surge protectors

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Looking through my Grainger catalog, I cant seem to find a surge or a ups that has protection for two sat inputs and a phone in put for my 522.
What I did find is the following item:
Leiton 5350-pc application coax, connector type f, operating line voltage 10 vdc, cable type coaxial or
Leiton 5350-sat application coax, connector type dss f, rating line voltage 10 vdc, cable type coaxial
That will take care of the sat inputs. Im sure ill find a combo telephone 110v surge.
Any better ideas.
Lenny

there's LOTS of 2-cable plus phone surge protectors out there. Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Max, Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

The only hard part is finding one that actually says it's rated to 2200MHz (DishPro) on both cable ports.

I'm using a CyberPower with my 2-feed Legacy setup A-OK. It also has phone and Ethernet protection along with it's 8 power taps.

Do you know of a small ups with the same specs that you mentioned? Or
are any of these good enough? If so witch one would you recommend?
Thank you very much
Lenny
Leviton
Catalog Number: 5350-SAT UPC# 07847785369
2-Wire Coax Low-Voltage and Data Line SPD, Nema 5-15 Plug-In for Grnd, Non-Stackable
Product Features:
Type: Nema 5-15 Plug-In for Grnd
Housing Material: Plastic
Interconnectivity: Non-Stackable
Duty: Data-Sensative
Connector: F Connector
Application: DSS System
Connection Type: 2-Wire Coax
No. of Wires/Pins Protected: 2/ Center and Shield
Line Voltage (VDC): 25
Clamping Voltage (VDC): 35
Standards and Certifications: UL452 / CSA / ANSI/IEEE
Warranty: Lifetime Limited Downline

OR

Leviton
Catalog Number: 5350-pc UPC# 07847785369
2-Wire Coax Low-Voltage and Data Line SPD, Nema 5-15 Plug-In for Grnd, Non-Stackable
Product Features:
Type: Nema 5-15 Plug-In for Grnd
Housing Material: Plastic
Interconnectivity: Non-Stackable
Duty: Data-Sensative
Connector: F Connector
Application: CATV
Connection Type: 2-Wire Coax
No. of Wires/Pins Protected: 2/ Center and Shield
Line Voltage (VDC): 10
Clamping Voltage (VDC): 25
Standards and Certifications: UL452 / CSA / ANSI/IEEE
Warranty: Lifetime Limited Downline

blockisle9 said:
Thank You very much!!!
Your very helpful.
Lenny
PS- Is a ups necessary?
You're quite welcome. :)

"Necessary" is a relative term. It IS for me - I get lots of power blinks due to lightning. If my power company was not great, it would be lots of actual outages. I also do NOT like to miss ANY of my recordings.

I use an RCA model PS83202C2 surge protector with my 522 DishPro system; it runs under $20 at Wal-Mart. It doesn't specifically say DishPro or 2150+ MHz, but it hasn't given me any problems, and the RG6 cable that came with it is marked 2300 MHz. I do use both of its satellite inputs. It also has a phone input with splitter, though my phone line is already filtered (twice, in fact!) through my PC's DSL-rated Belkin surge protector, so I only use this splitter as a handy coupler. It's rated for 2100 joules, so it's similar to SimpleSimon's, but without the RJ45 jacks (and with a lesser equipment guarantee--only $100,000, and then only for one year).

For a picture and other stats, go to:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700875,00.html?
Its instruction manual is shared with other models and doesn't show anything else; to find it, enter the model number in the search box at the RCA website.

Of course, this doesn't help you looking for an UPS; but you could use the UPS for power, and this for the satellite inputs. Besides, for me the bigger problem is phone-line surges; I've seen two dial-up modems fried in my first year online (not counting that PC's built-in modem which was fried under its first owner), plus a phone line outside the surge protector on my first DSL setup that got cooked JUST to the point that it slowed down my DSL modem--though dial-tone worked fine. (Believe it or not, that's not why my 522 is triple-protected; the additional splitters were just in the right places to use them.)

OK, well here is what I ended up with (I know it ain't perfect but I guess it is better than nothing)
UPS
APC Surge/UPS
1800 Joules
325VA/185W
Plugged in to the above is a
Surge Protector
RCA SCTV 40000
2090 Joules
It has two sets of coaxial connections and a phone connection.
I know the Joules is less than what you recommended but I was hoping that since the UPS is good for 1800 and the surge protector is 2090, I should be OK.
Thanks

acually no, I have the ups pluged into the wall then the surge into that. I didnt think it would matter becouse at the end (were the 522 is pluged in) it ends up being ups and surge protected through both devices.
I also have my 32 inch TV pluged into the set up, I thought the UPS might be to small for it but it seems to be working ok.
The picture seems a little less sharp (Just a bit) I guess its becouse both the sat inputs are going through the UPS.

No - the idea is for the less-expensive surge strip to give some protection to the UPS box itself. :)

You won't know if the UPS is big enough until you actually "use" it. A 32" CRT is gonna suck that baby dry pretty fast, but if you're just after "blink" protection, then no big deal.

In my case, I want the 921 to keep on recording so I don't miss anything. I think it'll go as long as 90 minutes with the big ole box I'm using.

Oh - and as for the difference in PQ - no way it's due to the surge protector. A lower signal strength, maybe. Change in PQ, no.

There I changed it,
Surge protector into wall then ups into the surge protector and then TV and 522 into ups.