Swapping External Harddrives

You could buy 1TB or 1.5TB or 2TB one disk; practically any recent USB drive enclosure will handle the sizes. Next question - is Dish FW support 1.5 or 2TB disks ? !TB ppl tested - works fine for 622/722 and 211/411.

Before I got the docking station, I used a hub. It looked like this, though I don't know the exact model. I bought it at "Big Lots" and it has no manufacturer or model number of any kind printed on it. I hung it off the back USB port and plugged in four drives.

USB 2.0 4 Port Slim Hub

Worked perfectly, all I had to do was power off the current drive, answer the "you have disconnected" popup, then poper on the new one.

At least this type: https://www.cnaweb.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=264
85-854.jpg

(1) The three move limit was temporary and was removed with implementation of a "household key" for all (611/622/722/922?) recorders on your account. The hex number is found in the menu-6-3 diagnostics--several pages down. You might want to note it as mine changed on one and it wanted to reformat the drive. The solution is to have the tech give your system a "hit" and it does not even require a reboot. All your recorders get a new number--it does not affect the drives, how? On my 622/722/722, one 722 differs in the last digit but it works, how?

(2) Yes you could switch the USB lines or just power off all but the needed one(s) with the USB fed to a combiner or reversed splitter. That box would be more interesting with dual knobs and outputs--when you get to more than one recorder.

BTW, it is a shame that they implemented a different and separately charged system for the 212?/222 and what follows them.

I sure would like to put one drive on the front and one on the back and copy from one to the other. It would halve the time to move recordings between drives. Then again, I don't plan to do that very often--I've said before.

If starting today I would not keep different drives for different ratings. I would just fill up the drives sequentially and note it in the spreadsheet. I would also probably use an open (Thermatake?) mount but that was not there when I started, so I have a lot of larger boxes. I think those mounts are limited to 1TB for the heating. The first 750GB drive was near $190 on sale. Say Moore's Law.

Dish does de-fragging on the internal, I think, but the external does not move files so it gets a lot of waste space. To de-frag copy the whole disk.
-Ken

(1) The three move limit was temporary and was removed with implementation of a "household key" for all (611/622/722/922?) recorders on your account. The hex number is found in the menu-6-3 diagnostics--several pages down. You might want to note it as mine changed on one and it wanted to reformat the drive. The solution is to have the tech give your system a "hit" and it does not even require a reboot. All your recorders get a new number--it does not affect the drives, how? On my 622/722/722, one 722 differs in the last digit but it works, how?

Umm, that's quite interesting -- anybody used that key to try to decrypt the files on the drive?

Do I understand that when they hit your boxes, the keys all changed? (i.e. they all changed to the same number, which was different than any number on any of your boxes previously?) That's odd, perhaps it's a key that encrypts the working key stored on the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)