Switch to Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slocoma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Hey gang,

I've had D* for about a year now, but I have been thinking about switching to Dish. My two reasons are: 1) My wife has harped on me from day one for E* because there is no WB channel on D*and we don't have a local affiliate. 2) I recently got an offer from E* for a free DVR, 4 rooms, 3 months HBO, etc, free month of basic service. Sounds pretty good.

I love D*. I have no complaints and don't really want to switch and have to learn new channel numbers, a new guide, rewire things, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch recently and has any comments or complaints?

My biggest concerns on switching are:

Does E*'s guide allow you "schedule" shows in advance and will it automatically tune to that channel when the show comes on?

Can I get the NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX NY and CA feeds even if E* offers locals to me and I can get locals on my OTA? I can get the NY and CA feeds now through D*. This is nice during football season because I get a couple of extra games because my local, the NY, and CA feeds might all show different games.

How does the E* DVR work? From reading some things it seems like you have 1 DVR and hook all your TV's in to it. Is that correct?

I think that's all for now. Like I said, any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Do not switch you will lose your nationals (NY & LA). You will not be able to get them back if you return to D*

I switched to E* and I hated it, Their DVR sucked, their boxes sucked, and everytime I had a blip in service due to weather or just a signal loss for half a second this stupid switch check window would pop up and take over a minute to finish. With D* if I had a small loss of signal like 1 second it would just pop back up so I would only lose a second. Sure the WB nationals is nice but not worth the trouble.

Keep D* don't lose your nationals.

I have had both, stick with DirecTV.

The reasons mentioned above
Better network availability overall
Better vision & position for the future needs and channels for subscribers
Better hardware & reliability (the one box/multi-TV RF solution from DISH provides a crappy picture)
NFL package

Spin said:
Do not switch you will lose your nationals (NY & LA). You will not be able to get them back if you return to D*

I switched to E* and I hated it, Their DVR sucked, their boxes sucked, and everytime I had a blip in service due to weather or just a signal loss for half a second this stupid switch check window would pop up and take over a minute to finish. With D* if I had a small loss of signal like 1 second it would just pop back up so I would only lose a second. Sure the WB nationals is nice but not worth the trouble.

Keep D* don't lose your nationals.
My in-laws have E*. I don't like their guide compared to D*'s and I also hate the fact that some times it will take 5-10 minutes when using the guide for channel information to show up. Is that because they hardly ever use the guide or is that normal for E*? My channel information for D* is always there and I can look days and days ahead without problems.

charper1 said:
I have had both, stick with DirecTV.

The reasons mentioned above
Better network availability overall
Better vision & position for the future needs and channels for subscribers
Better hardware & reliability (the one box/multi-TV RF solution from DISH provides a crappy picture)
NFL package

So their DVR is one box and you have to run cable to every room from that box? Sounds like a wiring nightmare and huge pain to go through.

slocoma said:
So their DVR is one box and you have to run cable to every room from that box? Sounds like a wiring nightmare and huge pain to go through.

I am not 100% sure if their DVR runs the same way, but the DISH multi-room box is an RF setup that runs separate line to each receiver and if you are concerned at all with picture quality, installation flexibility or the ability to rearrange the viewing areas at will, then this is not for you. Its the old 'one line then split to each room' type of setup.

slocoma said:

Actually, their DVR only supports one additional room (total of two, including the room the DVR is physically located). I'm not sure how the cabling would work, but I think you're correct about having to run a cable. At least in my house, I would have had to run the cable around the outside of the house up to my bedroom. It wouldn't have been pretty.

If you had four rooms, you would need two DVR's. Each DVR is $5 per month in addition to the $5 mirroring fee. By contrast, D* charges $5.95 total for as many DVR's as you care to own (up to 8, I believe. $5 mirror fee still applies)

I've had Dish. I like DirecTV better.

Just on the DVR alone...I think Directv/Tivo is much more user friendly as far as recording shows and such.

I have D* and my parents in WV have E*. They got it before I got D*, but I went with D* because I think they had some channels I wanted in the tier level that would require a more expensive tier on E* for me to get. I forget, it's been more than a year. Anyway since then I've had some time to evaluate some of the differences between E* and D* while visiting them over the months, and I've come to the conclusion that D* is just better. I like the D* guide better, I like the remote setup better (for some reason, they have their four TV's set up to have one remote control two TVs/receivers...I don't know why; I think their installer told them it was somehow a good thing to do that...it just confuses me every time I go down there) and now that I have a DirecTivo, I like the DVR a whole lot even if I've only had it a couple of days. Based on what I've heard about E*'s DVR and what I've experienced with D*'s DVR I'd stick with D* just on that.

But the biggest reason: don't lose your nationals. They are precious. It ticked me off to no end when I learned that the gubbmint did all those weird legal things to make it so D* could no longer provide nationals. I'd kill...well, I'd really like to have the nationals ever since I noted that my grandmother (who got D* some 10 years ago or so) had them. Being from L.A. having that would have been worth whatever commitment D* wanted to enslave me with. Alas, I can't anymore.

But you still can! Don't dump D* or you will Never Get Your Nationals Back [echo, echo, echo...]

walkerjs said:
I have D* and my parents in WV have E*. They got it before I got D*, but I went with D* because I think they had some channels I wanted in the tier level that would require a more expensive tier on E* for me to get. I forget, it's been more than a year. Anyway since then I've had some time to evaluate some of the differences between E* and D* while visiting them over the months, and I've come to the conclusion that D* is just better. I like the D* guide better, I like the remote setup better (for some reason, they have their four TV's set up to have one remote control two TVs/receivers...I don't know why; I think their installer told them it was somehow a good thing to do that...it just confuses me every time I go down there) and now that I have a DirecTivo, I like the DVR a whole lot even if I've only had it a couple of days. Based on what I've heard about E*'s DVR and what I've experienced with D*'s DVR I'd stick with D* just on that.

But the biggest reason: don't lose your nationals. They are precious. It ticked me off to no end when I learned that the gubbmint did all those weird legal things to make it so D* could no longer provide nationals. I'd kill...well, I'd really like to have the nationals ever since I noted that my grandmother (who got D* some 10 years ago or so) had them. Being from L.A. having that would have been worth whatever commitment D* wanted to enslave me with. Alas, I can't anymore.

But you still can! Don't dump D* or you will Never Get Your Nationals Back [echo, echo, echo...]

So D* no longer offers the nationals to people?

Can I get the nationals through E*?

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, allow me to clear up some misunderstandings about DISH Network's service......

- DISH Network's dual-tuner receivers run two televisions with just one box. This cuts down on the D* extra receiver fee of $5.95 per box for each box beyond the first. One could connect 4 TV's with just two E* boxes and save $18 a month over D*. Plus, dual-tuner receivers make it so that you don't have to have a satellite receiver on every TV. If the installation schematics would make a dual-tuner installation difficult or unsightly, you can get regular, single tuner receivers!

- YES, E*'s DVR boxes allow you to schedule shows in advance. You can have them record every episode of a given show or only the new episodes. You can also schedule the box to automatically change the channel to a program when it comes on or just display a reminder on the screen.

- Not only does the E* DVR allow you to record up to 100 hours of programming, it also allows you to share recordings between two televisions.

- If you like Video On Demand, E*'s DVR has it for you (unlike D*). E*'s DVR box also provides picture-in-picture capabilities even if your TV doesn't support PIP.

- As for the post complaining about some latency in the E* program guide, by simply turning off the receiver when it is not in use any lag is easily eliminated. The receiver goes and updates the electronic program guide (EPG) while it is in "standby" mode. If you never turn the receiver off, then it doesn't have the opportunity to update the EPG behind the scenes. Simply turn the receiver off when you turn the TV off.

- E* has more programming tiers than D* giving you more choices to find a package that fits you best. Not to mention that E* flat out has more programming than D*. All of the Sirius Satellite Music channels are included in the Top 120 package and up (very popular)

All that sounds impressive but after having dish for several years and putting with the crappy receivers, constant problems, I would have to say stick with D*. I really wanted dish to work but man did it piss my wife off when the boxes would freeze, the picture would pixilate every evening. Tech after tech couldn't figure it out. I have never had a single issue with D* and it's amazing how the recievers just work. they may not be as advanced as E*, but I would rather have working boxes than door stops. :D

I do have several friends with E* who love the service and have never had any problems. However, I will never switch again.

iceondsom said:
While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, allow me to clear up some misunderstandings about DISH Network's service......

- DISH Network's dual-tuner receivers run two televisions with just one box. This cuts down on the D* extra receiver fee of $5.95 per box for each box beyond the first. One could connect 4 TV's with just two E* boxes and save $18 a month over D*. Plus, dual-tuner receivers make it so that you don't have to have a satellite receiver on every TV. If the installation schematics would make a dual-tuner installation difficult or unsightly, you can get regular, single tuner receivers!

- YES, E*'s DVR boxes allow you to schedule shows in advance. You can have them record every episode of a given show or only the new episodes. You can also schedule the box to automatically change the channel to a program when it comes on or just display a reminder on the screen.

- Not only does the E* DVR allow you to record up to 100 hours of programming, it also allows you to share recordings between two televisions.

- If you like Video On Demand, E*'s DVR has it for you (unlike D*). E*'s DVR box also provides picture-in-picture capabilities even if your TV doesn't support PIP.

- As for the post complaining about some latency in the E* program guide, by simply turning off the receiver when it is not in use any lag is easily eliminated. The receiver goes and updates the electronic program guide (EPG) while it is in "standby" mode. If you never turn the receiver off, then it doesn't have the opportunity to update the EPG behind the scenes. Simply turn the receiver off when you turn the TV off.

- E* has more programming tiers than D* giving you more choices to find a package that fits you best. Not to mention that E* flat out has more programming than D*. All of the Sirius Satellite Music channels are included in the Top 120 package and up (very popular)

slocoma, what are your local channels? The reason I ask, is if your local channels are available on DirecTV, then you have access to a WB feed. If DirecTV does not carry your local channels at this time, then WB programming isn't available to you.

If the WB is that important to you and your wife, you could find a used Dish Network receiver and dish, pay $5 a month for access, and $1.50 for a single WB channel. You'd be better off in the long run to try the service before you buy more. However, that will make you a customer, and then none of the "freebies" will apply.

Let us know what your local channels are, and we can help somewhat. Everyone else is correct about the NY and LA feeds. If you go to Dish Network, you probably won't get them. The qualifications changed last year, due to some new wording in the laws.

Greg Bimson said:
slocoma, what are your local channels? The reason I ask, is if your local channels are available on DirecTV, then you have access to a WB feed. If DirecTV does not carry your local channels at this time, then WB programming isn't available to you.

If the WB is that important to you and your wife, you could find a used Dish Network receiver and dish, pay $5 a month for access, and $1.50 for a single WB channel. You'd be better off in the long run to try the service before you buy more. However, that will make you a customer, and then none of the "freebies" will apply.

Let us know what your local channels are, and we can help somewhat. Everyone else is correct about the NY and LA feeds. If you go to Dish Network, you probably won't get them. The qualifications changed last year, due to some new wording in the laws.

Locals are not available in my area. I've talked to D* many times about getting the WB and have talked to them as recently as late last week. I can't get the WB channel because I don't have a local affiliate.

The funny part about me getting the LA and NY feeds from D* is that I never got waivers. Early this year I called and asked if they were getting locals for my area any time soon. They said it would be possible after the new sats went up, but wouldn't say it was definate. At that point they offered me the LA and NY feeds and I had them later that day without getting waivers. Is that normal?

At any rate, as of Tuesday I canceled D* and switched to E*. No regrets so far. I love the DVR service. I'm getting the locals, but have requested waivers for the LA and NY feeds. E* won't just give them to me.

If you're serious about DVR stability and features, then consider getting/staying with DirecTV.

I had Dish from 1996 thru 2004, got fed up with the DVR goofyness, went with D* and two DirecTivos, which work without a hitch and are feature-rich.

Case in point: Compare the Dish and DirecTV DVR forums here and see how many bug reports and complaints you see.

OK, so how come everytime I get on this web site, there are more users logged in looking at E* than on D*, and its usually about 2 to 1 of them on E*. There might of been one time where I have seen more users on D* than E*, at about 2am Pacific Time...LOL. This makes me think that there are more E* subscribers than there are D*......

As for locals go, I was a D* subscriber for over 4 years with ABC and CBS, LA and NY feeds. NBC and FOX has local affilliates, where ABC and CBS are from Portland, and they use translators on local mountain tops. Than cancelled the service to go to our local cable company (BendBroadBand in Bend Or.) to add internet access through them. Hated the TV service side of it, so I went back to D* and asked for the wavers for the national feeds and got CBS while ABC refused to allow me the feed again. So now I have to get ABC, NBC and FOX on OTA, and what crappy about that is that their Xmitters are all on different mountain tops, so using a directional OTA antenna really doesn't work well without having to get a antenna rotator.

RAL686 said:
OK, so how come everytime I get on this web site, there are more users logged in looking at E* than on D*, and its usually about 2 to 1 of them on E*. There might of been one time where I have seen more users on D* than E*, at about 2am Pacific Time...LOL. This makes me think that there are more E* subscribers than there are D*......

Nah, it just means that people who have E* have more problems with them :D

You don't go to a website to post "hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that everything is a-OK!" You go to the website to ask if anyone else's receivers are pixellating, freezing, randomly rebooting, slow, or dropping channels, and how do you fix it since the company's techs can't or won't figure it out.

Having said that, I am now at my parent's house enjoying their E* service, and apparently after a vodka related remote control incident the E* guys fixed it so that each remote now properly controls each of the TVs hooked up to their two dual tuner boxes. After re-acquainting myself to their guides again I can't really say there is anything glaringly awful about their E* service. Picture's great, guide speedy (even if it's different from my R10...their guides are more similar to my non DVR D* receivers), they have oodles of channels, and looking at their bill, the monthly payment is about on a par for the tier and premiums they subscribe to (HBO/Skinemax.) The only negatives are the kinda goofy remotes, the fact that every night the receivers get some sort of update or call home thing that makes it so it's in a 'Press select to continue' when you turn the TV on in the morning, and...oh yeah when you set a timer to switch to a channel it does so about two minutes prior to the start time of the show. Many channels I watch a lot such as FoodTV, History, and SciFi like to stretch out their shows right to the :59:59 of the hour with no commercials in between. ("...which made the Soviet Union finally collapse into- coming up on the WB, Smallville with..." Hey, what the? I was watching that!)

I, on the other hand love my new DirecTivo and am looking forward to the XM activation in November. My wife kind of wishes she could have the Elvis Sirius station that E* offers but she's got plenty of him on CD/DVD/VHS. She'll live ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts