surge protection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freebird77

Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Having bought two new flat screen tvs, one a 46 inch, should I have something better ten my $12.00 power strip from Lowes, and if so what are the difference between that and a more expensive brand? Thank you.

I had a $12 strip that my dell laptop was plugged into and it was fried after a recent thunderstorm. I don't know what size or brand to recommend but I would buy an expensive one. It won't cost as much as replacing your tv's. Maybe contact Best Buy or Radio Shack and see what they recommend.

When it comes to surge protectors get one with the high amount of Joules you can afford. The Joules are what count. Also it doesn't hurt purchasing one with insurance. A lot of different brands say right on the box "Covers $25,000 in equipment". I wouldn't personally touch a surge proector under 1000 joules.

As for brand, that is up to you. Mine has a power light on it and a protected light so I know things are good. Once you have a power spike through the surge protector throw it away and get a new one. They aren't good for more then one lightening strike.

Having bought two new flat screen tvs, one a 46 inch, should I have something better ten my $12.00 power strip from Lowes, and if so what are the difference between that and a more expensive brand? Thank you.
I you are going to invest in a new surge protector, you might want to consider investing in a good UPS/Surge protector from a company like APC. In addition to the surge protection, you can plug you D* equipment in the battery backup outlets. Then if you have power fluctuations or brief outages, it won't cause problem with the D* hardware. Especially if you have the HD DVR's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)