Switch from HWS to H3?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
Since my main viewing tv's are 4K, I was thinking about changing from HWS to H3.
I would like to know what would have to be done & how much of a monthly increase I would have.

Present set up is 2 HWS & 1 wireless joey
Both HWS are connected directly to the tv vis hdmi.
The bedroom HWS also connects to a bathroom tv via component balum over cat 5 cable.
The main HWS has the wireless joey connected which is for the kitchen tv.
Would I be able to have the same set up with 2 H3's?
Would the bedroom H3 still provide 4K programming to the connected tv or would it only be 1080 since that is bathroom tv's maximum?
I would also want to add a wireless Joey 4 to a new room tv.
Would I also need to upgrade my current wireless joey to wireless joey 4 for the kitchen, which is only 1080?
What would be the additional monthly charge for this set up?

Sounds like you'd want to get a hopper3 and with hopper plus and two wifi Joey4s. As for the bedroom you can do a hard wired joey4 or even wireless joey4 but they don't have component out. So your secondary tv would only be able to receive a standard definition signal over composite out. Or as me toned above you could purchase a second hopper3 which I believe will be around $350 but if you wanted the hopper plus I don't think they key you gave two so would have to fo without on that tv.

Yes, I know I could get by without 2 h3, but I want the same functionality I have now.
If I connect a 4k TV via hdmi, and 1 1080i TV via balum, would the 4k still only receive a 1080i signal? The same goes for the wireless joey?

Yes, I know I could get by without 2 h3, but I want the same functionality I have now.
If I connect a 4k TV via hdmi, and 1 1080i TV via balum, would the 4k still only receive a 1080i signal? The same goes for the wireless joey?
The wireless Joeys are not 4K, other than the new 4-Series that come with the Hopper+. The 4K TV would get a 4K signal on the few 4K channels/broadcasts there are

The wireless Joeys are not 4K, other than the new 4-Series that come with the Hopper+. The 4K TV would get a 4K signal on the few 4K channels/broadcasts there are
that is why I haven't changed from the HWS to H3. There just isn't any programming other than streaming services, and I don't think my internet is fast enough to handle 4k. I wanted the wireless Joey 4 because it is supposed to be faster than the original wireless joey that I have.
Would there have to be any wiring changes to switch the HWS's to H3's? Or is it just swap the cables & plug in the power?

Reactions: charlesrshell
that is why I haven't changed from the HWS to H3. There just isn't any programming other than streaming services, and I don't think my internet is fast enough to handle 4k. I wanted the wireless Joey 4 because it is supposed to be faster than the original wireless joey that I have.
Would there have to be any wiring changes to switch the HWS's to H3's? Or is it just swap the cables & plug in the power?
It depends on which LNB that you have. If it’s the old DPP technology with a dual node, that would have to change to DPH technology with a dual hub. If you were installed within the last five years, then it’s probably already set.

There are other advantages to the newer hoppers like many more tuners so that you have a lot more recording opportunities. And of course it’s got newer hardware and more memory so everything is a lot faster and more streamlined. Particularly with the Joeys, which is where you would probably see the biggest improvement unless your existing hoppers never got the hopper snap USB devices added to them

How about this:
Bedroom - Hopper3 connected HDMI to 4K TV with the same balun connected via cat 5 to the bathroom.
Main TV - Joey 4 connected HDMI to 4k TV ( Joey 4 does 4K).
New TV room - wireless Joey4 (does 4K connected HDMI to new TV.
All channels and all recordings are accessible on all TV's and I think your bill actually may go down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts