Switch from Dish to Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobo8652805

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
My contract is nearing an end for Dish and I am excited about watching some NFL Sunday Ticket games this fall. I live in an apartment and currently have a 722 with the tv 2 coax running through the existing cable tv outlet to my sd tv in the bedroom. We love using the UHF remote for changing channels on tv 2 and not worrying about another coax cord. I have a few questions to make sure that Directv will not be to much hassle

1) Which HD Dvr model should I ask for, or hope for, in the living room?

2) Does Directv have a sd receiver with a UHF remote that I could leave in the living room? This would allow me to continue to use the existing coax outlets?

3) If I get an HD Dvr and one sd reciever, I assume there will be two coax cables that I will need to run from my balcony to my entertainment center, assuming UHF remote for the sd receiver. Is this correct, or is there a way to split on one coax? My wife hates that we have a coax along the wall in the living room.

4) Does anyone remember last year's new subscriber promotion around NFL season? Looks like you save $21 a month for a year plus 3 months of premiums. Just trying to see if the deal will get sweeter this summer.

I wish I could answer your questions, but something that you said inspired a question of my own:

We love using the UHF remote for changing channels on tv 2 and not worrying about another coax cord.
Don't you have to physically connect the receiver to the second TV with a coax cable? I have been trying to understand how this is done, especially when you say that it's not needed. Thanks!

1) Which HD Dvr model should I ask for, or hope for, in the living room?
You pretty much just get what you get. It will be a HR20, HR21, HR22, or the newer HR23. You can request a particular model from the installing company but it does not mean you will get it, and really depends on what they have in stock. If you are wanting an over the air tuner, then the HR20 has one built in, and the guide/menus generally run faster. On the other hand, the HR23 is the newest model and has a larger hard drive (500GB) than the earlier models. If you end up with a HR23, it will most likely not be a refurbished one.

2) Does Directv have a sd receiver with a UHF remote that I could leave in the living room? This would allow me to continue to use the existing coax outlets?
I believe you can purchase a UHF remote separately from DirecTV for around $25.

3) If I get a HD Dvr and one sd reciever, I assume there will be two coax cables that I will need to run from my balcony to my entertainment center, assuming UHF remote for the sd receiver. Is this correct, or is there a way to split on one coax? My wife hates that we have a coax along the wall in the living room.
You will likely need three coax cables running from the dish, two for the HD DVR and one for the SD receiver. They do now have their SWM technology that would allow just one cable coming from the dish, and then split it, but those are typically reserved for orders with at least five tuners. You can call the installer and request one, but again, no guarantees. You can also buy it yourself from eBay or some other seller.

4) Does anyone remember last year's new subscriber promotion around NFL season? Looks like you save $21 a month for a year plus 3 months of premiums. Just trying to see if the deal will get sweeter this summer.
The best deal for Sunday Ticket usually comes around late July or early August. In the past, they give you Premier for free for four months, if you order ST as a new subscriber, so you may want to wait until then to sign up.

We lucked out when connecting the tv tuner #2 on our dish 722 receiver. When the initial install was done, the installer ran one coax cable along the wall in our apartment to connect the dish to the dual tuner receiver. The installer then ran another coax from the tv 2 output from the receiver along the wall to our sd tv in the bedroom. I discovered the "interior" cabletv connection box in the coat closet. It had a place where the master signal from the cable company would be split to all the coax outlets in the apartment. I then used a 3 foot coax to take the output to tv 2 from the receiver and plugged into the pre-wired coax outlet behind the tv. I then located the coax that was to feed my bedroom from the cable company. Next I just used a coax to coax connector to transmit the tv 2 signal from the dual receiver to the coax outlet in the bedroom and then used the uhf remote supplied by dish for tv 2 viewing. I guess you could say that I am "using" the wiring that was meant to feed cable to the various outlets in the apartment.

The best deal for Sunday Ticket usually comes around late July or early August. In the past, they give you Premier for free for four months, if you order ST as a new subscriber, so you may want to wait until then to sign up.

& u get SuperFan for free as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)