Switch out 722k for Hopper 3

Sorry, I shouldn't say its so much the techs, its the sitting on the phone trying to explain something that makes me crazy. To put my frustration in perspective, this past weekend I removed a 222k from my account (via an online chat) that wasn't being used and somehow I lost NHL Center Ice. For some reason it was saying onscreen and online that it wasn't already paid for and that I needed to purchase. First I tried online and they disconnected me after I explained everything. Then I called and a gentleman said I never paid for it (I had the receipt from September wherein I purchased the full season), then he said it wasn't available to Dish residential customers anymore, which didn't make sense At this point I asked for a supervisor, who was rude, and again told me its not available to Dish customers and that 'I needed to listen to him'. Finally I lost all patience and said 'ok, just cancel everything, I'm done', thinking retention would be more helpful. The same supervisor than threatened my credit rating for cancelling, despite the fact I was on a PayGo account, Dish does not have my social number, I have never been under contract, own my equipment and have installed everything myself. Finally the supervisor transferred me over to the retention department whom, were much more polite, but also couldn't figure out why Center Ice was gone, they were going to get some other department to look into it and get back to me. Finally as a last resort I said how about I just pay for it again and you credit me, that worked, although they charged my credit card immediately for it and only put the credit back on my account so I'll have to wait a month to see it, but I digress. Anyway this took me 4 hours of my time, it was a soul sucking experience I'd rather not experience again anytime soon. But I have no issues with techs per say.

Reactions: wormil
Hmmm. Is there an app to record cell phone calls? That would have been very handy in your case.

Hmmm. Is there an app to record cell phone calls? That would have been very handy in your case.

You have to be careful when doing that because in some states that is illegal unless you get all party's permission. Of course you can do that for your own purpose but never publish it or reference you have it in the case of a claim.

Anyway, I empathize with jdt. I have a 722K and a 722 with a dual dish system custom configured with a 30" 69.5 for improved rain fade and a shield over one of the LNB's to get the second dish recognized. I've had this setup for years working perfectly! Some years ago the hard drive quit in my 722K and I called as the 722K was a lease. They sent a tech out to swap them and he didn't understand my wiring so he proceeded to redo it and when I saw him tossing my 30" dish into his van, I stopped him and got into an argument. The dish farm was mine not DishNetwork. After some debate with the CSR over the phone and me threatening to call the police, he gave my dish back and left. Now I have no service until I spent a day rewiring my house the way it was. I called to activate the swapped 722K and they wouldn't do it so I had to have another installer come out and activate it. No issues. He was advised by Dish that I was a problem customer and not to mess with my antennas. Such a simple task, unplug one DVR and put another in it's place and call it in but that simple task ended up taking three days of work with no service and $50 of new cable to replace the old the first guy chopped all up.

The next time I had the 722 fail and I called and they just shipped me the DVR. I swapped it out, activated it myself and took the bad one back to a UPS center and all good.

Do I need a Hopper? Hell NO! It doesn't do what I need like the 722K with the added tuner, and my Sling box for what I pay. If it goes and they want to make me go to a Hopper system, I will cancel my account, and go all IP TV.

Besides both my wife and I have our 722 Hard drives with an archive of content of classics we use. If the 722K and 722 goes, the content will be gone too. Hopper is just way too costly and gives me nothing I need or want. If it did, I'd be all over it.

Actually, the Hopper may be cheaper.

In VA, only one party need be aware of the recording. Besides, the casual comment “This call is being recorded” might do wonders for the CSR’s attitude.

Well I agree with that. There are still 12 states you cannot record a phone call without two party consent. That is more than just your casual comment. You must ask for permission and if it is not given you have to stop the call. But Federal law allows single party consent unless superseded by a state limit.

12 states requiring 2 party consent:
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • Pennsylvania
  • Washington

Actually, the Hopper may be cheaper.
How so? Last I checked it was considerably more expensive but I haven't looked at it in years. The main thing I didn't like was the automatic recording of all locals from the bird. I use a rooftop antenna for more local channels than Dish re-transmits and the image quality is considerably less noisy. You may not see the image difference on a small flat screen. But it is obvious on a 120" screen. I also am not charged anymore for the locals package. I called a couple years ago and had it removed from my subscription. Saved me $10 a month for something I never used. Back when I had the locals, I would often see than go dark during a rain storm while my antenna locals would stay without interruption.

Reactions: oljim60
Dish records all calls. They can be pulled up for review and are, often, by the heads of the CSR departments to gather evidence in disputes, etc

If it makes for more knowledgeable CSR's, I'm all about that, record me and play me back until your heart's content.

Dish records all calls. They can be pulled up for review and are, often, by the heads of the CSR departments to gather evidence in disputes, etc

It's been too long ago since I spoke with Dish but living in Florida, two party consent, they would need my permission to record the call if they planed on using it legally, like for collections. I don't recall whether they asked me for permission in the past. However, as I understand the law, they can still record the call and use it internally without informing me. When you say "gather evidence" that could be construed as evidence for legal purposes. That's why you often hear CSR's state that the call "may be recorded for training purposes" then never request your permission. If they wanted it for legal use or for publication, then they must get your verbal permission.

People in single party consent states can be victims. Recall the two comedians who have been calling government officials and trying to make them out to be fools as a comedy act. They published those recording stunts on You Tube and other broadcast media, legally, because of the single party consent permission law.

It's been too long ago since I spoke with Dish but living in Florida, two party consent, they would need my permission to record the call if they planed on using it legally, like for collections. I don't recall whether they asked me for permission in the past. However, as I understand the law, they can still record the call and use it internally without informing me. When you say "gather evidence" that could be construed as evidence for legal purposes. That's why you often hear CSR's state that the call "may be recorded for training purposes" then never request your permission. If they wanted it for legal use or for publication, then they must get your verbal permission.

People in single party consent states can be victims. Recall the two comedians who have been calling government officials and trying to make them out to be fools as a comedy act. They published those recording stunts on You Tube and other broadcast media, legally, because of the single party consent permission law.
Well, it says all calls are (or may be) recorded, but if you say a CSR told you something different, for example, then that dept head can listen to the conversation and verify what was really said

Yes, but I said I didn't recall what they said if anything. It really was too long ago since I have had to call Dish. I do agree that recording all calls for internal training purposes can and has improved the CSR experience. But, I also feel that requiring 2 party consent is a good way the public can protect themselves against abuse. Editing a conversation is just too easy, so if you know your discussion will be recorded by them, it is best if you make your own recording to protect against abuse. Still you have no protection against publication in a single party authorization. Your only recourse there is to sue them if you can prove damages.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Navy- unfortunately there isn't an easy way to record phone calls on your iphone. Has to do with Apple's policy for privacy. But if you make a call where you have internet and you have 3rd party conference calling from your provider you can use any number of apps that will work using either the free ones or the $ ones. It will activate a 3rd party server to listen in on your conversation and record it then give you access to the call when you are finished. Some only allow recording on an inbound while others allow you to record outbound as well. I believe the Android phones allow a similar process using Google settings. Some are limited on the length of the recording, others limit the number of calls, others limit the time you can retrieve the recording. But the $ apps seem to offer unlimted service. What all this complication means is do your homework before buying. It can be done but it is not simple as you would expect.

Reactions: navychop
I'd rather just not deal with Dish in that sense, would rather buy it and do it myself, then activate it. If its too complicated a switch out I'll just keep what I have, works fine, I liked the look of the guide better in the Hopper 3 is all.
Have you considered a Hopper Duo? With no Joeys, that would be a simple swap from a ViP722k, with no need for any new LNB's, switches, etc.

Reactions: JSheridan
Well, it says all calls are (or may be) recorded, but if you say a CSR told you something different, for example, then that dept head can listen to the conversation and verify what was really said
Unless the result of that would be in your favor. Then in that case, suddenly, Dish has no record that you ever called at all when you said you did. I have had that happen to me before.

Reactions: wormil
All call centers always say “This call may be recorded for quality assurance.” I always assumed that staying on the line gave my consent, even though I’m in a 1 party consent state.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts