Swapping Dish300 for Dish500

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
If I buy just a Dish500 reflector (no mounting brackets, mast, bolts, LNB arm, etc), will I be able to use the LNB arm, bolts and mast from my Dish300 and just swap out the reflector? Or will I need some other stuff. I understand I'll need an I-bracket to mount the DP single LNB. Any other tips I need to know before I climb up on my roof?

I'm swinging my dish300 that's currently pointed at 61.5 over to 129 so I can pick up FSN-SW HD but I want to switch to a Dish500 reflector to better pick up the crappy 129 signal.

Thanks!

If I buy just a Dish500 reflector (no mounting brackets, mast, bolts, LNB arm, etc), will I be able to use the LNB arm, bolts and mast from my Dish300 and just swap out the reflector? Or will I need some other stuff. I understand I'll need an I-bracket to mount the DP single LNB. Any other tips I need to know before I climb up on my roof?

I'm swinging my dish300 that's currently pointed at 61.5 over to 129 so I can pick up FSN-SW HD but I want to switch to a Dish500 reflector to better pick up the crappy 129 signal.

Thanks!
To use the 20" surface of the dish 500 you would need to purchase a complete dish 500 and a "I" adapter. The "I" replaces the "Y" to maintain the focal distance for the larger surface area. You could use the hardware from a 300 on the 500 face but you would only be using the equivalent of 18" of surface area. No advantage over the dish 300 face.:) Why not just invest in a 24" dish for the 129?

As an installing subcontractor, I have a variety of satellite dishes in my shop, including those mentioned. I went out and measured the lnb to pan distances on eacn, To use a Dish300 with a Dish500 pan, you must extend the lnb position by 1-5/8 inches from the current position. You can cut the arm at some point and make a "D" tube extension out of a piece of galvanized steel.

You cannot attach an "I" tube extension to a "D" tube on a Dish 300. The extension can, however be used on a DirecTV rectangular dish mount, if you cut off the tube on the mount and drill the appropriate 1/8 inch holes for the mounting bolt.

I bought my Dish 500 off ebay for like 40 bucks used from someone in Texas. I can't really see where there would be that much savings to buy/ship a Dish 500 reflector only.

My 61.5 is that Dish500+DPTwin with the Skew set to 90. Misuse of a Dish500? Yeah probably, but I already had it here. I have a bunch of legacy stuff but very little DP hardware.

Also, in my experience the vertical bolt holes don't line up to the Dish300 mount. They might on some but they didn't line up on any of mine.

Also, in my experience the vertical bolt holes don't line up to the Dish300 mount. They might on some but they didn't line up on any of mine.

Dish300's, as I recall, were made by Channel Master, KTI (now CalAmp) and Winegard. All of those mounts will line up to a Dish500 pan, except that made by Winegard. The Winegard Dish300 is easily identified, as the pan has four holes spaced holes around the edge of the pan. These were used to hang the pan in the manufacturing process and serves no function in the ultimate application of the dish.

That's probably the one I have.. It's a D bar and it's old as hell. Has a nice faded matte to it instead of the more traditional gloss finishes nowadays. Not sure if the weather did that or that's how it was made.

The only time I've had the mast be different is for my DirecPC dish which was HUGE.. Otherwise mast has been the same for pretty much everything out there..

I think the Superdish has a big mast too but can't remember.

So yeah, Dish 500, DirecTV 3 feed and single feed are all the same mast.

The pan for the 500 is larger than the 300 but it is defocused for two lnb's. You will probably get about the same signal from either.

I believe a Dish 300 is normally aimed at 119 if you're using it as a single dish install with a Dish 300.

Thanks drdroo. My mom and step dad have a dish 300 and I'm trying to talk them in to upgrading to a dish 500. Now I can see what channels they are missing on 110 in there package.

Later,

BigJohn2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)