Switch from Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience becoming a new Directv subscriber recently. I have been one for 5 years now, but have a friend who is a comcast subscriber who wants to switch to D*, except that he would have to pay $200 for an HR20.

He wants to leave comcast because they took the NFL network and put it in the sports package and will not have the Big Ten Network when it launches. Plus all the new HD coming in the next month has him enticed.

He currently has a HDDVR with comcast, and being that it is cable he has three televisions hooked up, one with the HDDVR, and one with a standard digital cable reciever. He called D* last week and could get the choice extra package with HD for the same price he has with comcast. He is willing to go down to just two receivers to save $5 a month by not watching TV in his bedroom, (he could not justify the cost for how much he did). The thing that keeps him from fully deciding to go with D* is that they will make him pay $200 for the HR20.

I recently called and told the customer retention that I received a mailer from my local Dish Network company saying I could get a comparable package with a free HDDVR if I switch. D* simply gave me a free HR20. Could a new customer do the same? I have to believe that D* does want customers, and if Dish Network is offering free HDDVR's, I want to believe D* will step up and match that.

Has any new subscriber out there recently been able to strong arm D* into a free HDDVR?

D* will stand firm on its price of the HR20 to new customers. But here are some things for your friend to think about:

1. He would probably want the Plus HD/DVR package not the Choice Extra (basically they are the same, but the Plus has the HD service @ $9.99 and DVR service @$5.99 included). So his price would be $69.99 not $54.99.

2. As a new cust he could get the NFLST for $69.99 and get all the NFL games on Sundays, all the premium channels for 4 months and free DVR service. He would have to pay extra for the HD service.

3. Also check with D* to see if tax is charged on programming in his states. Some states do not charge tax. Remember also that any charge on his cable bill for "excise tax" or "franchise fee" will not appear on his satellite bill. This could save him the $ to have the third box.

4. How much does Comcast charge for the HDDVR? A lot of times it is more than D* charges which over the course of a 2 year contract might wipe out the $200 upfront charge.

5. Lastly, VOD (coming), remote scheduling (coming), eSATA drive support, more HD channels (coming), the NFL network and BTN -make the HR20 look like a better choice.

Good luck to him:)

I just made the switch from Comcast to D* and was in a similar situation. After numerous calls to D* I was unable to get them to budge on the upfront cost of the HR20. I was able to get them to give me some programming credits, however (10$ off per month for 10 months). Since I wanted NFLST I took this deal figuring that the lower overall monthly cost would offset the 100$ the DVR would wind up costing. Since there's apparently no tax on my D* service (and no franchising fee) that alone will probably make up the 100$ over my 2 year commitment.

If your friend likes football there's no better deal right now then the NFLST deal D* is offering.

yes I just made the switch from Comcast - if he orders online - he'll get $100 the HD-DVR + $50 Visa Gift card + $100 (10 - $10 service credits) + free install and the free 4 months of premier

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)