Support for "TVGuide on Screen"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpezz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
The people at Dish Technical support haven't got a clue when it comes to understanding anything outside of their box. Does anyone know why cable but not satellite systems support "TVGuide on Screen"?

Any reason why satellites don't support the TVGuide Channel so you can find out what's on more than 48 hours in advance? :confused:

I think what he means is when you have cable, the guide is from TV-Guide not from the cable co, like dish, the guide is from the box updated via the sat.

In cable the guide has the TVGuide logo and looks just like the TVGuide channel...

I've gotton into my new place witht he free cable. While the picture is great compaired to dish (pretty damn surprising considering) the locals are a tad fuzzy but nothing I can't deal with in order to toss Dish. The channel your talking about is about as worthless as tits on a flying boar hog. After using the one Dish provides I can't see how anyone in their right mind would want such a worthless channel causing an already compressed signal to need more compression. I'm looking into the TiVo deal but I want to make sure it's worth a crap before I toss out the bucks to buy hardware.

i like the program description on dish much better than my cable box because they tell you if the show is new or not. i like that my cable box goes a week in advance.

Let me make it clearer:

jpezz said:
The people at Dish Technical support haven't got a clue when it comes to understanding anything outside of their box. Does anyone know why cable but not satellite systems support "TVGuide on Screen"?

TVGuide on Screen" is a feature that allows the TVGuide information to be downloaded into a compatable device. My Philips DVDRecorder has a hard disk as well as the ability to burn DVDs. It supports this feature which is like a free version of TiVo. You get the ability (on the recorder) to select shows by name and it automatically starts/stops the recorder and asigns the program name to the recording. For analog cable, this is great as it switches the recorder on, goes to the channel and records. For digital cable, it sends out an IR signal to turn on the Cable Box and switch it to the right channel. I bought the unit prior to going to Dish.
Now I have to manually set the start/stop time on the DVR and it doesn't pick up the program name.

TVGuide on Screen" is NOT the TV Guide channel although it is related. It is information downloaded to compatable devices.

Any reason why satellites don't support the TVGuide Channel so you can find out what's on more than 48 hours in advance? :confused:

Someone mentioned that they get two weeks worth of info on their Dish DVR. On my 322s, I only get 48 hours.

Hmm, Why doesn't your DVD player have that guide information independent of the recievers?

Anyway I think the 322 can still send out a IR signal to VCRs/DVDs to start and stop them.

jpezz said:
Someone mentioned that they get two weeks worth of info on their Dish DVR. On my 322s, I only get 48 hours.
the DVR receivers get up to 8.5 or 9 days of extended guide, that is stored on it's hard disk.

BFG said:
Hmm, Why doesn't your DVD player have that guide information independent of the recievers?

Uh! Think about it. Where would the recorder get that information, if not from the receiver?

BFG said:
Anyway I think the 322 can still send out a IR signal to VCRs/DVDs to start and stop them.

That's another issue. Yhe manual lists all sorts of VCRs and other devices that can be programmed into the Dish Remote (and the IR) but not a single DVDR. So I tried the two Philips DVDs listed. No luck. So I went to the Dish web site and found a third, No luck. So I tried having the Dish remote do a scan to see if it would qork. No luck. So I called Tech support and they knew less than me. Of course, Ohilips tech support knew even less than Dish support.

Either the "TVGuide on screen" or the IR blaster would solve my problem but neither works.

John
:(

MAybe the reaon people thought you were referrin to the TV Guide CHANNEL and not "TV GUide on SCreen" is that you called it the TV Guide Channel.

Geronimo said:
MAybe the reaon people thought you were referrin to the TV Guide CHANNEL and not "TV GUide on SCreen" is that you called it the TV Guide Channel.

No! The TVGuide Channel was a separate question and I only brought it up because my 322s only provide 48 hours of advance channel information. Sorry about the confusion.

jds44 said:
Get an dish DVR.

I can't upgrade. I am "not eligible". I also have a perfectly good DVR with 80MB hard disk and ability to create DVDs. It is only six months old but preceeded my joining Dish.

I can't upgrade. I am "not eligible".
You CAN upgrade - by buying a 50x DVR outright.

Not to be selling stuff here, but my boss has a nice 501, verified clear, that he'll sell you for $125 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

i know what your talking about, the tv guide that downloads with some dvd recorders. this feature on the dvd recorder will not work with satellite dish , sorry. i'm in the same boat. the only dvd recorder i know of that will let the onscreen guide download with satellite use is the sony rdr hx 900, and still in the sony owners manual (which i have read) it still might not work depending on your set top box. what i have found useful on my dvd recorder (pioneer dvr 520hs) is to use a function like syncro record. this will let you set a timer on your dish reciever and the recorder will record when it gets a signal from the set top box and it will stop recording when the singal goes off. you have to turn your set top box off after setting the timer for this to work. check your owners manual you might have this function, its the best we can do.

jpezz said:

Well if you want 2000 channels worth of useless local :eek: :eek: tv guide data i suppose they could

... a function like syncro record. this will let you set a timer on your dish reciever and the recorder will record when it gets a signal from the set top box and it will stop recording when the singal goes off. ...
Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work with most (all?) E* receivers. They keep at least a black-level signal active at all times. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)