Surround Sound Forgotten?

OK, I'm just about sold on the Onkyo 606 and y'all have been sooooo helpful, but please indulge me a bit more on the speakers. You offered this set Polk Audio RM6750 as one of your recommendations and the picture looks real nice to me but please share your experience as to why these are better speakers or if they're simply "competitive" speakers, or what...

Thank you, again

OK, I'm just about sold on the Onkyo 606 and y'all have been sooooo helpful, but please indulge me a bit more on the speakers. You offered this set Polk Audio RM6750 as one of your recommendations and the picture looks real nice to me but please share your experience as to why these are better speakers or if they're simply "competitive" speakers, or what...

Thank you, again

Sure, we have lots of suggestions, but we are trying to respect you ~500 budget. These Polks are "ok" and not budget breakers. They also take upgrades nicely. For example, you can add larger Polk fronts and use the existing ones to make a 7.1 system (although I am unconvinced of the value there. Very few titles have a 7.1 track). People also say that the weak point is the subwoofer, and that can be upgraded without issue as well.

Another possibility that deserves consideration is the Boston Acoustics Horizon 5.1 system [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-MCS100MDNT-5-1-Channel-System/dp/B000W9DO7U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232058220&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS100MDNT 5.1-Channel Speaker System (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Personally, I have a preference to Klipsch, and their synergy quintet series is very well regarded. I believe in their tweeter horns as a way of delivering tight upper frequencies. Their build quality is also first rate. However at $525 without the subwoofer, it breaks the budget.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Quintet-Theater-Speaker/dp/B00009L1UX/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232058775&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Home Theater Speaker System (Set of Five, Black): Electronics[/ame]
If you could justify the price, you would also need to add a sub. There is another thread in this forum where Elwaylite discusses his Klipsch 12" woofer.

We could probably talk for pages on subwoofers, but we already did that elsewhere. You should go review that thread and then come back with questions.

ecost.com sent me a flyer this morning with several of the Denon and Onkyo refurb systems on sale. You need to understand the limitations and risks associated with refurbs, but these things can be a great deal.

This is a deal:
Receivers - Denon 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver w/ Audyssey MultEQ Calibration ( AVR2308CI ) (Denon) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players
Only real shortcoming is 2 HDMI inputs, but it does do HDMI upconversion of analog video. That means you only need to run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. (This is also the case for the Onkyo 605/606)

This would be an audio only system, with HDMI video switching done at the TV:
HTIB - Onkyo 5.1 Channel Home Theater System - Silver ( HTS4100S ) (Onkyo) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players
Pretty serious limitations, but a lot for the price. This could be a throwaway system just to test the waters.

That Denon looks great except for it does not decode TrueHD and DTS-HD.:( Depending upon which Sony BD player he bought assuming the 350, it does not on board decode DTS-HD Master Audio. No issue if the OP has the 550:)
For me it would be Killer at that price

That Denon looks great except for it does not decode TrueHD and DTS-HD.:( Depending upon which Sony BD player he bought assuming the 350, it does not on board decode DTS-HD Master Audio. No issue if the OP has the 550:)
For me it would be Killer at that price

I think the advanced codecs become a want for someone moving up from TV sound, which is why I went there. However, the Onkyo 606 is still less expensive and does have more HDMI inputs as well as handling these codecs.

I really like the Denon build quality and clean sound. However, I am currently using an Onkyo 605 because i simply couldn't pass up the bang for the buck there. Can't say I am disappointed with the sound, and the TrueHD tracks do sound nice.

I bet Brokenarrow bought the 350. Only us geeks know where the 550 is appropriate, and I know BB doesn't push the 550.

Found the idf between the 1908
The jump from the AVR-1908 to the AVR-2308CI is big in terms of features. The AVR-2308CI offers HDMI upconversion, which means it can take analog video signals and output them via the HDMI output. It's capable of upconverting to 1080p using Faroudja scaling, and hopefully you'll be able to select your desired output resolution. There's also "dual-zone, dual-source" support, which means you can send audio to a separate zone into your house, and you can run a different source in your main zone and your secondary zone. This is Denon's cheapest receiver that provides HDMI switching and upconversion, but it's going to face some fierce competition from Onkyo's excellent TX-SR605, which offers similar features for only $500 list price, and even less online.
Seems to me if you have a BD with on board decoding- lIke my Pannasonic 55k the2308 is a steal

Life suddenly interrupted my important online existance and kept my attention for a couple of days.

Ah yes, the budget...

Thank you very much for your true consideration of my specific situation. Yes, I did get the 350 BD player. Correct, I didn't know better. Even so, it ain't horrible yet. So far, you guys have guided me from the mire very nicely. That said, what I'm gonna do is get the Onkyo 606 with the Polk 5.1 speaker set. I'll listen to that for a while and see what, if any, upgrades would work good from there. I will be aware of your note of "people" saying that the sub woofer is weak. My situation is one with a small room so it might have range I don't even want to use, instead of lacking.

I cannot express how grateful I am for the help I've received here. I never realized this mess was such a mess. I guess the mfrs try to please a great number of people with all kinds of budgets, but what a mess. Being a bit of a forum fan, I'll also comment that it seems y'all have a good one here. I'll be back. Perhaps I won't be looking for education when I return but just visiting. But if I do need educating, I know where I can get some straight talk.

Thanks All,

Will

Will
make sure you keep us updated and ask before buying

Yeah, what Kevin said. Good luck on your purchases, and I hope they give you what you want for now.

None of us are ever satisfied for long with our stuff, but we are closet cases. I think the average guy can be happy for years with a little careful shopping.

Again, good luck.

Ok, I know... I got off topic for a sec with the wide eyes over the cheap hdmi cables, but you have to understand, apparently the TV guys seen idiot on my face when I walked in and managed to sell me a hdmi cable( a good one, mind you), for $50.00. The thing ain't made of pure gold though. They got me with that.

You should go back and chock the life out of that sales dope. :D

Don't mind if I step into this thread, but if I purchase a 7.1 receiver like the one you posted, can i still just do the basic 5.1 speaker set-up even though the receiver is compatible to 7?

Don't mind if I step into this thread, but if I purchase a 7.1 receiver like the one you posted, can i still just do the basic 5.1 speaker set-up even though the receiver is compatible to 7?

You sure can. Many receivers are 5.1 but a lot oe people only run 5.1. First there is very little 7.1 source material and many of us don't have the ability to put in another set of speakers behinf our seating areas.

You sure can. Many receivers are 5.1 but a lot oe people only run 5.1. First there is very little 7.1 source material and many of us don't have the ability to put in another set of speakers behinf our seating areas.

Also, many of the 7.1 receivers have the ability to put a second stereo zone using those last two amplifiers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)