switch can't find satellite 101

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi:

Is there any possible reason why all of a sudden (today) I can't get any of the satellite 101 channels? Is there some type of maintenance in effect?

In the signal mode, it shows a good signal for the other 2 satellites, but it simply can not find 101; any ideas?

Also, I was playing with the system setup on one of the tvs, and accidently exited when it was searching for signal. Now, the box can't find any of the channels (even though the signal test still finds 2 out of the 3 satellites).

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that it is a 3 LNB dish, and this is the first time having a problem where the dish can't find the satellite.

The 101 channels all have "searching for signal" on the bottom...

Was there a power outage?

Have you to reset the boxes or tried unpluging them for 15 minutes?

Any bad weather or wind?

Any summer leaves filling in?

>Was there a power outage?
no

>Have you to reset the boxes or tried unpluging them for 15 minutes?
I'll try now

>Any bad weather or wind?
nope

Any summer leaves filling in?
will check to see if there are leavers all over the dish, but doubt it.

Well, I unplugged one of the units (for 15 minutes) and now that TV is like the one previously mentioned; that is, it can not find any channels at all :(.

So, now I have 3 televisions missing 101 channels and 2 not getting anything...

Looks like I'll have to call direct tv in the morning :(. Do they make visits on saturdays?

Hmm...it appears that direct tv is now working since this morning. Oddly there was no bad weather around, so I'm not sure what caused the problems yesterday; any ideas?

Dont worry, same thing happened to me, I reset my boxes though and the signal came back, I am having 90 degree weather and some tech's told me that it may be "brown outs" not sure what that means but my boxes are working again so...

MattJ2124 said:
Dont worry, same thing happened to me, I reset my boxes though and the signal came back, I am having 90 degree weather and some tech's told me that it may be "brown outs" not sure what that means but my boxes are working again so...

Hmm...I havn't talked w/ any techs but we've been having 90+ degree weather also. Anyone else w/ similiar experiences?

Actually, I just had to reset another box a few minutes ago...weird!!!

Folks there was a bad batch of LNBs that stopped working during high temps. I don't know what the serial numbers were or anything like that. If anyone does please let us know. I would say that if it is happening during peak temps and then is fine in the morning you need to replace your LNB....

again... :(

Ok, similiar thing happening again.

One television just stopped recieving the sattellite signal. It just sits there and says "searching for signal," while the other 3 televisions are fine. Well, almost fine; It seems that certain channels are not coming in at all: USA, IFC, and maybe others (havn't checked).

I tried resetting (unpluging...) but during setup it just sits there on "searching for satellite signal." I even switched the receiver and same thing. It just can find the satellite signal.

This is what happened last time. Although, last time (for the hell of it) I reset a box from one of the working televisions and the same problem occured with that TV: it wouldn't get past system setup and would stay stuck on "Searching for satellite..."

I havn't tried resetting one of the working televisions, but I'm assuming the same thing will happen.

So...:
1. Any ideas why IFC and USA is not found?
2. Any ideas why one television receiver stopped receiving the signal all together.
3. Anyone still think "heat issues" might be the culprit? It was about 90 today and worse yesterday.

BTW, this problem occurred yesterday and resetting the receiver still does not help.

Thanks!

Well it was 115 here today and its 108 now and I am running, but in post #10 SilverSurfer says he was informed there was a bad batch of LNBs that stopped working during high temps and he is unaware of the specific serial or batch numbers numbers (aka anything like that) affected and you should try to replace your LNB. So it must be a very limited segment of users and a "bad batch" (defective) could be a reason. If that is the case someone that has switched and the cleared it up please post your make and the markings found on the LNB.

Now this would be something that (if true) DirecTV should have posted on their website! Longhorn or Robert have you seen this info?

Not recently, but several years ago, we had an LNB which was in the afternoon sun and it stopped working or lost signal in very high afternoon temps, but then it came back on again when it got out of the sun and the temp went down. Of course, we went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong-finally put on a new LNB and had no problemos after that. However, this was more than five years ago, so may not be your problem now, and the total loss on other boxes does not sound like an LNB probelm?

Our current dish seems immune to the problem, but when my attic gets really, really hot (despite my exhaust fans up there), my Terk multiswitch eats the 75 ohm power supply coax running from its transformer to the switch. At first, I thought my system had crashed or that the switch was bad, but it was just a matter of changing a four foot length of coax. Shazaam.

Brownouts or power surges can upset your box also, but resetting should fix it.

Try resetting all three boxes at the same time as long as 1 is plugged into AC Power the system stays powered up.

Happy Camper said:
Not recently, but several years ago, we had an LNB which was in the afternoon sun and it stopped working or lost signal in very high afternoon temps, but then it came back on again when it got out of the sun and the temp went down. Of course, we went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong-finally put on a new LNB and had no problemos after that. However, this was more than five years ago, so may not be your problem now, and the total loss on other boxes does not sound like an LNB probelm?

Our current dish seems immune to the problem, but when my attic gets really, really hot (despite my exhaust fans up there), my Terk multiswitch eats the 75 ohm power supply coax running from its transformer to the switch. At first, I thought my system had crashed or that the switch was bad, but it was just a matter of changing a four foot length of coax. Shazaam.

Brownouts or power surges can upset your box also, but resetting should fix it.

This is what I was referring to. I have not heard of this problem lately but you never know the age of someones dish either.

boba said:
Try resetting all three boxes at the same time as long as 1 is plugged into AC Power the system stays powered up.

I'll try this shortly, but just so you guys know, we are still not recieving IF, USA, TNT on any of the televisions (searching for sat. signal error). And the one receiver is still completely not receiving anything.

Any idea why these channels can not be found? This seems very odd to me :(.

Nights have been fairly cool, so I'm beginning to think heat is not the problem, so I may end up placing a call to Direct TV.

One question though: how is the service at DTV? Will they come out to inspect/solve the problem as my cable company used to? Or is it a "you are on your own" type of thing?

Heah :(.

I tried the resetting of 3 of the receivers, but just as I expected, we now have 3 televisions "stuck" on "searching for satellite."

This sucks!

The one television is sitll going (with the exception of IFC, USA, TNT, and probably a few others).

I'm totally confused by this. Also, we've only had DTV for 1 year; actually about 10 months so far...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)