Switch from Directv to Dish

imha if you go with dish do 2 hoppers and no joeys
with the joey using a hopper tuner its worthless (imho)

I would stay with direct and go for a genie, add it to whatever you have (if you have a dvr you can do whole home)

just a personal opinion

there are theads in the war zone about tis
a joey has no tuner, it must use a tuner from a hopper, this negates the ability to record on this tuner
in the same way the directv remote unit uses a tuner froma genie negating the ability to record from it

the difference is that a regular dvr from direct can share content with a genie (a regular receiver can also if everything is swm)
you can mix and match much of directv equipment

you cannot mix and match dish
if a hopper worked with a 622/722/922 it would be on par with genie

Thanks. That makes more sense. Does it matter though since I don't have any equipment? And if I were to go with all hoppers instead of joeys, what is the price difference?

not trolling, just like people to be totally aware
I do not like the remote tuner less unit on either system

That's why 2 Hoppers was recommended. With 2 Hoppers you would have 6 satellite tuners available and double the hard drive space. It would cost $12 for the second Hopper instead of $7 for the Joey but for a heavy user it's well worth it.

That's why 2 Hoppers was recommended. With 2 Hoppers you would have 6 satellite tuners available and double the hard drive space. It would cost $12 for the second Hopper instead of $7 for the Joey but for a heavy user it's well worth it.

and I stated that in my first reply
I didn't see anyone making him aware of how a joey worked

also, I didn't see anyone mention that a genie would possibly integrate into his existing equipment
I stall say the hopper not working wth existing dish equipment was a mistake on dishes part

no one mentioned how a genie works with existing equipment as we don't have experience with a genie. you don't have experience with a hopper, so you can butt out of the technical details of using/setting up a hopper.

no one mentioned how a genie works with existing equipment as we don't have experience with a genie. you don't have experience with a hopper, so you can butt out of the technical details of using/setting up a hopper.

but I did read a lot about it when it came out, as I was thinking of switching to it.
did I offer any false info? No.
or were you offended that I pointed out the limitations?

No, but the guy came here saying he wanted to switch because of programming and price, so we were giving him the best case scenarios for 2 tvs. 2 hoppers/no joeys is not the best case scenario price wise, and it requires a lot of headaches to get it ordered that way, as it's not a standard installation.

Look at your viewing habits and what you want to record. At one time, if you wanted 2 Hoppers without a Joey, you had to buy the 2nd. Don't know if that is still the case. If you have 1 Hopper and want to add a 2nd, I think the node has to be changed from a single to a dual node.

I talked to the DIRT rep and he said that I could not order two hoppers and no joeys. We juast have standard HD DVRs with Directv and they seem adequate. We just delete material as we are finished.

I talked to the DIRT rep and he said that I could not order two hoppers and no joeys. We juast have standard HD DVRs with Directv and they seem adequate. We just delete material as we are finished.

well external archiving could help with this, but I don't do it, and didn't with dish.
there are people here with 2 hoppers and no joeys, I think they had the hoppers installed and refused the joey during install process

well external archiving could help with this, but I don't do it, and didn't with dish.
there are people here with 2 hoppers and no joeys, I think they had the hoppers installed and refused the joey during install process

?They either did that or they had a retailer do their install.

if you are able to get a 2 hopper 0 joey setup, it will be $24/mo in fees vs. $19.

Exactly. If we didn't know it used to be no difference in cost from a Joey, one would say the $5 difference is worth it.... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)