Switch to E*? / Rant about D* upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Geckotek

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Dallas
So we've got 3 HD tvs in the house; one with a HR10-250 the others w/ standard HD tuners. The other day a rep on the phone says "you need to get the new dish." Not being fully informed I say ok as long as it's free.....I don't want to have to pay for a new HD DVR. So they come out today and inform me that I'll have to loose my OTA antenna or pay to have extra coax run through the house.

The only resolution? Buy all new boxes. This seems like an expensive option and I'm not too happy about it at all. Sure, I'll get more HD channels for my trouble/expense, but I'm still a bit pissed that I'm being forced into an upgrade. If I understand correctly, things will continue working as they are now for a while longer......until they drop the MPEG2 channels.

But I'm just wondering, why not just switch to E*? I personally don't watch sports, so I don't care about ST or anything like that. Any truly compelling reasons I shouldn't give E* a try?

Last edited:
You don't have to upgrade unless you want the new HD channels that started launching this week on DirecTV. The new HD channels use the same frequency as OTA channels so your antenna for OTA channels needs its own coax run. Goto DIRECTV: DIRECTV - HD Overview and check out all the new HD channels coming. If you're not interested in the new HD then you don't have to bother changing anything.

True, I don't have to upgrade now, but will eventually.

But it seems that if I switch to E*, I'll get more HD channels right off the bat w/o having to pay for the equipment.

True, I don't have to upgrade now, but will eventually.

But it seems that if I switch to E*, I'll get more HD channels right off the bat w/o having to pay for the equipment.

With the equipment you already have you will most likely be able to get some free upgrades from D*. Don't think that E* just gives away all their equipment.

They don't give it away, I would have to sign an 18 month commitment.

Even with a commitment to D*, I'd be out some cash buying 3 receivers. I haven't called to verify pricing, but looks like $299 for the HD DVR. And twice now they stiffed me on rebates amounting to $300. Not too happy w/ D* in general.

They don't give it away, I would have to sign an 18 month commitment.

Even with a commitment to D*, I'd be out some cash buying 3 receivers. I haven't called to verify pricing, but looks like $299 for the HD DVR. And twice now they stiffed me on rebates amounting to $300. Not too happy w/ D* in general.

You will still shell out some cash to E* if you switch.

Ok, I decided to make sure I was comparing apples to apples.

D* just quoted me $198 to upgrade my DVR and one receiver if I sign a 2 year agreement. Apparently one of my receivers didn't need an upgrade (it's my roommates...didn't know what model he had.) I also found out I am still under contract until December. But I think cancelling is only about $15/month or something like that. To be honest, this is a lot cheaper than I expected.

E* just quoted me $49.99 activation fee (refunded 1st month) and no up front fees for the equipment.....just $12/month extra for 2 additional tuners. This is with an 18 month commitment. It seems that E* still treats the equipment the way cable providers do.....they own and maintain the tuners, you don't have to purchase it.

So no, I really don't have to shell out any cash for E*.

That is a new change for E* then. It was not like that a few months ago. I just left E* three months ago becuase they would not let me get a 622 without paying $400

Besides trying to charge you for the box, did you have other complaints? Since you've had both now, how would you say they compare?

The way I see it, to stick w/ D* costs me $200, so there needs to be $200 worth of compelling reasons to stay.

Well theoretically in the next year as even more HD channels get added, that might be worth 200 bucks. But for right now, all Directv's hard work has been just to sort of play catch up.

In the long run though, those 100+ HD channels are gonna be pretty awesome and everyone else is gonna be playing catch up for a while. I guess if you don't care about Sports though, I could see how it might not seem too special. Personally the idea of having all my league passes in glorious HD makes me really, really excited.

You aren't really comparing apples to apples. You are a current D* subscriber and you are getting a deal to upgrade. As JAG72 just pointed out, E* really doesn't deal much with their existing customers when it comes time to upgrade. You are getting a deal now because you are switching. At some point down the line, you might want to upgrade and then you will have to shell out for it. Perhaps more than the $200 dollar difference right now.

You might also want to check on that cancellation fee with D*. I think their policy changed when they went to a lease program. It might not be that $15 per month thing.

Finally, if you are serious about switching, call D* and ask to speak to retention. You might get an even better deal than the one you were quoted.

Besides trying to charge you for the box, did you have other complaints? Since you've had both now, how would you say they compare?

The way I see it, to stick w/ D* costs me $200, so there needs to be $200 worth of compelling reasons to stay.

My complaints are:

1) Would lose the 129 sat with any rain. 129 is where my locals and HD channels were located.

2) Not one time that I called did I get a CSR that spoke English.

3) Upgade costs to get a 2nd HD DVR. Dish would not deal at all with me.

It's apples to apples for me in my current situation.

I'm not sure that maybe I wasn't already talking to retention. I asked about pricing, was told $300 for DVR + $99 for each addt'l rcvr. When I asked about discount for renwal, I got transferred.....not sure if it was retention or not. Maybe I'll call back and ask again.

Have you had D* long enough to compare the rain fade between the 2?

IIRC, last time I spoke to Dish, they said they don't do 2 DVRs for some reason. Was that wrong?

The new HD channels use the same frequency as OTA channels so your antenna for OTA

HUH? I don't think so. They are on completely different frequencies. The reason for the new coax is that they were most likely installed with diplexers and that the diplexers get in the way of a needed dc voltage on the coax. There are other threads stating that if the bband converter is moved ahead of the diplexer all will be ok, but I have not tested this setup because I have never used diplexers due to signal degredation.

HUH? I don't think so. They are on completely different frequencies. The reason for the new coax is that they were most likely installed with diplexers and that the diplexers get in the way of a needed dc voltage on the coax. There are other threads stating that if the bband converter is moved ahead of the diplexer all will be ok, but I have not tested this setup because I have never used diplexers due to signal degredation.

They are the same freqencies. It's plenty of power passing both port diplexers. The Bband converter ahead of the dixplexer in theory switched the Frequency when called for.

i disagree, diplexers do not pass dc voltages period. i am not from missourri but you are going to have to show me on this one.

Considering they would have to pass DC voltage from the receiver to the LNB to change the channel on the receiver, yes they do. When changing channels, the receiver sends a voltage &/or control tone to tell the multiswitch which sat to select and which transponders (odd/even) to use.

Ok, I decided to make sure I was comparing apples to apples.

D* just quoted me $198 to upgrade my DVR and one receiver if I sign a 2 year agreement. Apparently one of my receivers didn't need an upgrade (it's my roommates...didn't know what model he had.) I also found out I am still under contract until December. But I think cancelling is only about $15/month or something like that. To be honest, this is a lot cheaper than I expected.

E* just quoted me $49.99 activation fee (refunded 1st month) and no up front fees for the equipment.....just $12/month extra for 2 additional tuners. This is with an 18 month commitment. It seems that E* still treats the equipment the way cable providers do.....they own and maintain the tuners, you don't have to purchase it.

So no, I really don't have to shell out any cash for E*.

So why not switch instead of asking us to talk you out of it ? You should do what you think is best for you, not what someone else thinks. I like D* but I am an NFL fan. You're not so I think that without Sunday Ticket both services are about the same. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)