Survey: Any HD channels that you don't watch?

Which of these channels do you rarely or never watch?

• ESPN2HD

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • HGTV

Votes: 37 14.7%
  • NFLHD

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • VOOM - GAMEPLAY

Votes: 175 69.7%
  • VOOM - ANIMANIA

Votes: 185 73.7%
  • VOOM - HDNews

Votes: 78 31.1%
  • VOOM - GALLERY

Votes: 167 66.5%
  • VOOM - RUSH

Votes: 103 41.0%
  • VOOM - ULTRA

Votes: 146 58.2%
  • VOOM - WORLDSPORT

Votes: 110 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Just wondering about the interest level in some of the HD channels E* is offering. This is not meant to be a critique of those channels, just a poll of people who frequent the SatGuys Dish HD form.

The survey tool only allows 10 options, so I picked a lot of VOOM channels and added in a few others.

You may vote for as many as you wish.

Would watch more if...

I also seldom watch most of the VOOM channels listed...however, I would probably watch some of them more if they had consistant new programming.

I checked everything except ESPN2HD. I'm ok with HGTV, but to me Voom is just a waste of bandwidth. I would prefer to watch current non-HD programming over 3 month old E3 coverage or a European basketball game from 2005.

I've really been impressed with Gallery. They have some good shows that go way indepth about famous paintings. So that's great. I can see though in about a month or so I won't have a use for it as I will have watched pretty much everything they have.

Ultra seems to be really a niche area, showing all things fashion, that I don't really care about.

I'm not big into music so Rave is a bit of a waste. Rush can be fun, but gets boring after a bit. Maybe come winter it will change. Same with World Sport, it can be nice during their CFL games, but they repeat the same game ad nauseum.

I don't have much of a need for cartoons so Animania is a waste, but I check it out sometimes for the classic cartoons they have.

HDNews repeats every 12 minutes. So if you catch a bit on there, you're good for the rest of the day. They don't cover all the major stories either, just ones that they can get an HD camera view from.

I haven't watched HGTV HD recently. My mom seemed to like it when she visited a few weeks ago.

ESPN2 HD... if you watch ESPN2 you'll watch this one just as much. So an easy comparison there.

Just my $.02.

I cannot answer, there is no check box for Voom - Kung Fu! This has to be the one HD channel I have never even tuned to.

I don't watch many of the Voom channels but every now and then I do. Like DRP said if the programming was more up to date or wasn't replaying every three days I'ld watch more of it. HDNews is an awesome idea and I'ld watch it more often if they had more than a 7 minute loop.

I watch the std HD channels (TNT, DSC, HD NET, HDMV), ESPN2 (NHRA drag racing), every now and then I'll watch ULTRA (reservations required), HGTV (if walls could talk) and RUSH (BMX PIG). I should metion I'm one of the guys that wants more quantity of HD and will live with a quality hit. :hungry:

zman said:
I cannot answer, there is no check box for Voom - Kung Fu! This has to be the one HD channel I have never even tuned to.
I thought I'd never tune to this station either. But really some of the movies they show on there are great and some are some unintentionally funny movies. I enjoyed both Kurisawa's Seven Samurai and Shoalin Soccer (From the guy that made Kung Fu Hussle) as well as some Jackie Chan poorly dubbed movies. You should check one out. The station is just as good as a Kung Fu movie station could be.

I included some of the channels that I watch. I like GALLERY and I watch a couple of the other ones too.

I've tried watching KUNG FU some, but have never enjoyed that genre much and watching these movies confirms my earlier opinion. I almost included it, but didn't in the end.

I love Monsters hd channel when they show something new for a change. I don't really watch the rest of the Voom channels except the movie one like World cinema, Family hd channel and the Rave channel. I don't watch any of the sports channels because I could care less about those. Hd net and Hdnet movies are okay but I seldom watch them. Universal hd is a waste. I want this channel to carry more Sci - Fi and maybe become Sci - Fi hd channel , I would love that. Tnt hd is not watched that often since it is almost always reruns. I watch the hd locals much more than I do the national hd channels.

I voted HGTV, Ultra and Gallery. Although I'm not a frequent watcher, I do appreciate their being available for the viewership. You really need to add UniversalHD to the mix...probably the worst of the worst. To be honest, other than watching 8 Live NHL HD games, this too is a waste of bandwidth: worthless handful of scrimmage games and SD stuff you can watch on the NFL channel.

riffjim4069 said:
To be honest, other than watching 8 Live NHL HD games, this too is a waste of bandwidth: worthless handful of scrimmage games and SD stuff you can watch on the NFL channel.
I assume you mean NFL HD games on that first sentence.....

Hold off on bashing this station just yet. The season is just starting and as it gets underway I anticipate it will be pretty good. They'll be rebroadcasting some of the games on Tuesday and Wednesday condensed down to 90 minutes and in HD. As some one who can't watch all the games, but really wouldn't mind to, this will be great. I'm enjoying checking out some of the preseason games, even if only 1/2 of them are in HD. They're a niche station, and they don't pretend to be anything more than that.

I'm agreeing with your view on UniversalHD. I keep wanting to watch something on there, but it is either reruns from shows that were on and cancelled on NBC from 2 years ago. Or shows on Sci-Fi that are about a year behind where they should be. I think NBC is good in creating this station, but they should decide what they really want to do with it. Maybe as more people go to HD Universal HD will evolve.

riffjim4069 said:
To be honest, other than watching 8 Live NHL HD games, this too is a waste of bandwidth: worthless handful of scrimmage games and SD stuff you can watch on the NFL channel.
I assume you mean NFL HD games on that first sentence.....

Hold off on bashing this station just yet. The season is just starting and as it gets underway I anticipate it will be pretty good. They'll be rebroadcasting some of the games on Tuesday and Wednesday condensed down to 90 minutes and in HD. As some one who can't watch all the games, but really wouldn't mind to, this will be great. I'm enjoying checking out some of the preseason games, even if only 1/2 of them are in HD. They're a niche station, and they don't pretend to be anything more than that.

I'm agreeing with your view on UniversalHD. I keep wanting to watch something on there, but it is either reruns from shows that were on and cancelled on NBC from 2 years ago. Or shows on Sci-Fi that are about a year behind where they should be. I think NBC is good in creating this station, but they should decide what they really want to do with it. Maybe as more people go to HD Universal HD will evolve.

We seldomly if ever watch ANY of the VOOM channels. I would rather have TMC-HD and SinaMax-HD. And even this will eventuall will go away as more HD-DVD come out.

One may ask why do I even have the HD pack...The answer is to get Universal-HD to watch one show...BSG and Monday Nite Football on ESPN-HD.

Theres a lot of them I dont watch other than surfing by. But I dont watch a lot of TV in general especially in the summer.

But even watching 50% of them from time to time aint bad when you consider that when I came back to E* and got a 622 and HD Bronze back around March 1, I made a fav list that only has 2 SD channels (CNN, TWC). Thats the only list I use.

So whats the percentage of SD channels I dont watch.. like 97? ;)

DP1 said:
Theres a lot of them I dont watch other than surfing by. But I dont watch a lot of TV in general especially in the summer.

But even watching 50% of them from time to time aint bad when you consider that when I came back to E* and got a 622 and HD Bronze back around March 1, I made a fav list that only has 2 SD channels (CNN, TWC). Thats the only list I use.

So whats the percentage of SD channels I dont watch.. like 97? ;)

Actually this would be a very good poll for another thread as well. How many SD channedl do you regularly watch?

I watch 3 (scifi for SG serial) (USA for 4400) (FX for the Shield) its sad. IF I could buy my content directly in a timely fashion i.e. dont have to wait a year for the DVD then I wouldnt watch any channels at all.

I have 2 litle girls and I voted tha tI don't watch it. In all I think we've watch 10 minutes of the pink panther, and get this, it's one my oldest daughter had seen om Boom earlier that week!! She knew what was happening before it happened!! Maybe she's physic?!

BlackHitachi said:
I wonder how many people that voted they don't watch ANIMANIA have kids? Also i wonder if there kids do? Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)