Swanni says Direct WILL have 100 HD channels by years end.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I saw a commercial today bashing cable that said DirecTV will soon have 150 HD channels. So how do they get THAT number???

I sure wish you could post a recording of that exact spot you saw, but I will bet good money it is the same one about the new satellite system and "when complete will have the CAPACITY of up to"

DirecTV "....capacity to offer 150 HD channels*, that's three times more than cable.** "

and if you read it the exact way its written, the vs cable comment sounds like that the DirecTV 150 HD national capacity will be 3x more than cable's capacity.

*Number of channels subject to available HD programming.
**Based on Bank of America Equity Research report May 2006.

DirecTV "....capacity to offer 150 HD channels*, that's three times more than cable.** "

and if you read it the exact way its written, the vs cable comment sounds like that the DirecTV 150 HD national capacity will be 3x more than cable's capacity

That's what I saw again today in a different commercial where the guy says he only has 30 seconds to get the message across. Something to the effect that cable says its keeping up with HD capacity but its not. It also says cable has only 1/3 the HD capacity. It says nothing of future systems, etc... It says plans start at 29.99. Does D* have a 29.99 HD plan??? If not, they are sending lots of mixed messages to the casual listener, D* has 150 HD channels and HD packages start at 29.99, etc...

That's what I saw again today in a different commercial where the guy says he only has 30 seconds to get the message across. Something to the effect that cable says its keeping up with HD capacity but its not. It also says cable has only 1/3 the HD capacity. It says nothing of future systems, etc... It says plans start at 29.99. Does D* have a 29.99 HD plan??? If not, they are sending lots of mixed messages to the casual listener, D* has 150 HD channels and HD packages start at 29.99, etc...

Cable also has ads every hour saying satellite goes out when there are just clouds or fog. :rolleyes: Whatcha gonna do....advertising sucks.

As for 29.99, yes they do have a plan, the "Family Pack" which is that price. I also think that new subs typically get the Choice package for $29.99 as a promotional price the first 6 months or so. So they aren't misleading in that way.

Cable also has ads every hour saying satellite goes out when there are just clouds or fog. :rolleyes: Whatcha gonna do....advertising sucks.

As for 29.99, yes they do have a plan, the "Family Pack" which is that price. I also think that new subs typically get the Choice package for $29.99 as a promotional price the first 6 months or so. So they aren't misleading in that way.

And also Cablevisions' 'Triple Play' which they advertise in BIG LETTERS as $99 for all three services - but they don't mention that it is only for the first year except in the written discliamer, that most don't read or understand.

Point being - ALL companies do the same thing.

Honestly I don't care what any company says regarding how many channels they can add. Yes its nice knowing what their limits are but at some point it doesn't make a difference. Heck I bet Comcast could run an add saying they soon could add 5,000 HD channels. Soon could be in three years and I bet Comcast could offer that many HD channels. Between SDV, going all digital (no analog lineup), upgrade plant to 1Ghz, DOCSIS 3.0, channel bonding, QAM-1024, fiber to the curb/sidewalk and MPEG4 or better compression I bet they could pull it off. At this point in the game its all about what percentage of those 5,000 HD channels will be watched by customers within each hub at the sametime and not how many channels are offered. Heck they could even start using IPTV and use some of that unused internet bandwidth as very little bandwidth overall is used all at once by internet customers.

This above is exactly why all this talk about how many channels any company can add makes no difference at all. I would bet every penny I have in my bank account that cable will always come out ahead of satellite in capacity. They may fall behind for 6 months or so but cable can always move past satellite. Satellite companies will always be catching up in some form or another in the whole scheme of things.

All I care about is what a company has in those little things called contracts and thus far DirecTV is killing everyone else when it comes to the real stat which is contracts for HD channels. So if I owned a cable company like Comcast I would start to get the word out that we will get all the same contracts that DirecTV will get. Lucky for me my contacts at Comcast are thinking just that and even though they don't advertise it yet they are working on contracts for all the channels DirecTV has named and they will have them done and ready for launch when DirecTV launches them. As with anything the bigger Comcast markets will get them first but most all other markets won't be far behind.

Now again the Comcast info is rumor and I'm the first to say that Comcast needs to start saying their plans to the public and giving press releases of those contracts. They can get those contracts done well before many of these channels launch just as DirecTV has done.

Again its not about what you can add its all about what you will be adding and only this will decide which company is the ruler of HDTV. Right now with current public contracts DirecTV is the king today for upcoming HDTV assuming the MPEG4 national HD channels have good quality and thus far I see no reason to doubt this yet.

Either way very good times are coming for us HD customers no matter what company you are or will be subscribing with.

Yes,
D* does have a $ 29.99 package.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart1.jsp?assetId=1000005

I don't think they have HD on it, but I didn't look thru it.
It's called the Family package.

Now here again, D* did not say they had HD for $29, they said they have packages starting at 29.

Jimbo

Jimbo

And also Cablevisions' 'Triple Play' which they advertise in BIG LETTERS as $99 for all three services - but they don't mention that it is only for the first year except in the written discliamer, that most don't read or understand.

Point being - ALL companies do the same thing.

The $ 99 deal is also basic programming I would bet, on the TV and internet as well.

Jimbo

Honestly I don't care what any company says regarding how many channels they can add. Yes its nice knowing what their limits are but at some point it doesn't make a difference. Heck I bet Comcast could run an add saying they soon could add 5,000 HD channels. Soon could be in three years and I bet Comcast could offer that many HD channels. Between SDV, going all digital (no analog lineup), upgrade plant to 1Ghz, DOCSIS 3.0, channel bonding, QAM-1024, fiber to the curb/sidewalk and MPEG4 or better compression I bet they could pull it off...

All I care about is what a company has in those little things called contracts and thus far DirecTV is killing everyone else when it comes to the real stat which is contracts for HD channels. So if I owned a cable company like Comcast I would start to get the word out that we will get all the same contracts that DirecTV will get. Lucky for me my contacts at Comcast are thinking just that and even...

I don't know where you are, but here in Atlanta Comcast came out of Media One. Media One went around and gobbled up small cable companies all over metro Atlanta. That was what, 10 years ago. There are still areas in Metro Atlanta where Comcast can't make their patched up system work right the majority of the time and are notorious for poor service in the field and on the phone. I have a neighbor who says she has had one good month of her bundled service in the past year! Her phone, internet, cable go out all the time and she is paying 200/month bundled. I initially signed up and would have them out about every 2-3 months for crap reception, bad DVRs, etc.. Their big lure is the no contract, no equipment to buy. But I have been with E* for a year and other then a 6 hour install, no problems. I am open to going to whoever gives me the HD channels I want, with an HD DVR and no serious reception problems. I have no brand loyalty, I have quality loyalty.

And does your source say Comcast is getting the NFL Package too???

Hardly ...
The NFL package can not be change until after the current contract is over...
I don't recall for sure, but something makes me think 2011 or there about.

Jimbo

Yep. DirecTV has exclusive thru 2010. So 2011 is the earliest it could be on something else. But you can bet your job that D* will renew that puppy. ST isn't going anywhere.

Yep. DirecTV has exclusive thru 2010. So 2011 is the earliest it could be on something else. But you can bet your job that D* will renew that puppy. ST isn't going anywhere.

Yes , of course D* will resign, probably before then if possible. That said, it may get interesting if the NFL decides it wants more exposure (to other provider) and decides to push the issue , that would be the only way I could see the other providers being able to get in on the NFL package ... If the NFL wanted it.

Jimbo

Yes , of course D* will resign, probably before then if possible. That said, it may get interesting if the NFL decides it wants more exposure (to other provider) and decides to push the issue , that would be the only way I could see the other providers being able to get in on the NFL package ... If the NFL wanted it.

Jimbo

Yep, also Directv is willing to pay more than cable companies for the rights to have it.

Jimbo

Very true. But the NFL wants to keep it exclusive because they make the most money via the networks. If Sunday Ticket were on cable then it would really devalue the network contracts and any extra money the NFL might make on more ST subs would quickly be wiped out by much less money for the network contracts. Fox and CBS essentially said this the last time ST was up for bid about 4-5 years ago. They were very concerned about it moving to cable.

So the NFL does what will make the NFL the most money: Exclusive Sunday Ticket with DirecTV which limits it's reach and protects the premium they charge Fox, CBS and NBC.

NFL might be in for a shake up if DirecTV ever desides to pass on bidding. Charlie would certainly never pay that much for it and if cable is then the last choice that is a place they don't want to be. They might just go full PPV for games at that point.

Very true. But the NFL wants to keep it exclusive because they make the most money via the networks. If Sunday Ticket were on cable then it would really devalue the network contracts and any extra money the NFL might make on more ST subs would quickly be wiped out by much less money for the network contracts. Fox and CBS essentially said this the last time ST was up for bid about 4-5 years ago. They were very concerned about it moving to cable.

So the NFL does what will make the NFL the most money: Exclusive Sunday Ticket with DirecTV which limits it's reach and protects the premium they charge Fox, CBS and NBC.

NFL might be in for a shake up if DirecTV ever desides to pass on bidding. Charlie would certainly never pay that much for it and if cable is then the last choice that is a place they don't want to be. They might just go full PPV for games at that point.

What do you think would happen if D* continued to have it and some Cable co's decided that they wanted it, such as Comcast and other LARGE ones, I know My Cable co won't as they are small in the overall picture of things.

Also, there was talk (rumor) about selling packages for individual teams, don't know if that would be a D* thing or a all providers thing or an NFL thing, of course the NFL would have to approve it all.

Jimbo

What do you think would happen if D* continued to have it and some Cable co's decided that they wanted it, such as Comcast and other LARGE ones, I know My Cable co won't as they are small in the overall picture of things.

Also, there was talk (rumor) about selling packages for individual teams, don't know if that would be a D* thing or a all providers thing or an NFL thing, of course the NFL would have to approve it all.

Jimbo

Just FYI that Comcast and Time Warner already turned down Sunday Ticket. They had the opportunity to bid on it last time around and they released a press release saying that they will pass on it because they thought it was too expensive. And of course ever since then all they do is cry and wine about how they don't have Sunday Ticket and the big bad NFL won't let them have it. BS. They had their chance and they turned it down. Unless something changes they won't step up to the plate next time around either.

I don't care about capacity or capacity to add or contracted or plans to contract, about which D* trumpets so loudly.

I only care about what I can actually watch on the TV at home, and right now, except for sports, D* is behind both FIOS and our locally available cable company.

At some indefinite time in the future, my Dad might be able to beat up your Dad. Good grief.

You either have it or you don't. Twenty-five years ago, I planned to be rich. I added the capacity to do that, and then did a lot of contracts to do that, but it took me twenty years to get there.

I'm thinking I may be dead before D* does half of what they say they might, at some indefinite time in the future, have the capacity to do. Help! Help!

I don't care about capacity or capacity to add or contracted or plans to contract, about which D* trumpets so loudly.

I only care about what I can actually watch on the TV at home, and right now, except for sports, D* is behind both FIOS and our locally available cable company.

At some indefinite time in the future, my Dad might be able to beat up your Dad. Good grief.

You either have it or you don't. Twenty-five years ago, I planned to be rich. I added the capacity to do that, and then did a lot of contracts to do that, but it took me twenty years to get there.

I'm thinking I may be dead before D* does half of what they say they might, at some indefinite time in the future, have the capacity to do. Help! Help!

You mean by the end of 2007, just like they said two years ago? You are like the guy that hyperventilates thinking that he might hyperventilate!

Thats OK Happy,
We will gladly review this post at the end of '07 begining of '08 and see if your wonderful cable and FIOS is still beating everyone.

Seeing FIOS is only is a very minute part of the country,I don't think it should even be counted....
I notice you did not say who your cable company was.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)