Surround Sound Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I have a 211 hooked via HDMI to a Sony AVR. I have an antenna hooked to the 211 for my local channels.

When I'm watching ESPN (or most satellite delivered networks), the AVR indicates it's seeing 5.1 sound. However, I *RARELY* hear anything from my rear surrounds. But, when I tune into the locals using the 211, I *DO* get sound from the rear speakers.

Today's a prime example. I watch the Outback Bowl on ESPN2... no sound from the rear speakers. After that game's over, I go to the Citrus Bowl on my local ABC, and wow! Surround Sound!

Presumably the issue is NOT:
1) The speakers (because they work on locals)
2) The AVR (because it works on locals and there's no source change)
3) The 211 (because it sends the 5.1 on locals and the AVR indicates it's getting a signal on all the channels).

I have a hard time believing an ESPN game is NOT 5.1, so is Dish doing something with the audio to help compress the signal?

Any other ideas?

I won't say I never hear anything from my surround speakers, but it's always pretty muted compared to any other source. (Unfortunately, I have no OTA reception so I can't do a direct comparison.)

There was another thread about this in the past few months, but I can't remember if anything was resolved. I think it just quietly faded away.

Same here, rare to hear anything but muted with Satellite, but yet I know it works. Satellite local CBS during games you can hear the crowd noise on the rear speakers. I temporarily have my OTA antenna down and can't remember if it is different on those. (All on 612 receivers)

Comments about rear surrounds *usually being muted or lower volume on SAT (Dish and DTV) and Comcast cable ) and OTA mirrors my experience . I belive the OTA DTV and re transmission (Cable/Sat ) surround sound are the same although on *some movies it's not always so muted .

I have a 211 hooked via HDMI to a Sony AVR. I have an antenna hooked to the 211 for my local channels.

When I'm watching ESPN (or most satellite delivered networks), the AVR indicates it's seeing 5.1 sound. However, I *RARELY* hear anything from my rear surrounds. But, when I tune into the locals using the 211, I *DO* get sound from the rear speakers.

Today's a prime example. I watch the Outback Bowl on ESPN2... no sound from the rear speakers. After that game's over, I go to the Citrus Bowl on my local ABC, and wow! Surround Sound!

Presumably the issue is NOT:
1) The speakers (because they work on locals)
2) The AVR (because it works on locals and there's no source change)
3) The 211 (because it sends the 5.1 on locals and the AVR indicates it's getting a signal on all the channels).

I have a hard time believing an ESPN game is NOT 5.1, so is Dish doing something with the audio to help compress the signal?

Any other ideas?
This is all in the surround mix for the program. Espn in general has poor surround mixes for sporting events with little use of the surround speakers.

This is all in the surround mix for the program. Espn in general has poor surround mixes for sporting events with little use of the surround speakers.
Don't forget though ABC games are produced by ESPN. I have a hard time believing (although it is possible) ONLY games airing on ESPN have low surround mixes.

Don't forget though ABC games are produced by ESPN. I have a hard time believing (although it is possible) ONLY games airing on ESPN have low surround mixes.
Well, it's not an all inclusive statement, rather more a general statement. ESPN in general does not use the surrounds much. Watch sports on CBS, NBC, FOX, etc and you will notice a much more involved surround mix in general. Now any specific game or event is different and may break from this generality.

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)