Superstations

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Has anyone heard if the superstations are going to continue on Dish Network after the DTV transition in February? And does anyone think we'll ever have them in HD someday?

:confused:

Problem is that the FCC is ambiguous on superstation status post transition. A lot of the enabling legislation talks about analog rebroadcast, but there is some conflicting digital wording written in as well.

My guess is that the sd versions will be continued to be offered after the changeover until and unless someone forces a ruling. The risk to going HD is that an objection by a local CW station could shut the whole superstation concept down.

I thought Superstaions was part of SHIVRA, and would stay as is until the Act is re-newed in some form. It would seem to me that Superstations are safe until the Act expires and the new renegotiated Act becomes law, and, at that point, there may be pressure to kill the Superstations, (NAB?) but certainly not from Tribune, who is being paid $$$ for their "Superstation" locals during this most bankrupt time of theirs.

FYI: Dish Network is already using the digital OTA/Fiber feed channels as the source for the Superstations. The signals were not interrupted during the "digital readiness" tests on december 17 so, as long as the authorization is there (and really that is the question), Superstations have until Dec 31 2009 (a year and a day) to live before that section of the law needs to be reauthorized to allow super stations.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts