Switch to Direct TV or Stay with Dish after 10 years?

gunrunr

Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
I have been with Dish Network for around 10 years (maybe More) and currently run a 501 PVR receiver that I paid for. I am tired of seeing all the super deals given to new subsribers and me not being eligible since I am already a customer. Doesn't my long standing loyalty mean anything?

I have considered turning off Dish and signing up for Direct TV for a while. Do they have good deals and will I like it? I went from a big dish straight to DishNetwork and have never had DirectTV. I love the PVR on my receiver and want something similar - taping on two channels at once would be even better! SHould I try to switch, is there something new coming I should wait for or is there a loyalty program I am unaware of.

How long would I have to stay with DirectTV before I could switch back to DishNetwork and be considered a new customer all over again?

What do you all think I should do?

To help answer, I subscribe to the TOP180 plus local channels and have for many years.

gunrunr said:
I have been with Dish Network for around 10 years (maybe More) and currently run a 501 PVR receiver that I paid for. I am tired of seeing all the super deals given to new subsribers and me not being eligible since I am already a customer. Doesn't my long standing loyalty mean anything?

Tell them that you are switching and they will send you to retention. That always works for for me on Directv. They hate to lose customers to another Satellite company.

Chesterbeag, that's doesn't work with E*. You tell them you want to cancel and they tell you it will be $25 to come back. They really don't care about keeping existing customers.

rad said:
They really don't care about keeping existing customers.

And that has to change. The "pool" for new customers is getting smaller and smaller. Both DISH and DirecTV need to do more in order to keep thier current customers.

By the way, DISH Network has only been providing service since 1996.

DISH came into existence March of 1996 so the maximum you could be with DISH is nine years even if it seems like forever. Switch to Directv and you will forget about switching back to DISH. I did about a year and a half ago some of the equipment cost me more than leasing it from DISH but it has all worked as designed without constant software bugs. No Super dishes DVRs that don't need to be rebooted, more HDTV channels, I get 3 of the 4 major nets off satellite.

Or you could go with Dish'n it up and get the 522 which gives you all that you wanted, and despite what "boba" says, I haven't had a single problem with mine, and it has worked great!!!! Call them and ask them about the 522 give it a shot.

Then I must have been with them since the first year. 2005 will mark my tenth year with them (only two receivers in all that time - pretty lucky at that)

Is there anything good or great coming from DISH soon? I'd hate to change right before it gets good. My picture quality doesn't seem as good as it used to be, is DirectTV better?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, I am new here.

gunrunr, since both E* and D* have announced plans to move to MPEG-4 transmission, you might want to hang around here for a little while 'till the effects on PQ and equipment compatibility are known.

BTW, just spent an hour on the phone with Dish. Downgraded programming, cancelled movie packages, shut off 2 receivers and got a credit for cancelled HD package. Two CSR's involved, neither bothered to ask me why I was going from over $100/month to less than $40/month. What rad said above:mad:

Oh, and welcome to Satelliteguys!

Dave

I disagree with that dish don't care too a point. Too a point they don't, but I have called before and told them that I am fed up and am going with D* and they offered me free stuff to stay. And I know others around who have had this happen. I guess it depends on how you say it and which CSR you get, I also know people that have D* and said they were going to switch to E* and got deals as were already said here. So really it all comes down to the old thing about cars, you like Ford or Chevy. Ford people will say bad about Chevy and Chevy DieHards will say bad about Ford. Both are cars, like D* or E* both are Sat Providers, both work great, both have problems. Both give better deals to new customers. This is life. This is the way business works.
Hook somebody to get more money, better yet sign a year or two contract.
There are things for existing Subs though if you look, it is just not right in your face like it is for new Subs. I have been with Dish since 1998. All I have to do is talk to the right people and get close to what I want. Mind you this is a 3-4 day process with different people not the college kid CSR that answers the phone, I have to always ask for higher up.
Just my thoughts
later all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)