd say the stations are the ones more in need.

There is "TBS", which is a cable/satellite only channel, and WTBS (and WTBS-DT) which is a regular local TV station for Atlanta. Are you mixing the two up ??

When all this came up I did some digging and found forms at the FCC website that requires DISH to state how many digital subs are watching digital and analog versions of the superstations. I take that to mean that the digital versions count as superstations. having said that the SHVERA authorization to carry the superstations ends in 2009. That may bea bigger threat than the digital cutover.

local stations are a different story. Providers negotiate for carriage of these stations or must carry is involved. While both are authorized under the same laws it is under different sections.

E* does carry at least one digital only station in the DC DMA. I have also heard that some other SD locals are really the digital feed. It would be hard to tell the difference.

just to confuse things further WGN and WTBS are no longer considered superstations although they continue to use the term in their advertising.

The Superstations were substitutes for local WB's and UPN's that Dish did not provide as LIL before the must carry rule took effect. Now that they have been combined as the CW, and because of must carry, far fewer new subs qualify for all the channels. IMHO, Dish is probably reevaluating the whole Superstations concept.

$5.99 x DISH's HD subscribers

Seems to me that Charlie could add a few additional pennies to his piggy-bank if he could find a way to offer the HD signal of the "supers." But I'm sure he's done the math :) ... must not be cost effective; lack of space, maybe, or perhaps there's a legal issue along the lines of the distant network snafu.

The Superstation Package was the reason I switched from Directv 7 years ago, or so! Watch 'em a lot!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)