Sweatshops are not just for Apple!

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
After all the ranting and braying about Apple and the sweatshops of China, it seems there is at least one other company you might know about that has the same problem...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/report-paints-dire-picture-samsung-factory-working-conditions-030044518.html

Now let's see how much yelling about this there will be! :)

After all the ranting and braying about Apple and the sweatshops of China, it seems there is at least one other company you might know about that has the same problem...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/report-paints-dire-picture-samsung-factory-working-conditions-030044518.html

Now let's see how much yelling about this there will be! :)

First off, it's not an Apple issue, it's more of a FoxConn issue. Apple gets the most stick for it because they're Apple, but Microsoft and other tech companies are involved in the fray as well. Everyone has blood on their hands in more ways than one.

As far as Samsung's issue, the fact of the matter is that this stuff goes on with TONS of tech companies. It's the "price" we pay for cheap electronics. Whether you buy stuff from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc, odds are something non-kosher went down from the collecting of materials to you buying it at your retailer. As long as we do business in places like China and Korea or any other place where human rights/fair wage laws are lax to non-existent, "stories" like this are going to exist.

Of course you're right, but when all the yelling about that horrible Apple was going on, most were not willing to admit what you just said.

Corporations have and will continue to look for the cheapest place to get their stuff built. Currently that is China, but if or when China changes some of their laws to restrict some of that, which will push up the cost of mfg, then they will look for another cesspool of cheap labor and make the move again.

It has been that way for a very long time, and the US mfgs are no different than any other. Corporates moved mfg to less expensive states, even had sweatshops in many parts of the country. Always looking for the least costly way to mfg their goods.

Of course you're right, but when all the yelling about that horrible Apple was going on, most were not willing to admit what you just said.
Yes.. sadly not everyone is as smart and honest as me. It's a blessing and a curse I live with everyday, if I may be so humble to say. :rolleyes:

Corporations have and will continue to look for the cheapest place to get their stuff built. Currently that is China, but if or when China changes some of their laws to restrict some of that, which will push up the cost of mfg, then they will look for another cesspool of cheap labor and make the move again.

It has been that way for a very long time, and the US mfgs are no different than any other. Corporates moved mfg to less expensive states, even had sweatshops in many parts of the country. Always looking for the least costly way to mfg their goods.

Because we, as consumers, shop for the lowest prices and do not consider other factors. Very few of us even consider working conditions or the environment when purchasing everyday items.

First off, it's not an Apple issue, it's more of a FoxConn issue. Apple gets the most stick for it because they're Apple, but Microsoft and other tech companies are involved in the fray as well. Everyone has blood on their hands in more ways than one.

As far as Samsung's issue, the fact of the matter is that this stuff goes on with TONS of tech companies. It's the "price" we pay for cheap electronics. Whether you buy stuff from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc, odds are something non-kosher went down from the collecting of materials to you buying it at your retailer. As long as we do business in places like China and Korea or any other place where human rights/fair wage laws are lax to non-existent, "stories" like this are going to exist.
Now you've done it - you said Microsoft was involved. Poke is going to kick your butt.

Because we, as consumers, shop for the lowest prices and do not consider other factors. Very few of us even consider working conditions or the environment when purchasing everyday items.

Absolutely correct! I don't care where stuff is mfg other than as something to think about, and maybe comment on. But when the checkbook comes out, I'm thinking about those benjamins!! :)

Yes.. sadly not everyone is as smart and honest as me. It's a blessing and a curse I live with everyday, if I may be so humble to say. :rolleyes:

As Socrates once pondered, "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied." Unfortunately, being smarter than the average bear entitles you a higher than average rate of mental illness...such as depression from living amongst idiots. :p

First off, it's not an Apple issue, it's more of a FoxConn issue.
You can replace "Apple" and "FoxConn" with just about any company and their primary supplier, but it is the branded company's issue. They have the ability to inspect, audit, specify, etc details like this in their contracts.

Absolutely true, but with electronics, we really don't have much choice. Are there any cell phones made in the US?

As Socrates once pondered, "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied." Unfortunately, being smarter than the average bear entitles you a higher than average rate of mental illness...such as depression from living amongst idiots. :p
Well there is a reason why I'm the creator of the "What's annoying you right now" thread, which was the original topic until it was expanded to encompass sadness as well.

Well there is a reason why I'm the creator of the "What's annoying you right now" thread, which was the original topic until it was expanded to encompass sadness as well.

perhaps i should change the title of that thread to "what's annoying yourbeliefs right now" . :p :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)