Superstations pkg in HD

discreet29483

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Summerville, SC
Any updates on whether Dish will be offering the Superstations pkg in HD?
You would think with all their boasts of being the HD Leader this one would be a slam dunk

I've got WPIX in HD in the NY local package, shouldn't be too hard to port it over to 110.

I think this will eventually get added, but probably not until 3/09 when the analog channels get turned off.... By then they will transmit in HD and have to downrez it for the cable/sat folks....

DISH Network is not able to negotiate a fair and reasonable price that fairly reflected the channels’ overall ratings, performance, and value for continued carriage. Hence we decided not to carry SUPERSTATION pkg in HD.

DISH Network continues to have the lowest all digital price everyday for our customers. In order to remain the best value for our customers and offer competitive pricing for their programming, we, at times, have to have an interruption of service while we negotiate for low pricing.

:p:p:p

DISH Network is not able to negotiate a fair and reasonable price that fairly reflected the channels’ overall ratings, performance, and value for continued carriage. Hence we decided not to carry SUPERSTATION pkg in HD.

DISH Network continues to have the lowest all digital price everyday for our customers. In order to remain the best value for our customers and offer competitive pricing for their programming, we, at times, have to have an interruption of service while we negotiate for low pricing.

:p:p:p

Gee that sounds so much like the standard E* excuse. I seem to remember that they would not carry MLB Extra Innings for the same reason

Dish may still carry super stations after the change-over to digital only broadcast (not HD only), but the channel will remain in standard definition.

Remember the 2/19/09 change-over for broadcasters is to go digital, NOT high definition.

See ya
Tony

Dish may still carry super stations after the change-over to digital only broadcast (not HD only), but the channel will remain in standard definition.
That would be a shame. The super stations in HD would enable Dish to provide most people with an HD CW affiliate (providing CW lasts past this year).

The argument is that the legislation specifically mentions the super stations with call letters followed by -TV. The Digital stations are -DT. The Cheif will point out that the DT designation is temporary and the legislation has a clause to allow the reporting of digital stations, but none of us are lawyers. At this point, I am not certain of anything. :)

See ya
Tony

The argument is that the legislation specifically mentions the super stations with call letters followed by -TV. The Digital stations are -DT. The Cheif will point out that the DT designation is temporary and the legislation has a clause to allow the reporting of digital stations, but none of us are lawyers. At this point, I am not certain of anything. :)
Not to mention that Dish Network already uses the digital versions at it's POP in the superstation cities, so we are already seeing them in digital, just not HD.
The analog shutdown in Feb. will not affect that.

Remember the 2/19/09 change-over for broadcasters is to go digital, NOT high definition.

See ya
Tony

Well KTLA's digital broadcast is in HD, altho' Dish doesn't even carry it locally in HD. But after the transition this HD signal would be the only signal available for them to carry right?

Well KTLA's digital broadcast is in HD, altho' Dish doesn't even carry it locally in HD. But after the transition this HD signal would be the only signal available for them to carry right?
It would just be downressed to 480i, which Dish (and Directv) already do for markets where the POP has been switched to digital.

I know that I promised not to post but.....

There is some controversy on whether DISH can broadcast a dital version of the superstations---SD or HD.

According to some only the analog versions of the superstations count as Superstations. This is based on the fact that SHVERA names the superstations but specifically uses the -TV in naming them and the digital versions are currently designated -DT. Some people also point out that the SHVERA authority expires in Feb 2008.

Some others including myself point out that DISH is actually required to file (for copyrightt purposes) a regular report on the number of viewers subbing to digital and analog versions of the superstations. That is an odd requirement if there are no digital superstations.

In addition those who claim that the SHVERA authotity expires in Feb 2009 are incorrect. SHVERA authorizes superstation carriage through Dec 31 2009. not Feb 2009.

I have asked Echostar and the stations. Echostar and one superstation have replied and told me that the posters stating that the digital versions of the supers are not superstations are incorrect. the superstation in question (WSBK) also told me that the -DT designation will go away in Feb 2009. FWIW Echostar also added that they have no current plans to offer any of the stations in HD as part of that package. So Tony may be right about carriage in SD only.

having said that several have told me off line that they have heard people at Echostar tell them that the exact opposite is true.

So draw your own conclusion.

BTW the argument about negotiating a fair and reasonable price does not hold water. No negotiations are necessary to carry the supers. Any carrier that offers them pays the price established by the copyright office. They do not negotiate with the individual stations or the ownership groups.

So that is where it is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts