Support for up to 8 remote controls IR codes (instead of 2)

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
Whatever happened to this item in the releases? I only see it listed in the 10/31 release and didn't see it in the national release in Nov. I need this functionality otherwise I'm returning my Slingbox HD Pro.
Thanks,
Jeff

It is in the current cycle of HR2x releases. If you download tonight you will have it.

It is not in the notes because it was added last cycle, but removed for the national release (had not been tested enough)

I'll add it to the notes tonight.

And it DOES work great for the Slingbox Pro to enable code 00002 for double HR2x.

Can someone post simple instructions to give a Slingbox Pro-HD the ability to control a second HR20 programmed as AV1?

Can someone post simple instructions to give a Slingbox Pro-HD the ability to control a second HR20 programmed as AV1?

Once your receiver is upgraded to software version 02AF (in the next few days or week - DirecTV started rolling it out today).

Menu->Setup->Remote->Advanced.

Set the second receiver to remote code 2.

Program your remote (via the on-screen instructions) to 00002.

Setup your slingbox video input (alternate input that the second receiver is on) as a DirecTV receiver with remote code 2 (there is only one model listed with remote code 2, and it will work - regardless of the actual model number).

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Once your receiver is upgraded to software version 02AF (in the next few days or week - DirecTV started rolling it out today).

Menu->Setup->Remote->Advanced.

Set the second receiver to remote code 2.

Program your remote (via the on-screen instructions) to 00002.

Setup your slingbox video input (alternate input that the second receiver is on) as a DirecTV receiver with remote code 2 (there is only one model listed with remote code 2, and it will work - regardless of the actual model number).

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks for this info, I successfully changed the code to 00002 and can now control my seconds HR20 on my slingbox.

But now I have a problem, I have 2 HR20's and an H20 in the same room, I was able to control all 3 by setting the AV1 to 00003 for the 2nd HR20 and AV2 to 00002 for the H20. Now both the HR20 and the H20 are using code 00002 and I cannot find a way to change the code for the H20 to 00003. I don't use the H20 much (really only as a failsafe if the DVR's go belly up) but I don't want the remote to be controlling both boxes at the same time. I put something in front of the IR on the H20 so it won't "see" the codes sent from the remote, but I'd like a more elegant solution than this.

Any help would be appreciated. I have the latest software on the H20 0x4104 dated yesterday 01/24/09.

Thanks.

Dennis

Set the H20 back to the default address 00001.

Wouldn't that mean the DirecTV spot would control? I already have my 1st HR20 DVR on the DirecTV switch, my 2nd DVR HR20 on the AV1 switch with code 00002 and I want the H20 on the AV2 switch hopefully with code 00003 or at least something different than 00002.

I couldn't find anywhere that I could change the code for the H20 device like you can for the HR20 (after the 02AF release). When I went to the menu setup for AV1 and AV2 the only option it shows it code 00002.

Thanks.

No, it doesn't matter what device you use for whatever address, av2 can be programmed with code 00001.

The H20's haven't received an upgrade with advanced IR codesets, it only knows codes 00001 & 00002 at this time.

To program AV2 with code 00001:

1. av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT For two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

Cover the HR20 that is programmed for 00002, while you switch the other. Now slide back to the device with code 00002, and enter the menu of the receiver:

1. Menu> parental, favs, & setup> system setup> remote> receiver mode>
2. you will see either Directv or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both
3. choose Directv, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, slide to AV2 which should be programmed with code 00001
4. press done and exit the menu

Could you just put the H20 in RF mode? Or do you have to use IR?

I couldn't get RF to work. I think I have the right Remote -- RC64R is supposed to be RF, I went through the setup on the box and on the remote and the box didn't respond after I put in the code the way it told me. So I reverted to IR.

So I guess I'm left with covering up the front of the box (and it's tough to find something to obscure the signal, paper doesn't do it), until a software update allows me to tell it to use 00003 like on the HR20's.

I couldn't get RF to work. I think I have the right Remote -- RC64R is supposed to be RF, I went through the setup on the box and on the remote and the box didn't respond after I put in the code the way it told me. So I reverted to IR.

So I guess I'm left with covering up the front of the box (and it's tough to find something to obscure the signal, paper doesn't do it), until a software update allows me to tell it to use 00003 like on the HR20's.

Lets see, you couldn't get the RF to work, many can. You couldn't follow the directions above to get the H20 to use code 00001 on AV2 device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see, you couldn't get the RF to work, many can. You couldn't follow the directions above to get the H20 to use code 00001 on AV2 device.

If you read my original post you would see that my goal was to control the 2 DVR's with my slingbox, which I am now able to do with DVR #1 set to 00001 (controlled by the DirecTV position on the remote) and with DVR #2 set to 00002 (controlled by the AV1 position on the remote). Previous to release 02AF this was impossible because you could not set the HR20 to use 00002, it would only use 00003 which could not be controlled by the slingbox remote codes.

So my dilemma is now that HR20-700 - DVR#1 uses code 00001 and HR20-100 - DVR#2 uses 00002 and the only codes that are possible for the H20 (receiver #3) are 00001 (if set to DirecTV) or 00002 (if set to AV1/AV2). My question was is there a way to set the H20 to 00003 so that when I'm using my remote I am not controlling 2 boxes at the same time.

Your advice to set it to 00001 was stupid because, although I know I can change the remote position AV1 to 00001, the DirecTV position is also sending 00001, so what's the point.

I don't know why RF didn't work, I followed the directions, but the box did not respond after gong through the procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this info, I successfully changed the code to 00002 and can now control my seconds HR20 on my slingbox.

But now I have a problem, I have 2 HR20's and an H20 in the same room, I was able to control all 3 by setting the AV1 to 00003 for the 2nd HR20 and AV2 to 00002 for the H20. Now both the HR20 and the H20 are using code 00002 and I cannot find a way to change the code for the H20 to 00003. I don't use the H20 much (really only as a failsafe if the DVR's go belly up) but I don't want the remote to be controlling both boxes at the same time. I put something in front of the IR on the H20 so it won't "see" the codes sent from the remote, but I'd like a more elegant solution than this.

Any help would be appreciated. I have the latest software on the H20 0x4104 dated yesterday 01/24/09.

Thanks.

Dennis

No, you reread this post, you say you have 3 receivers in it, one HR20 set to code 00003, and a HR20 & H20 both set to code 00002. No where does it say you have receiver set to code 00001!!

That why my first response to you mentioned using code 00001. Your response was it can't be done. Which my second post proved it can.

Sorry Dennis, lets get this working, you have the Hr20's using codes 00001 & 00002. That means the only thing is to put the H20 into RF mode, please follow these directions:

Cover the HR20 set to code 00002 for now. And with RF antenna attached to the H20 receiver, enter the menu of the H20:

1. menu> parental, favs & setup> system setup> remote> IR/RF>
2. you will see either IR or RF, click whichever to reveal both
3. either press RF or RF & DONE, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, do the following on the RF remote:

a) av2
b) press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
c) enter 9 6 1
d) press CH UP key
e) enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
f) press SELECT

Remember to tell a RF remote from IR remote, check for the FCC sticker on the back of the remote.

The remote you listed should do RF.

Edmund's steps above are right.

When I did this, I set the directv swoosh option on the remote to RF mode for the H20.

The AV1 to 00001 for the 1st HR20, and AV2 to 00002 for the second HR20.

That let the remote control all 3 and the slingbox control the 2 HR20s.

I'm not sure if you can set the AV2 mode to RF, never tried it.

Cover the HR20 set to code 00002 for now. And with RF antenna attached to the H20 receiver, enter the menu of the H20:

1. menu> parental, favs & setup> system setup> remote> IR/RF>
2. you will see either IR or RF, click whichever to reveal both
3. either press RF or RF & DONE, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, do the following on the RF remote:

a) av2
b) press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
c) enter 9 6 1
d) press CH UP key
e) enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
f) press SELECT

Remember to tell a RF remote from IR remote, check for the FCC sticker on the back of the remote.

The remote you listed should do RF.

Edmund's steps above are right.

When I did this, I set the directv swoosh option on the remote to RF mode for the H20.

The AV1 to 00001 for the 1st HR20, and AV2 to 00002 for the second HR20.

That let the remote control all 3 and the slingbox control the 2 HR20s.

I'm not sure if you can set the AV2 mode to RF, never tried it.

OK, that worked. The problem was I was trying to set AV1 to RF and it wouldn't take. I switched the H20 from AV1/AV2 to DirecTV, then switched to RF, did the thing on the remote and it worked. But it doesn't work very well, it is very sluggish in RF in the DirecTV position, although it works fine in IR on Positions AV1 & AV2. Oh well, as I said, I don't use the H20 very much, but didn't want it being controlled by 00001 or 00002 because of the HR20's -- so mission accomplished.

Thanks.

For future reference - I think RF mode only works on the DirecTV swoosh remote option, not AV1/AV2.

i'm sorry but you're wrong, I have 3 different receivers controlled by RF, using one RF remote.

For device to accept RF remote programming it has to be programmed with one of the following IR codes from 00001-00008. In the case of older RF remotes, 00001-00004.

When you're switching receiver and remote from IR mode to RF mode, its best the device is programmed with address the receiver was programmed for. But in the case where you're programming a second RF remote to given receiver already in RF mode, it doesn't matter what the device's SAT IR address is, just that it is one. And not a dvd, vcr, or audio receiver code.

Another thing, when in the remote menu, the word Directv is the receivers name for code 00001. And AV1/AV2 is the alternate code, either 00002 or 00003. So in this case Directv & AV1/AV2 have nothing to do with device names. Any device, other than TV, can be programmed with any SAT address code.

You could have a H20 set code 00001, then program the remote like this, code 00001 on AV2 device and code 00002 on the Directv device. The Directv device wouldn't conttrol the receiver, but AV2 would.

But now you wish to change the receiver to code 00002, with the remote in AV2 device, enter the menu of the receiver:

1. menu> parental, fav's, & setu> system setup> remote> receiver mode>

2. you will see either Directv or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both

3. chose AV1/AV2, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, now slide to the Directv device which has code 00002 on it

4. press DONE and exit the menu

You see the device you start with and end with is meaningless, just the codes that programmed to them.

Last edited:
Hmm, I never could get it to work with more than one RF, and hawk was having problems.

I wonder if it is just certain remotes that can do that? I just have an old RC24.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts