Support Pole Woe's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Well I was all set on putting my pole in the ground after the "Well Drilling" mcompany brought out the pole for me. I thought it was a 3 1/2" x 20' pole! :eek: Turns out it's a 4 1/2" x 20' foot pole. Dug a hole 8' deep too! Guess I should have checked the size of the pole before drilling holes in it for the rebarb. may be a costly mistake, I hope that the Well copmpany ill take back the pole. If not, do they make a mount for a 4 1/2' pole/pipe?? Take one step forward and three back I'm afraid. :(

i was thinking all my mounts take a 4 1/2 inch pole
if your mount is for a 3 1/2 inch pole you can find a small section of smaller pole ( couple of feet long) and sleeve it into the 4 1/2 inch pole and bolt it up or weld whichever is easier.

4 1/2 inch pole saga continued

i was thinking all my mounts take a 4 1/2 inch pole
if your mount is for a 3 1/2 inch pole you can find a small section of smaller pole ( couple of feet long) and sleeve it into the 4 1/2 inch pole and bolt it up or weld whichever is easier.

Well at this point I think I'm going to see what other types of sizes they have at the Well Drilling company. I was taking a friend home who was helping me with the pole and found another satellite dish that looked a lot like my Unimesh 10' dish. Only thing it did look a wee bit smaller then 10'. It had printed on the feedhorn U.S.A. It had what appeared to be a small section of pipe inside a larger pipe that was bolted on together. Just like you had mentioned. Only thing is there was a slight wind and the dish was not steady, moving back and forth.

So I could see if (1) I could get a smaller pipe, (2) or a small section to put in the pole I have. (3) Or to look for a 4 1/2 mounting bracket, if they make them that big? I looked at SkyVision had they were all 3 1/2 in size.

By the way the lady at the house told me I could have the satellite dish if I wanted it. Is it better to have a dish for C-Band and another for KU-Band? Or just stick to one dish with both feedhorns with C/KU-Bands?
Thanks,
Tom :)

4 1/2 inch pole saga continued, part II

IMHO ---- If you have room, the more dishes the better. Some one always wants to watch something I am not watching, even if it is my dog! I have 20 acres so I plan on several dishes. I have 2 of the 3 that I have now, on line!

OK, thanks for the info. When I go to the well company I will ask for two poles. I live on a acre of land and the back yard is big. Which also means I presume is that I will have to have separate receivers for each dish? Is there a instructional DVD for installing a Satellite Dish for Dummies?
Thanks again,
Tom

I always figure the more dishes, the merrier. As for the number of receivers, just let your imagination run wild. Using 22 khz switches, DiSEqC control, IF loop out and seperate ku and c band cables, you could have several receivers on one dish or several dishes feeding one receiver. As long as you have fun.

OK, thanks for the info. When I go to the well company I will ask for two poles. I live on a acre of land and the back yard is big. Which also means I presume is that I will have to have separate receivers for each dish? Is there a instructional DVD for installing a Satellite Dish for Dummies?
Thanks again,
Tom

You can use switches to connect a multitude of dishes to one receiver, either at the antenna (dish) farm or near the receiver. I was able to pick up 1000 feet of RG6 so I will run one co-ax from each lnb to the shed and then either rerun from there to the particular building or put switches (or a patch panel) there and run to each building. I plan on burying a 4" conduit from the farm to the shed to give me plenty of room for cables.

BTW, a pole that is too big will be sturdier than one that is too small. You can always shim down a larger pipe with pipe sleaves.

HTH,
POP

Hermitman Dish

I always figure the more dishes, the merrier. As for the number of receivers, just let your imagination run wild. Using 22 khz switches, DiSEqC control, IF loop out and seperate ku and c band cables, you could have several receivers on one dish or several dishes feeding one receiver. As long as you have fun.
Well Hermitman there's a good possibility I may get 3 dishes. One being what I said earlier as looking a lot like my Unimesh dish, only smaller, and the name brand of "U.S.A." on the feedhorn. The other one is like one that you have. I put a label on the image to point it out to you. It's not a perfect circle but a different and interesting style. Who makes it? and is this a good dish to get?:D

Attachments

• hermitman1.jpg
    hermitman1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 189
We have two active C/Ku systems here. One also has 4DTV. The other is straight FTA with a Fortec Ultra and a V-box 4 positioner. I am using diseqc 1.2 to position the big dish. It's a shame that only positions available for 1.2 is 27-49. I am assuming the others are reserved for usals which is useless to me with this setup.

It is nice to be able to watch seperate programs in different rooms.

You can never have too many dishes.

Well Hermitman there's a good possibility I may get 3 dishes. One being what I said earlier as looking a lot like my Unimesh dish, only smaller, and the name brand of "U.S.A." on the feedhorn. The other one is like one that you have. I put a label on the image to point it out to you. It's not a perfect circle but a different and interesting style. Who makes it? and is this a good dish to get?:D

that is a paraclipse. i have one just like it. it's 12ft

Thomas-Paraclipse, good find! If it's undamaged-grab it. If Birdview was the Cadillac of big dishes, Paraclipse must've surely been the Lincoln.

Paraclipse Dish

Thomas-Paraclipse, good find! If it's undamaged-grab it. If Birdview was the Cadillac of big dishes, Paraclipse must've surely been the Lincoln.

Hello Turosat and Chefwan,
Thanks I was wondering who was the maker of that dish. It sure gets your attention when looking at them. So now I know it's a Paraclipse. Like I said earlier when I first found this dish, I asked the guy if he was happy with it or if he wanted it removed. He said how much was I willing to buy it for. I told him about $100.00, considering that you most likely wouldn't make as much by selling it to a scrap yard. We talked and then he said he would think about getting rid of it. When back almost a week and a half later and asked him if he decided. He says he still thinking over. I don't think he is any hurry to get rid of it.
I guess time will tell.

Anyway I do have some other dishes that I have seen in my hunting of satellite dish'es coming my way. When I get them I will send images back this way.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, usually people like that do not want to let them go if they do they want to much for them. paraclipse made the dish.it was called the paraclipse also lol.. i have a bunch of info somewhere about it. in my house. i will try to find it sometime this week and post it up for you. they are huge and heavy as hell. the mount is really heavy duty. mine was still up untill i took it for now. but left the mount. um. i would offer him no more than 50 dollars-75 for it. thats if its in great shape. but it not i'd offer him 40 and tell him u'll take it up. also see if he has the receivers if he wants more for it then tell him u just want the dish LOL but they have nice position box's that come with them. good luck man :up

Hello Turosat and Chefwan,
Thanks I was wondering who the maker of that dish. It sure gets your attention when looking at them. So now I know it's a Paraclipse. Like I said earlier when I first found this dish, I asked the guy if he wad happy with it or if he wanted it removed. He said how much was I willing buy for. We talked and then he said he would think of getting rid of it. When back almost a wek and a half later and asked him if he decided. He says he still thinking over. Does not seem to be in a hurry to get rid of it.
I guess time will tell.

Anyway I do have some oher the dishes that I have seen in my hunting of satellite dish'es coming my way. When I get them I will send images back this way.

Tom

Had a paraclipse that was given to me, took it down and re-installed by myself using pickup (to pull), 2- 60 foot ropes strung thru nearby trees. Neighbors were standing by ready to call911 in event of disaster. All went well. Had an outs with the neighbors couple years later and sold out and left the state. Unfortunately, the welded alum paraclipse was left behind as too bulky to deal with. They are top drawer reflectors.
Tom

TO RV1POP
Concerning buried cable lines
It has been my experience, necessary to enclose buried cable in some sort of pvc or dvw type protection. The ground critters seem to get their jollies nibbling on the shielding, therefore degrading signal.
Tom

Tom, usually people like that do not want to let them go if they do they want to much for them. paraclipse made the dish. It was called the paraclipse also lol.. i have a bunch of info somewhere about it. in my house. I will try to find it sometime this week and post it up for you. they are huge and heavy as hell. the mount is really heavy duty. mine was still up until I took it for now. But left the mount. um. I would offer him no more than 50 dollars-75 for it. That’s if it’s in great shape. But it not I’d offer him 40 and tell him u'll take it up. also see if he has the receivers if he wants more for it then tell him u just want the dish LOL but they have nice position box's that come with them. Good luck man. ”

When I wrote my post/message last night I was half asleep! Woke up several times in mid sentence, trying to finish typing what was in my mind to say! LOL

He said how much was I willing to buy it for. I told him about $100.00, considering that he wouldn't make as much by selling it to a scrap yard. I will have to see.

I had tried to write my thoughts about finding some other dishes that I have seen in my hunting of satellite dish’s coming my way. The Dish that I have now, the Unimesh Dish that needs a 3 ½” mounting pole. I got a pole for it and it was a 4 ½” mounting pole. I thought I just blew my money away after having to order a new and smaller size pole to fit the Unimesh Dish. I’m told it’s coming, soon I hope! Anyway I have the 4 ½” pole and now I see this other dish, just down the street from me and it takes a larger pole. The same size as what I have. It’s not a “paraclipse”, but is heavy duty. It may be a 12’ dish. Will have to measure it or ask the guy this weekend who is considering selling it to me. He too asked me how much I was willing to pay for it. I told him $100.00 dollars. I told him that brand new they go for around $700.00 dollars. And that if he was to scrap it he wouldn’t get that much for it. What do you guys think, am I right about the money that I stated? Also considering going higher too since he told me he still has all the receivers for it. Would love to get it.

scopx: “Had a paraclipse that was given to me, took it down and re-installed by myself using pickup (to pull), 2- 60 foot ropes strung thru nearby trees. Neighbors were standing by ready to call911 in event of disaster. All went well. Had an outs with the neighbors couple years later and sold out and left the state. Unfortunately, the welded alum paraclipse was left behind as too bulky to deal with. They are top drawer reflectors.
Tom “

Sure hope that I can put mine up without any problems!!! Too bad you had the problems with your neighbors. L
scopx: “TO RV1POP, Concerning buried cable lines.
It has been my experience, necessary to enclose buried cable in some sort of pvc or dvw type protection. The ground critters seem to get their jollies nibbling on the shielding, therefore degrading signal.

Tom”

Yes I do plan on burying my cable lines in 1” or larger pvc pipe and bury it deeper then the sprinklers lines I have under ground. I live in Florida, We don’t usally get cold weather except for TODAY!!! Burrrrrrrrrrr! A cold front moved in. We have gopher turtles down here that like to tear into wiring.

The wiring, will be part of many questions that I will post here when I get to that stage of development I’m sure.
Thanks everybody.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, Yes I know about the underground criters. I have had teeth marks on trailer tires!

I have over 200 feet of 1" PVC ENT and 80 or so feet of 4" ENT, plus J-boxes and some other smaller sizes.

The badgers like to chew on the mesh dishes if they are too close to the ground, also! I do not know why!

Even E* installers use PVC (ENT) (with blue hot solvent) around here.

Smaller dish

Oh I had forgotten to say that I also came by that smaller dish too. The lady said I could have it. It does look smaller then 10", maybe 8 1/2" ??? Looks just like the Unimesh. On the feedhorn it has "USA", not sure if that was the dish brand name or the feedhorn band name? Anybody familar with that name?

Tom :)

Size of Pipe?

:)
Thanks, Tom, Yes I know about the underground criters. I have had teeth marks on trailer tires!

I have over 200 feet of 1" PVC ENT and 80 or so feet of 4" ENT, plus J-boxes and some other smaller sizes.

The badgers like to chew on the mesh dishes if they are too close to the ground, also! I do not know why!

Even E* installers use PVC (ENT) (with blue hot solvent) around here.
Do you think that I should use and bury a 4" conduit for the system? I live in Florida, North Central Florida. No badgers here. You must live in South Dakota or northern states, yes? I also plan on putting my dish high enough so I can mow around it.

Tom

4" is way overkill, but I have left over from a phone cable run 20 years ago, 2 or 3 1000 pair cables. Taking up storage space this long says to put them to use... 1" to 1 1/2 inch would be good for most anyone except for me. I have 15 acres to put up dishes and antennas. My wife want 5 acres for the house and garden, so that leaves me with only 15 acres.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts