Superstations No Longer Offered A La Carte Effective 9/19

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
The Five Superstations a la carte package, as well as the individual Superstation a la carte channels, will no longer be available to new and existing DISH customers, effective September 19, 2013.
?

Existing DISH customers who already subscribe to any of the individual Superstation a la carte channels for $2 per month,
or the Five Superstations package for $7 per month will be grandfathered and will continue to receive those channels.
These stations will remain available to customers in each station’s home DMA, where they are offered as part of the local
network subscription.

KTLA
WPIX
KWGN
WSBK
WWOR

Woa! What happened there? Is this only a Dish decision, or will Superstations cease to be distributed nationwide by all carriers? Anyone know if this affects Canadian satellite providers as well?

The Five Superstations a la carte package, as well as the individual Superstation a la carte channels, will no longer be available to new and existing DISH customers, effective September 19, 2013.
?

Existing DISH customers who already subscribe to any of the individual Superstation a la carte channels for $2 per month,
or the Five Superstations package for $7 per month will be grandfathered and will continue to receive those channels.
These stations will remain available to customers in each station’s home DMA, where they are offered as part of the local
network subscription.

KTLA
WPIX
KWGN
WSBK
WWOR

Can we have a source for this?

I had heard through another forum that Dish was sending out surveys to Superstation subscribers (back in May).
Guess they discovered that dropping them was not a deal breaker for most customers.
I think if they were in HD, there would have been a lot more interest.
Maybe AAD will be able to carry them if some die-hards absolutely want them (even if they are only in SD)...

I had heard through another forum that Dish was sending out surveys to Superstation subscribers (back in May).
Guess they discovered that dropping them was not a deal breaker for most customers.
I think if they were in HD, there would have been a lot more interest.
Maybe AAD will be able to carry them if some die-hards absolutely want them (even if they are only in SD)...

Out of all the years we have sold Dish I bet we've had 5 or less customers get the Superstations. I don't see this affecting Dish much.

I usually add for a few then take off for a few. I guess I will have to decide if its worth keeping. I sometimes like to watch the local news

Guess I'll take KTLA. Don't have it now but get in spells where I like to watch LA news, wildfire news breaks and Raiders preseason games. There goes another $2 to DISH. :)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They were great 10 years ago when they had unique programming. Local news can now be had online if that is why you keep the supers.

This was the only thing I missed when I switched from Dish to Directv.

The reason why the supers are not as popular is because they are $7. When they had the deal several years ago when you could bundle the locals with the Super Stations for about $8 per month it was a bargain.

The biggest issue is that its not being pushed to new customers. The sales people are afraid to offer it because they don't want to sell the customer an extra $8 in services to add to their bill that might cost them a sale, and then if you do sell it, many customers today don't see the value.

But in all honestly, the only thing the SuperStations where good for was Star Trek. Every night there used to be a Star Trek Eposide playing on one of the Super Stations

Another fools move on the part of dish, you will continue to have the supers up there but you will simply not sell them anymore after 9/19. Defies logic, either pull them down completely or continue to sell them while they are up there. I would love to know who comes up with this stuff at dish. I agree if they were HD I might subscribe, I believe Tribune stations will also carry the Arsenio Hall show starting next Monday so if your market is not airing it maybe it would be of value to somebody.

I would have really been bummed about this 5 years ago, but with having my locals in HD now, and the Supers still being in SD, I dropped them years ago. If they were in HD, I don't even know if I would still have them.

We haven't subbed to the supers in years.In SD only,I still wouldn't now.Dish has most locals,in most markets now as well.

Another fools move on the part of dish, you will continue to have the supers up there but you will simply not sell them anymore after 9/19. Defies logic, either pull them down completely or continue to sell them while they are up there. I would love to know who comes up with this stuff at dish. I agree if they were HD I might subscribe, I believe Tribune stations will also carry the Arsenio Hall show starting next Monday so if your market is not airing it maybe it would be of value to somebody.
Exactly. Either carry them, or don't carry them. If they are going to incur the cost to provide them to some, why not make them available to all who may want to pay for them?

I guess this becomes an issue in DMAs where there is no CW affiliate. In that case, without a Superstation you are SOL for CW programming.

I've been thinking about getting at least one of the CW supers-again--as the Lincoln--Kearney, Ne market does not have a CW --as of about 3 yrs. ago--it's a FOX affiliate now.
Don't like the fact it's not in HD don't care for SD --but I watch Supernatural.

Do we know for sure that a market without a local CW affiliate that is using a superstation for CW coverage will lose that CW superstation after Sept 19th?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)