Supplying the Internet to an HR20-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
I have a question. I have an HR20-700 and I want to supply it with high speed Internet access so that I can download VOD programs as well as CE releases. Is there anyway that I can do this wirelessly. I have a wireless G router with a wireless network in my home. But, my router is a completely different room then my DTV IRD and running an Ethernet cable through the house isn't really an option. Is there any wireless device that I can hook up to the HR20-700 to get the Internet to it? I have seen those wall outlet Internet extender things, but I heard they are really crappy. Is their any other option to get Internet to my receiver?

The Buffalo converter works great but is hard to find because there is an injunction against Buffalo over a patent dispute. Several others, as well as wireless gaming adapters are available.

I was using a Buffalo bridge on my HR21 which is about 60 feet from my router and the signal goes through several walls. I found it pretty sensitive to positioning for DOD plus music and pictures but I was unable to get Media Share video to work at all (I didn't have any problem when testing in the same room as the router or through a single wall).

Last week I replaced it with a couple of Directv's HD DVR Networking kits. These are HomePlug devices which use your home electrical wiring. The devices are made by tii networktechnologies (an OEM supplier) and one is needed at the DVR with another connected to your router (short ethernet cables are included). The price is $35 for the standard units and $60 for one built into a powerstrip (which include surge suppression). I bought two of the latter and they have been working without problems for several days. They are rated at up to 85 Mbps, but I haven't actually tested this.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have a Cicuit City Gift card for $100 that I could like to use. Is there anything at Circuit City that I can buy that would work and give me wireless internet?

Last week I replaced it with a couple of Directv's HD DVR Networking kits. These are HomePlug devices which use your home electrical wiring. The devices are made by tii networktechnologies (an OEM supplier) and one is needed at the DVR with another connected to your router (short ethernet cables are included). The price is $35 for the standard units and $60 for one built into a powerstrip (which include surge suppression). I bought two of the latter and they have been working without problems for several days. They are rated at up to 85 Mbps, but I haven't actually tested this.
Where did you get these?

Yep, just likely the current season's release of what I posted. You can verify that on the D-link cross-ref web site. dlink.com

Yep, just likely the current season's release of what I posted. You can verify that on the D-link cross-ref web site. dlink.com
What kind of setting up did you have to do in order to get it working?

OK, now this can get involved; are you/will you be running it secured (recommended) or unsecured?

You will need to set IPs and such; it really is not to hard with the user manual, but to explain it step by step if you are not working with it can be involved and overly confusing.

Then you will need to setup the IP of the bridge and also set the WEP code on it before it will access your network. I would also suggest setting up static DHCP in your network if you have not yet.

I guess im gonna go get that new gaming adapter tomorrow and try it out

I have a question. I have an HR20-700 and I want to supply it with high speed Internet access so that I can download VOD programs as well as CE releases. Is there anyway that I can do this wirelessly. I have a wireless G router with a wireless network in my home. But, my router is a completely different room then my DTV IRD and running an Ethernet cable through the house isn't really an option. Is there any wireless device that I can hook up to the HR20-700 to get the Internet to it? I have seen those wall outlet Internet extender things, but I heard they are really crappy. Is their any other option to get Internet to my receiver?

CE releases come on satellite only. Ethernet is used for VOD and can be used instead of phone line.

I have seen those wall outlet Internet extender things, but I heard they are really crappy.

You heard wrong. There is some confusion in the market because a couple of manufacturers released products that use proprietary chipsets that don't communicate with other manufacturers' devices (D-Link and Netgear's 200Mbps products are the ones to avoid). If you stick to adapters that have the HomePlug certification they'll work great and you'll be extremely surprised at how easy it is to network your HR20 using them.

You heard wrong. There is some confusion in the market because a couple of manufacturers released products that use proprietary chipsets that don't communicate with other manufacturers' devices (D-Link and Netgear's 200Mbps products are the ones to avoid). If you stick to adapters that have the HomePlug certification they'll work great and you'll be extremely surprised at how easy it is to network your HR20 using them.

Phoenix1 is right. As far as ease of setup, wired networking is best, homeplug second and wireless a distant third. As far as speed, it is generally the same. Wireless is rated as having a higher speed, but interference and misconfiguration often limit the speed and/or reliability.

I have a WEP secured network...

No secure your network in WPA if possible. Your network is so insecure with WEP. I can hack into it within 30 seconds if needed. (As a Network Administrator its my job to know how to do these things so I don't condone hacking into your neighbors wireless.) Google WEP hacking for more details or you can see the videos on youtube. Your network is soooo vulnerable.

Easiest way to network your HR20 to your router would be with a pair of these HomePlugAV to Ethernet adapters. Plug one into the Ethernet port on your HR20 and the other into an open Ethernet port on your router. About a half a second later they are talking to each other. Run the network setup routine on your HR20 and it'll be talking to DirecTV via the Internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)