Switch for over the air

John7683

Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Saucier
I'm new to this forum and to some degree technically ignorant in this field.
Any information is greatly appreciated, and thanks for any assistance.

Problem: A few weeks ago a service man "fixed" my outage on dish network. He said my "switch" failed and was replaced. The sat signal is good and works fine. I no longer have over the air channels from my antenna. The service man told me the new "switch" would not accept the antenna input and that was the only type switch Dish Network provided since the local channels are now provided via the sat.
Does anyone know what type of switch I need to restore my over the air channels via an outdoor antenna? Also, where can I obtain the switch?

Thanks

John

If someone came out and "Fixed" your system, and you have "Less" than you had before, then I would say it wasn't fixed.. More likely the tech had no clue how to "fix" it correctly. Was this a DISH tech or a local retailer type?

The service man told me the new "switch" would not accept the antenna input and that was the only type switch Dish Network provided since the local channels are now provided via the sat.

Sorry (and no offense to Matt from DISH), but I must chuckle when I see these kinds of references about "locals" made by those in the DBS biz (sales, support, etc). It comes across that since DBS provides your "locals" -- consisting of CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS (Local/Statewide) at a minimum, and in some areas a local CW, MYNetwork, etc -- then no other area TV stations exist. With my rooftop antenna, I get a "boat load" more of "local" channels not offered on DISH or DBS in general. I get ALL of the channels from my adjacent market (DMA), plus all of those sub-channels with the advent of digital OTA - I get none of these from DBS. So, I chuckle when I have called inquiring about the OTA module or related OTA questions and they sound like I'm crazy for using a rooftop antenna.

I'm with Matt & Dfergie. My guess is the OP had a diplexor and the tech removed it.

eacalhoun, I know what you mean. Locally I get at least two dozen channels via antenna that Dish doesn't provide including ThisTV, The CoolTV, RTN, Universal Sports, A1, Two weather channels, CW, 13 additional PBS channels, Enlace, Smile of a Child, JCTV plus all the locals from a near-by market. Love the 622 for this reason.

To the original poster. What receiver do you have? Do you have coax running from your antenna down to where your receiver is? If not, you will need to do that and connect that to the antenna in on the back of the receiver. If you had your OTA locals already programmed in, that should do it.

I'm starting to wonder if the OP posted this in the wrong forum. I recall seeing some DirecTV switches that have an OTA input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts