Switch Video Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wmstar

Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Essex County, NJ
I've had an ongoing problem for at least the last nine or ten months now with reception of Channels 720 (Big 10 Network) and 791 (NHL Network). At some point later in the evening around 9:30 or 10:00 PM if I go to watch these channels I get a on-screen message that they are not currently available and I should try again later.

Cablevision had techs come down twice only to inform me this was called a "switch video" issue. It was described to me as an engineering design flaw that Cablevision was aware of and working to correct. It seemed to clear up for a while but it's back again. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was Cablevision's solution?

Thanks all!

Bill

Are you using a TiVo with Cable Card? Or an actual CableVision supplied box?

In short cable companies can't just put a new satellite when they want to add more channels. They only have one copper line coming into your home; they could do all fiber to the house like Verizon. BUT 99.99999% of cable companies will not do that.

So Cisco came (I think it was cisco) up with a way to take that copper line and add many more channels then it can handle. Cablevision put out a standard number of channels that are always on. BUT some channels (I think CV has about 70-90) are only sent over the line and only to the houses that tune to the channel.

Logically its a smart system and I think its a good idea! BUT the issue is well it has some bugs in! Its almost an IPTV system...

This has been an issue for a couple years now with CableVision and many other operators - I think its still a BETA design and should have never been rolled out. BUT it does get people more HD channels and not adding much to the over cost to the company which means as the customer we save as well.

I've had an ongoing problem for at least the last nine or ten months now with reception of Channels 720 (Big 10 Network) and 791 (NHL Network). At some point later in the evening around 9:30 or 10:00 PM if I go to watch these channels I get a on-screen message that they are not currently available and I should try again later.

Cablevision had techs come down twice only to inform me this was called a "switch video" issue. It was described to me as an engineering design flaw that Cablevision was aware of and working to correct. It seemed to clear up for a while but it's back again. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was Cablevision's solution?

Thanks all!

Bill

Are you using a TiVo with Cable Card? Or an actual CableVision supplied box?

Thanks for your thoughts johnner19999. I'm using the infamous SA 8300 HD box.

In short cable companies can't just put a new satellite when they want to add more channels. They only have one copper line coming into your home; they could do all fiber to the house like Verizon. BUT 99.99999% of cable companies will not do that.

One of CV's techs that came out to check my problem a few months back was possibly the most honest guy I've come across when dealing with Cablevision. He was the one who told me that the fiber optic cable goes only as far as the pole outside my apartment complex. from the pole in it's still all copper wire. He also told me CV's engineers were aware beforehand that this switch video situation would present problems but went ahead with anyway just so CV could advertise they had more HD channels.

So Cisco came (I think it was cisco) up with a way to take that copper line and add many more channels then it can handle. Cablevision put out a standard number of channels that are always on. BUT some channels (I think CV has about 70-90) are only sent over the line and only to the houses that tune to the channel.

Logically its a smart system and I think its a good idea! BUT the issue is well it has some bugs in! Its almost an IPTV system...

In theory it's a fine idea it's just that it affects the channels that I want to watch. Add in the fact that I'm paying the extra few bucks a month for the Sports Pak just so I can watch these channels in HD.

This has been an issue for a couple years now with CableVision and many other operators - I think its still a BETA design and should have never been rolled out. BUT it does get people more HD channels and not adding much to the over cost to the company which means as the customer we save as well.

I thank you once again for your input and thoughts.

Bill

Is there a solution for this yet? I have had two techs at my house, all of my lines are clean, low noise, but NHL Network HD, Big Ten Network HD give me the Channel currently not available message. I have to contact a supervisor now. I hate that I am paying for this...

The fix is they are doing away with it for everything except international and subscription sports league packages. The transition will come a couple of months after your area goes all digital. They did away with it in CT in September.

Last correspondence I had from Cablevision a few weeks back was because I was the only one in my area/neighborhood to complain about this problem, there was nothing they could do about it. Now THAT'S what I call customer service!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)