Suppose I wanted to go back to Dish...

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi Guys,

It's been a couple of years now since I subbed to Dish. I switched to cable because it was easier at the time (lotsa trees and snow) plus HD with no out of pocket fees.

However, I'm beginning to wonder about switching back to Dish, esp. with all the HD programming but I'm *really* confused about all the packages and the extra fees (seems like there are 4 different $5-7 fees tacked on).

How much would I be looking at spending out of pocket and per month if I went back? I currently have an owned Dish 500 (legacy, I think) and a 301 receiver. Obviously, I'd like to have HD and I'd be interested in HD AT silver or above.

What do you think? How do the new leases work? Do they maintain the boxes or do I have to? I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this!

Thanks in advance!

You would definitely want to try and establish "new customer" status in order to get the best deals. This may be tricky, however. An experienced retailer may be able to give you advice on how to go about doing this.

If you are able to become a new customer again (!), then you can lease the new 622 HD-DVR for no net cost after rebate ($200-$200). For existing customers, it's ($200-$100rebate). For all 622 leases, you are required to sub to a metal Programming Package (Bronze or higher).

Yes, Dish has instituted several BS fees. You will incur the DVR fee ($6) and the lease fee ($6). If cable ever gets competitive with quality digital service and/or FIOS takes off, then Dish is going to be hurting with these. In some areas, they already are.

The lease terms include a 1yr warranty on the IRD and a 30 day warranty on antenna/switch installation as required for your home. Installation is provided for free.

Thanks so much for the info!

I didn't realize I'd only be looking at a net $99 for the lease fee on the new 622. I thought it would be like $299. So that's better than expected. But do I have to "surrender" my owned 301 receiver? Will my current dish 500 legacy have to be upgraded as well or does that come with the lease?

Do I have to pay the $6 DVR fee whether or not I want to use that feature just for having it on the receiver? Also, is there a contract commitment to upgrade?

Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

noremac said:
You would definitely want to try and establish "new customer" status in order to get the best deals. This may be tricky, however. An experienced retailer may be able to give you advice on how to go about doing this.

If you are able to become a new customer again (!), then you can lease the new 622 HD-DVR for no net cost after rebate ($200-$200). For existing customers, it's ($200-$100rebate). For all 622 leases, you are required to sub to a metal Programming Package (Bronze or higher).

Yes, Dish has instituted several BS fees. You will incur the DVR fee ($6) and the lease fee ($6). If cable ever gets competitive with quality digital service and/or FIOS takes off, then Dish is going to be hurting with these. In some areas, they already are.

The lease terms include a 1yr warranty on the IRD and a 30 day warranty on antenna/switch installation as required for your home. Installation is provided for free.

I am an existing customer and I will be getting the $100 rebate to turn in my 942 as I already paid to upgrade that last year and then I get the 10 months of $10 credits also after I send in the rebate. I thought the new customers had to pay the $200 up front with no rebates?

varaonaid said:
...do I have to "surrender" my owned 301 receiver?
No, not if you own it. Dish may even offer you some token amount ($25) to buy it back.

Will my current dish 500 legacy have to be upgraded as well or does that come with the lease?
Yes and yes.

Do I have to pay the $6 DVR fee whether or not I want to use that feature just for having it on the receiver?
I believe so. I'm not aware of a disable-DVR capability. But why would you not want DVR?! The DVR feature is a quantum leap in television viewing!

Also, is there a contract commitment to upgrade?
If you lease, the answer is yes. 18 months.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for the info. That really helped to have a sort of step-by-step answer. I really appreciate it.

All the best!
Rachel

varaonaid said:
I didn't realize I'd only be looking at a net $99 for the lease fee on the new 622. I thought it would be like $299. So that's better than expected.
More like about net zero $ instead. 622 lease=$199 upfront, but returning after gone for more than 6 months=$20x10months credit for HD Bronze or higher.

Ooooohhhh, I like a net of zero! I didn't realize that they had a $20 off per month for 10 months promo for returning customers. I think you guys just might talk me into switching back. Are there more plans to continue adding national (as opposed to local)HD channels in the (relatively) near future?

This is getting more and more tempting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)