Switch to Eastern Arc?

paultry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Southeast Alabama
I'm in southeast Alabama, in the southwestern corner of the Dothan DMA; 722k with OTA module, western arc (110,119,129), Dish America. Dothan DISH locals on the western arc are SD only, HD locals are available on the eastern arc 61.5 satellite (http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Dothan, AL). I'm in a fringe OTA reception area. I'm using a high gain, long range Channel Master rooftop antenna with pre-amp. OTA reception of the Dothan ABC and FOX stations is poor to non-existent. HD OTA reception of Panama City ABC and Montgomery FOX is usually good but is easily affected by weather and atmospherics - very frustrating losing signal in the middle of a recorded program. I record ABC and FOX shows twice - OTA HD and DISH SD - and often have to switch to the SD recording to finish watching a program. I'd like to receive DISH locals in HD.

Option 1) I may be able to switch to the eastern arc. I have an installer coming out tomorrow to do a site survey. If he finds a clear view of the eastern arc, he would install a twin LNBF to receive the 72.7 and 61.5 satellites.

Option 2) Stay with the western arc setup that I have but add a second dish for the 61.5 satellite.

Option 3) "Move" a few miles down the road (and across the state line) to the Panama City DMA, which offers HD locals via the 61.5 and 129 satellites (http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Panama City, FL). I'd be just inside the yellow loop of the 129 spot beam's footprint. This would conceivably eliminate the need for new hardware but would increase sales tax by about $6 per month.

Questions: Assuming clear view of the sky in either direction, how does eastern arc reception, rain fade, etc compare to the western arc? Is it feasible to add a 61.5 dish to my western arc setup? Will the 722k receiver encounter any conflicts receiving locals on two satellites? Is there any way for me to test the signal strength of the Panama City locals on the 129 satellite before "moving"?

Answers to these questions and any other constructive input/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

can you tell us what happen after the technician visit. we can learn from your experience with this problem

what dish and lnb will you use for 61.5? please keep us advise. I would like to do the same as you but would like to know if it works .

I should explain a little more.
I say that would be my first choice because;
1. WA in my experiences loses the signal less often and for less time than the EA.
2. It gives a little redundancy - some channels on the WA will also be on 61.5 should one or the other have a problem.
3. I have a combination of the partial WA and full EA now using two dishes and a DP44 switch and like it. Having both has come in handy a few times.

However on the side of just getting a new EA set-up;
1. Less complicated, no need for the DP44 switch, one dish, less to go wrong.
2. Thousands of people are on the EA and do not normally lose the signal, and especially if they use the newer DISH that is specifically for 61.5 and and 72 (Just two satellites instead of the older one that was for 3) you should get good signals.

So on further review, since you are having a tech come out, if they want to install a new EA set-up and that gets you locals in HD, that may be the way to go. I'm all for "moving" but if you can accomplish getting HD locals the normal way, probably a better choice.

Tech came out - BTW, he's a local guy with a local phone number - not a 1-800 - a father and son independent DISH and Direct dealer - just the two of them doing installs. I'd been out with my Boy Scout-style compass trying to figure out if the EA was going to be clear of some trees out back. He had a smart phone app which uses his phone's camera to display a real-time view from the existing dish location - full color photo image of the trees in question with the 61.5 and 72.7 satellites super-imposed on the image well clear of the trees. Wish I had that when I put in a C-Band dish 24 years ago! Anyway, we kicked it around. He wasn't interested in installing a separate 61.5 dish and couldn't/wouldn't say if I'd be able to get DISH to authorize/turn-on EA locals on 61.5 while main dish is on WA. He said he could reconfigure my WA dish for EA with a new 61.5/72.7 LNB in about 30 minutes at no charge - DISH would foot the bill as a free upgrade to get the HD locals. It seemed like the best, least complicated option so I gave him the go ahead. He called DISH at my request to verify there would be no change of programming, that all of my Dish America channels were available on the EA, and that there would be no charge and no new commitment. He did his thing, ran a check switch, got a good lock on both satellites, got a new guide download, and everything worked as it should. Probably just my imagination, but EA picture seems to be sharper, colors more vivid. I know a locked digital signal on either arc should give the same image, but I was especially pleased with the picture quality on today's NASCAR race on ESPN and tonight's NFL game on FOX. No significant rainfall since the install so no way yet to judge rain fade. I'm happy with the outcome - just irked to find out HD locals have been available on the EA here since last Fall. With all of the times I've call DISH to inquire about HD availability, you'd think they'd have a system in place to notify customers of available upgrades.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
Is it possible to have a system setup, yes. Their current system though, has you locked into which satellites and systems you have. It is usually wrong and although the intent of it is great, is a stupid stupid implementation.

With all of the times I've call DISH to inquire about HD availability, you'd think they'd have a system in place to notify customers of available upgrades.

Glad you got your HD up and running!

The easiest way to find what local channels and type (SD/HD) you have available on either arc are the Market sortable (click the market header) tables at Satellite Guys "The List".

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

The easiest way to find what local channels and type (SD/HD) you have available on either arc are the Market sortable (click the market header) tables at Satellite Guys "The List".

"The List" and LyngSat are sources that I used. I was looking because the phone company is currently promoting Direct with HD locals. Some searching to verify their ad led me to DISH HD locals on the EA. Without that, I might have been lured to the Dark Side. Seems to me it would be a pretty simple algorithm to identify subscribers in the DMA on the WA already paying for HD programming, and to send a notice that HD locals are now available. There are probably many more folks paying every month for SD programming when HD is available for the same price. Any DISH reps listening?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)